Dia Compe 287V brake levers - mtb with dropdown handlebar

Keiron

Guest
hi,

i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are compatible
with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives? not that these don't look
like fine levers but just wondering really.

thanks

"Keiron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi,
>
> i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
> mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are compatible
> with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives?

Confused. What's does commercial alternative mean?

Greg

Keiron wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
> mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are compatible
> with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives? not that these don't look
> like fine levers but just wondering really.

AFAIK, 287Vs are the only drop bar levers compatible with V brakes.
There are, of course, "adapters" such as the Travel Agent.

FWIW, I've used 287Vs w/Shimano LX V brakes since '99. Perhaps not a
perfect solution, but,IMO, the best choice out there for a V brake/drop
bar set up.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:43:18 GMT, "Keiron" <[email protected]> wrote:

>mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are compatible
>with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives? not that these don't look

Unless you really insist on v-brakes, there's always Avid Shorty (and
Tektro) cantilevers, which in my experience brake just as much as a
tipical v-brake, and gets you some better modulation.

My point being, of course, cantilevers can be used with "normal" drop
bars levers.

jbr

PS - The cantilvers mentioned above can take exactly the same type of
brake pads as v-brakes.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:43:18 GMT, "Keiron" <[email protected]> wrote:

>hi,
>
>i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
>mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are compatible
>with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives? not that these don't look
>like fine levers but just wondering really.

I believe those are your only commercially available option.

There is the travel agent gadget for translating caliper pull into V-brake
action.

Ron

G.T. <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Keiron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > hi,
> >
> > i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
> > mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are

compatible
> > with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives?

> Confused. What's does commercial alternative mean?
>
> Greg

I.e. not cobbled together in workshop, not home brew. suppose it makes the
dia compe sound as such, not my intention. basically looking for ease of set
up.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Keiron wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
> > mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are

compatible
> > with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives? not that these don't

look
> > like fine levers but just wondering really.
> >

> AFAIK, 287Vs are the only drop bar levers compatible with V brakes.
> There are, of course, "adapters" such as the Travel Agent.
>
> FWIW, I've used 287Vs w/Shimano LX V brakes since '99. Perhaps not a
> perfect solution, but,IMO, the best choice out there for a V brake/drop
> bar set up.

is this not quite tough to pull the levers? I think i'll stick with Vs as
they're in place. centre pull cantis would require further, too costly,
adaption at this point but will bear this in mind for more afluent times.
cheers

BigBen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:43:18 GMT, "Keiron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are compatible
> >with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives? not that these don't

look

> Unless you really insist on v-brakes, there's always Avid Shorty (and
> Tektro) cantilevers, which in my experience brake just as much as a
> tipical v-brake, and gets you some better modulation.
>
> My point being, of course, cantilevers can be used with "normal" drop
> bars levers.

I see. currently i'm only a bar and levers away from a complete bike, with
the breaks already in place i think i'd like to stick with them (cantis
route would cost much more, from what i can see), if this leads to a shiny
new tourer in the future, and i hope it does, i'll be sure to remember this
but for now i'll stick with the Vs.
cheers.

RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:43:18 GMT, "Keiron" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >hi,
> >
> >i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
> >mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are compatible
> >with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives? not that these don't

look
> >like fine levers but just wondering really.

> I believe those are your only commercially available option.
>
> There is the travel agent gadget for translating caliper pull into V-brake
> action.
>
> Ron

Cheers Ron,
i've considered these but i think as buying new levers anyway i'll go for
dia compe, this particular project is all about the ease :p
many thanks

Keiron wrote:
> G.T. <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Keiron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>hi,
>>>
>>>i am, courtesy of SB, aware of all the incompatibility of roadbars and
>>>mtbs/v-brakes etc and that the Dia Compe 287V brake levers are

> compatible
>
>>>with Vs but are there any commercial alternatives?

>>Confused. What's does commercial alternative mean?
>>
>>Greg
>>

> I.e. not cobbled together in workshop, not home brew. suppose it makes the
> dia compe sound as such, not my intention. basically looking for ease of set
> up.

Yeah, after the others responded I realized that. I have 287Vs and they
work well except for a little more cable drag than other road levers
like Shimano 105s.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven