diadora shoes

dannyyy

Nov 7, 2006
what do you think of diadora road shoes, in general?
Are they underrated, or are they not made as well as brands like sidi?

I have a Diadora road shoe and MTB shoe and also a Sidi MTB shoe. Although I can't really compare the Diadora and Sidi as one is for road and the other off road, I like the Techno 2 buckle system of the Sidi. I find dialling in your foot size better and more secure than just velcro. My diadora has three velcro straps but I find that there is still a little bit of movement when I'm clipped in. One thing to note (from my experience), the Diadora MTB shoe sizing seems to be spot on (I take a size 42) but their road shoes seem to be on the small size (bought a 42.5 but it still seems to be on the small size; not good for those with wide feet either). The soles are reasonably stiff and they seem to be durable; no major wear or damage to mine with almost one years use so far. If I remember the model i'll post it.

dannyyy said:
what do you think of diadora road shoes, in general?
Are they underrated, or are they not made as well as brands like sidi?
I had a pair of Diadora road shoes a few years back. I thought they were pretty good. I agree with the other post that they ran a bit small and narrow in the fit. I'm on Specialized road and MTB right now and am satisfied.

another question that i have is... what makes sidi's better than the other shoes? Or do most people wear them for the "pro" style points

dannyyy said:
another question that i have is... what makes sidi's better than the other shoes? Or do most people wear them for the "pro" style points

I went with SIDI Genius 5 Megas because I normally 2E wide shoes. And though not many other brands offer wide widths in the first place, I wish SIDI would offer more of their models--especially the new Genius 6.6 Carbon--in Mega sizes.

dannyyy said:

Diadora make good shoes. Sidi make good shoes. Sidi pay more pros to wear theirs, and people want to look like their heros. Sidi's biggest advantage (IMHO) is a wide range of width fittings. Look for what fits first. Then look at the technical features. Then look at the styling and the price.

I'm not sure what a "last" is but apparently Sidi's are made on a 15 degree last. At least that's what a Sidi rep told me a long time ago.

I used to ride Diadoras but switched to Sidis. I have flat feet and the Sidis seemed to work better for me - I'm on my 5th set or so, and I keep each one for a few years. They fit me really well. I try everything that comes out - Time, Carnac, Specialized, Northwave, Diadora, etc. But I inevitablely return to the Sidis.

The one disadvantage of the normal sole was one I never realized until I saw one pro chiding another for using the "flexi-flyer" shoes at a team presentation (Sidi did not sponsor the team). The non-carbon Sidis are a lot more flexible than many of the new carbon soled shoes as the chiding pro showed his well-known teammate (and me, in the background). The other pro shrugged and said something about racing in "aero shoe covers" the whole season to cover up his non-sponsor shoe choice. To his credit he decided to use the sponsor's pedals which everyone there apparently hated.

However, the newest Sidis (all buckles and string ones) seem to have lower heel cups which I dislike. My achilles feels unsupported and it feels like the show is about to fall off my foot. Since I never had problems with my achilles, I didn't want to change the way they were supported (or not). So I have to stay with the "lessor" strap and buckle Sidis. I recently got the one with all straps as well since they also have a deep heel cup (they are still new, they are my spares now).

Diadoras, for me, were too wide and the toe box too square. However I desperately wanted to use them (not sure why - price? weight? stiffness?) and tried to get along with them. Eventually I gave up. Nothing wrong with them, just didn't fit as well.

An interesting thing - if you line up at a bike race around here, most of the racers will have on Sidis. With so many other shoes out there, and so many of them cheaper, I think it's telling that more racers use Sidis.

cdr