Did chicken taste better years ago?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Donna, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Donna

    Donna Guest

    Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    say, 30 years ago?

    Donna

    Tags:

  2. Donna wrote:

    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it

    did,
    > say, 30 years ago?

    I think most of it is a feature of how human memory works and what
    effect that has on our beliefs. In the Illiad and Odessey you can find
    references that previous times had been better and that each generation
    led down hill. Sounds to me like an extension of their own memory.

    Anyways, chicken can't have been all that different 30 years ago even
    with better knowledge of genetics. Another 30 years from now on the
    other hand ...

    There has been quite a change in how chickens are grown. 50 or
    more years ago almost the only chickens in any market were free
    range ones. To taste what chickens were like 30 years ago, get some
    freshly butchered free rane chickens. I think to the extent you can
    tell the difference from run-of-the-mill-store-bought but still think
    your
    memories are better, I think that difference is how memory works not
    how chicken is different.

  3. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Donna wrote:
    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    > say, 30 years ago?
    >
    > Donna

    1) You were probably hungrier 30 years ago.

    2) Thirty years ago, chickens were not "enhanced with up to 15%
    solution" of sodium polyphosphate. (tumbled or injected with salty
    water to make them heavier, since they are sold by weight)

    Bob

  4. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:42:02 -0600, "Donna"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    >say, 30 years ago?
    >
    >Donna

    Yes... Definitely...

    But so did everything else <g>...

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

  5. On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:59:05 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Donna wrote:
    >> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    >> say, 30 years ago?
    >>
    >> Donna

    >1) You were probably hungrier 30 years ago.
    >
    >2) Thirty years ago, chickens were not "enhanced with up to 15%
    >solution" of sodium polyphosphate. (tumbled or injected with salty
    >water to make them heavier, since they are sold by weight)

    And your tastebuds were 30 years younger. :)

    --
    Siobhan Perricone
    Humans wrote the bible,

  6. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-01-03, Donna <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    > say, 30 years ago?

    No, chicken really doesn't taste like chicken, anymore. The difference is
    even more pronounced compared to chicken 40-50 years ago. You can still
    experience the real deal if you can find sources that aren't aimed at the
    mass market or raise your own.

    nb

  7. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Donna wrote:

    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    > say, 30 years ago?
    >
    > Donna

    Easy experiment: get a supermarket chicken (with added 'solution',
    hormones and antibiotics etc) and a genuinely freerange properly-fed
    chicken (not always easy to find). Cook them both the same way and
    taste.

  8. L

    L Guest

    On 3-Jan-2005, "Donna" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    > say, 30 years ago?
    >
    > Donna

    Better is very subjective, but chicken certainly tastes different than it
    did 30 years ago; as does, bologna, breakfast sausage etc.

    30 years ago their was much more variety; meat generally came from regional
    processors who had their own way of doing things. Chickens were of a wider
    variety, such as plymouth rock, rhode island red, etc - where you were
    raised determined your tastes. Now, everything has been "standardized", you
    get the same chicken regardless of where you are; a Tyson chicken is a Tyson
    chicken and since it is a big production operation, the chickens are bred
    for the big processors - whether its Tyson or whatever, its pretty much the
    same bird, raised the same way on the same feed. My grandmother raised her
    own, mostly rhode island reds, and nothing today can touch her birds for
    flavor. Of course, it could have been the seasonings, or the cooking in/on
    a coal-fired stove or maybe just my fond memories of granny make the memory
    better than the reality.

    However, if you want "better" tasting chicken, try finding a small operation
    that hasn't bred all the variation out; you'll find only bland, processor
    chickens at most supermarkets. Perhaps you have local farmers who sell
    free-range chickens that will be closer to what you had in the past. Or,
    you might try Whole Foods if there is one in your area. Regardless, look
    for a small operation to get tastier foods; to sell in supermarkets the
    flavor has to appeal to a very broad range of tastes.

    Good luck finding a chicken you like; I'm still looking for bologna even
    remotely close to the great stuff I had as a kid in western Kentucky; franks
    too.

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

  9. George

    George Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:
    > Donna wrote:
    >
    >> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it
    >> did, say, 30 years ago?
    >>
    >> Donna

    > 1) You were probably hungrier 30 years ago.
    >
    > 2) Thirty years ago, chickens were not "enhanced with up to 15%
    > solution" of sodium polyphosphate. (tumbled or injected with salty

    Sure, if you buy your meat/poultry at Wally. Thankfully there are 2
    local markets around here where we can buy "un-enhanced" meat...

    > water to make them heavier, since they are sold by weight)
    >
    > Bob

  10. George

    George Guest

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2005-01-03, Donna <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    >>say, 30 years ago?

    > No, chicken really doesn't taste like chicken, anymore. The difference is
    > even more pronounced compared to chicken 40-50 years ago. You can still
    > experience the real deal if you can find sources that aren't aimed at the
    > mass market or raise your own.
    >
    > nb

    Yes, my buddys dad raised chickens as a hobby when he retired. There was
    an amazing difference in taste between them and the typical "enhanced"
    chicken found in the big box stores.

  11. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Donna wrote:

    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    > say, 30 years ago?

    Thirty years ago I was just starting to learn how to cook. Chicken has
    always been one of my favourite meats, and I have lots of good ways to
    prepare it, so it's been getting better for me.

  12. On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:42:02 -0600, "Donna" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    >say, 30 years ago?

    If you are buying factory chicken you are quite right. That is
    "Progress." Same with factory pork.

    Depending on where you live, you can still get chicken-flavored
    chicken if you are willing to pay for it, but probably not in a
    supermarket.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Entering your freshman dorm for the first time, and seeing
    an axe head come through the door on your right.

  13. >Good luck finding a chicken you like; I'm still looking for bologna

    even
    >remotely close to the great stuff I had as a kid in western Kentucky;

    franks
    >too.

    L's remark about franks made me think that supermarket management can
    play a major role in monotonizing our food choices. Some years ago
    our local Albertson's started carrying Johnsonville sausages from
    Minnesota. Along with the brats and Italians they also carried their
    natural casing franks. Now Johnsonville is a great big company but
    the franks were of good old-fashioned quality, competitively priced,
    with a nice snap when you bit into them. But, the local management
    didn't place them with the main batch of Johsonville products but in a
    corner of a showcase where nobody would expect to find franks. Soon,
    they quit carrying them. I complained and was told they just didn't
    sell- Duh! I wonder why not. You can get natural casing franks at our
    local chain, which is pretentious and overpriced, but they are from
    Boarshead and aren't as good and almost twice the price. Just to be
    fair to the markets though, I think that part of the problem may be
    that local consumers don't take franks seriously and think that they
    just some more junk for children to eat. I guess I should also add
    that the quirky little burg where I live has more than it's share of
    veg-heads, animal nuts, and members of the organic religion.

    D.M.

  14. Tony P.

    Tony P. Guest

    says...
    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    > say, 30 years ago?

    Both pork and poultry tasted better thirty years ago for several
    reasons.

    First is that they weren't pumping the animals full of hormones and
    other crap back then.

    Lastly it is because we've bred our animals to be lean. Fat does lend a
    large amount of flavor to many foods.

    Brining seems to be the only way to get chicken or pork that tastes
    good.

  15. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-01-04, Tony P <[email protected]> wrote:

    > First is that they weren't pumping the animals full of hormones and
    > other crap back then.

    Yeah, they were. I first heard about using these things like insecticide
    inserts and stilbesterol way back in the early 70's. There was a major
    expose book written called Buyer Beware or Consumer Beware or some such. It
    was so gross I didn't eat meat for 6 mos. No kidding.

    nb

  16. sf

    sf Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
    > say, 30 years ago?
    >
    > Donna

    It's you.

    sf

  17. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:28:30 -0500, George
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes, my buddys dad raised chickens as a hobby when he retired. There was
    > an amazing difference in taste between them and the typical "enhanced"
    > chicken found in the big box stores.

    Compare like to like. I don't think that comparing home
    farm raised chickens with mass produced chickens is an
    objective comparison.

    Chickens were mass produced 30... yes even 50 years ago, and
    I don't think the taste has changed. It still tastes like
    chicken.

    sf

  18. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 23:21:43 GMT, "L" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > 30 years ago their was much more variety; meat generally came from regional
    > processors who had their own way of doing things.

    How young are you? Meat was mass produced 30 years ago and
    there wasn't much to say about most regional producers other
    than they were regional mass producers.

    sf
    who remembers when Foster Farms wasn't a national brand

    sf

  19. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:43:19 -0500, Tony P.
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Lastly it is because we've bred our animals to be lean. Fat does lend a
    > large amount of flavor to many foods.

    30 years ago pork was going lean - but 40 years ago, pork
    was so full of fat that it was absolutely disgusting to eat.
    I love it now, but you couldn't have paid me to eat pork
    roast even 35 years ago.

    sf

  20. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-01-04, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > who remembers when Foster Farms wasn't a national brand

    [raises hand]

    I remember when FF didn't even do chicken. They were a local dairy
    operation in Modesto, CA. We'd buy at local dairy co-op drive throughs or
    have it delivered.

    nb