Did chicken taste better years ago?

Donna

Guest
Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
say, 30 years ago?

Donna

Donna wrote:

> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it

did,
> say, 30 years ago?

I think most of it is a feature of how human memory works and what
effect that has on our beliefs. In the Illiad and Odessey you can find
references that previous times had been better and that each generation
led down hill. Sounds to me like an extension of their own memory.

Anyways, chicken can't have been all that different 30 years ago even
with better knowledge of genetics. Another 30 years from now on the
other hand ...

There has been quite a change in how chickens are grown. 50 or
more years ago almost the only chickens in any market were free
range ones. To taste what chickens were like 30 years ago, get some
freshly butchered free rane chickens. I think to the extent you can
tell the difference from run-of-the-mill-store-bought but still think
your
memories are better, I think that difference is how memory works not
how chicken is different.

Donna wrote:
> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
> say, 30 years ago?
>
> Donna

1) You were probably hungrier 30 years ago.

2) Thirty years ago, chickens were not "enhanced with up to 15%
solution" of sodium polyphosphate. (tumbled or injected with salty
water to make them heavier, since they are sold by weight)

Bob

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:42:02 -0600, "Donna"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
>say, 30 years ago?
>
>Donna

Yes... Definitely...

But so did everything else <g>...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:59:05 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:

>Donna wrote:
>> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
>> say, 30 years ago?
>>
>> Donna

>1) You were probably hungrier 30 years ago.
>
>2) Thirty years ago, chickens were not "enhanced with up to 15%
>solution" of sodium polyphosphate. (tumbled or injected with salty
>water to make them heavier, since they are sold by weight)

And your tastebuds were 30 years younger. :)

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

On 2005-01-03, Donna <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
> say, 30 years ago?

No, chicken really doesn't taste like chicken, anymore. The difference is
even more pronounced compared to chicken 40-50 years ago. You can still
experience the real deal if you can find sources that aren't aimed at the
mass market or raise your own.

nb

Donna wrote:

> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
> say, 30 years ago?
>
> Donna

Easy experiment: get a supermarket chicken (with added 'solution',
hormones and antibiotics etc) and a genuinely freerange properly-fed
chicken (not always easy to find). Cook them both the same way and
taste.

On 3-Jan-2005, "Donna" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
> say, 30 years ago?
>
> Donna

Better is very subjective, but chicken certainly tastes different than it
did 30 years ago; as does, bologna, breakfast sausage etc.

30 years ago their was much more variety; meat generally came from regional
processors who had their own way of doing things. Chickens were of a wider
variety, such as plymouth rock, rhode island red, etc - where you were
raised determined your tastes. Now, everything has been "standardized", you
get the same chicken regardless of where you are; a Tyson chicken is a Tyson
chicken and since it is a big production operation, the chickens are bred
for the big processors - whether its Tyson or whatever, its pretty much the
same bird, raised the same way on the same feed. My grandmother raised her
own, mostly rhode island reds, and nothing today can touch her birds for
flavor. Of course, it could have been the seasonings, or the cooking in/on
a coal-fired stove or maybe just my fond memories of granny make the memory
better than the reality.

However, if you want "better" tasting chicken, try finding a small operation
that hasn't bred all the variation out; you'll find only bland, processor
chickens at most supermarkets. Perhaps you have local farmers who sell
free-range chickens that will be closer to what you had in the past. Or,
you might try Whole Foods if there is one in your area. Regardless, look
for a small operation to get tastier foods; to sell in supermarkets the
flavor has to appeal to a very broad range of tastes.

Good luck finding a chicken you like; I'm still looking for bologna even
remotely close to the great stuff I had as a kid in western Kentucky; franks
too.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

zxcvbob wrote:
> Donna wrote:
>
>> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it
>> did, say, 30 years ago?
>>
>> Donna

> 1) You were probably hungrier 30 years ago.
>
> 2) Thirty years ago, chickens were not "enhanced with up to 15%
> solution" of sodium polyphosphate. (tumbled or injected with salty

Sure, if you buy your meat/poultry at Wally. Thankfully there are 2
local markets around here where we can buy "un-enhanced" meat...

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-01-03, Donna <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
>>say, 30 years ago?

> No, chicken really doesn't taste like chicken, anymore. The difference is
> even more pronounced compared to chicken 40-50 years ago. You can still
> experience the real deal if you can find sources that aren't aimed at the
> mass market or raise your own.
>
> nb

Yes, my buddys dad raised chickens as a hobby when he retired. There was
an amazing difference in taste between them and the typical "enhanced"
chicken found in the big box stores.

Donna wrote:

> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
> say, 30 years ago?

Thirty years ago I was just starting to learn how to cook. Chicken has
always been one of my favourite meats, and I have lots of good ways to
prepare it, so it's been getting better for me.

wrote:

>Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
>say, 30 years ago?

If you are buying factory chicken you are quite right. That is
"Progress." Same with factory pork.

Depending on where you live, you can still get chicken-flavored
chicken if you are willing to pay for it, but probably not in a
supermarket.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Entering your freshman dorm for the first time, and seeing
an axe head come through the door on your right.

>Good luck finding a chicken you like; I'm still looking for bologna

even
>remotely close to the great stuff I had as a kid in western Kentucky;

franks
>too.

L's remark about franks made me think that supermarket management can
play a major role in monotonizing our food choices. Some years ago
our local Albertson's started carrying Johnsonville sausages from
Minnesota. Along with the brats and Italians they also carried their
natural casing franks. Now Johnsonville is a great big company but
the franks were of good old-fashioned quality, competitively priced,
with a nice snap when you bit into them. But, the local management
didn't place them with the main batch of Johsonville products but in a
corner of a showcase where nobody would expect to find franks. Soon,
they quit carrying them. I complained and was told they just didn't
sell- Duh! I wonder why not. You can get natural casing franks at our
local chain, which is pretentious and overpriced, but they are from
Boarshead and aren't as good and almost twice the price. Just to be
fair to the markets though, I think that part of the problem may be
that local consumers don't take franks seriously and think that they
just some more junk for children to eat. I guess I should also add
that the quirky little burg where I live has more than it's share of
veg-heads, animal nuts, and members of the organic religion.

D.M.

says...
> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
> say, 30 years ago?

Both pork and poultry tasted better thirty years ago for several
reasons.

First is that they weren't pumping the animals full of hormones and
other **** back then.

Lastly it is because we've bred our animals to be lean. Fat does lend a
large amount of flavor to many foods.

Brining seems to be the only way to get chicken or pork that tastes
good.

On 2005-01-04, Tony P <[email protected]> wrote:

> First is that they weren't pumping the animals full of hormones and
> other **** back then.

Yeah, they were. I first heard about using these things like insecticide
inserts and stilbesterol way back in the early 70's. There was a major
expose book written called Buyer Beware or Consumer Beware or some such. It
was so gross I didn't eat meat for 6 mos. No kidding.

nb

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it just me, or does chicken today really not taste as good as it did,
> say, 30 years ago?
>
> Donna

It's you.

sf

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:28:30 -0500, George
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, my buddys dad raised chickens as a hobby when he retired. There was
> an amazing difference in taste between them and the typical "enhanced"
> chicken found in the big box stores.

Compare like to like. I don't think that comparing home
farm raised chickens with mass produced chickens is an
objective comparison.

Chickens were mass produced 30... yes even 50 years ago, and
I don't think the taste has changed. It still tastes like
chicken.

sf

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 23:21:43 GMT, "L" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> 30 years ago their was much more variety; meat generally came from regional
> processors who had their own way of doing things.

How young are you? Meat was mass produced 30 years ago and
there wasn't much to say about most regional producers other
than they were regional mass producers.

sf
who remembers when Foster Farms wasn't a national brand

sf

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:43:19 -0500, Tony P.
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Lastly it is because we've bred our animals to be lean. Fat does lend a
> large amount of flavor to many foods.

30 years ago pork was going lean - but 40 years ago, pork
was so full of fat that it was absolutely disgusting to eat.
I love it now, but you couldn't have paid me to eat pork
roast even 35 years ago.

sf

On 2005-01-04, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> who remembers when Foster Farms wasn't a national brand

[raises hand]

I remember when FF didn't even do chicken. They were a local dairy
operation in Modesto, CA. We'd buy at local dairy co-op drive throughs or
have it delivered.

nb