General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Did everyone here......

Started by Loco~Motion · · Last activity · 32 posts · 374 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 October 2007
Last activity
11 October 2007
Original author
Loco~Motion
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
374
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–32 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Roger Zoul said:

    "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I give exercise a hard time here, but it's not because I think it's bad
    or useless (although Taubes talks about studies suggesting that exercise
    makes it harder to lose weight, they're hardly conclusive),

    Under certain conditions, I believe that to be true!


    Personally, cardio exercise makes me ravenous, whereas pilates or weight
    training doesn't. It's really demoralizing when I've put in an hour of
    cardio only to feel like eating everything in sight afterward.

    b

  2. "Brigid Nelson" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I give exercise a hard time here, but it's not because I think it's bad
    or useless (although Taubes talks about studies suggesting that exercise
    makes it harder to lose weight, they're hardly conclusive),

    Under certain conditions, I believe that to be true!


    Personally, cardio exercise makes me ravenous, whereas pilates or weight
    training doesn't. It's really demoralizing when I've put in an hour of
    cardio only to feel like eating everything in sight afterward.

    b

    Cardio is fine for me as long as I keep to to reasonable levels, which is
    almost all the time. With weight training, I'll get hungry at first, but
    after a while even that becomes normal. But what really get to me is long
    rides...they ramp my hunger.

  3. Roger Zoul said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've started a bodyweight exercise program myself, because I want to
    get stronger and I want to tighten up some of the flabby skin I've
    got that's only going to get flabbier as I lose weight.

    Quoted message said:

    I do not see the connection.

    I've always heard here that exercise is the only way (short of plastic
    surgery) to tighten up loose skin. Of course, that's just as anecdotal
    as the theory that exercise causes weight loss, so who knows.

    --
    Aaron -- 285/254/200 -- aaron.baugher.biz

  4. "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've started a bodyweight exercise program myself, because I want to
    get stronger and I want to tighten up some of the flabby skin I've
    got that's only going to get flabbier as I lose weight.

    Quoted message said:

    I do not see the connection.

    I've always heard here that exercise is the only way (short of plastic
    surgery) to tighten up loose skin. Of course, that's just as anecdotal
    as the theory that exercise causes weight loss, so who knows.

    Well, skin has a certain elasticity to it...so weight loss will result in
    some skin shrinking...that's going to depend on the person...genetics, how
    much extra skin there is...how long...exercise, to the extent that it allows
    you to add some muscle to fill loose skin, will help too. But....

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?

    Apparently, it's these "oversimplifications" are the things that work
    against us in getting a handle on things.

  5. Roger Zoul said:

    "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I've started a bodyweight exercise program myself, because I want to
    > get stronger and I want to tighten up some of the flabby skin I've
    > got that's only going to get flabbier as I lose weight.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I do not see the connection.

    Quoted message said:

    I've always heard here that exercise is the only way (short of plastic
    surgery) to tighten up loose skin. Of course, that's just as anecdotal
    as the theory that exercise causes weight loss, so who knows.

    Well, skin has a certain elasticity to it...so weight loss will result in
    some skin shrinking...that's going to depend on the person...genetics, how
    much extra skin there is...how long...exercise, to the extent that it allows
    you to add some muscle to fill loose skin, will help too. But....

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?

    Apparently, it's these "oversimplifications" are the things that work
    against us in getting a handle on things.

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?
    maybe not weight loss, but fat loss for sure.
    now I'm working out 3 times per week and i can already see difference
    in my celluliite zones and belly 🙂
    eva
    www.livonialimo.com

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> writes:

    Quoted message said:

    >> I've started a bodyweight exercise program myself, because I want to
    >> get stronger and I want to tighten up some of the flabby skin I've
    >> got that's only going to get flabbier as I lose weight.

    Quoted message said:

    > I do not see the connection.

    Quoted message said:

    I've always heard here that exercise is the only way (short of plastic
    surgery) to tighten up loose skin. Of course, that's just as anecdotal
    as the theory that exercise causes weight loss, so who knows.

    Well, skin has a certain elasticity to it...so weight loss will result in
    some skin shrinking...that's going to depend on the person...genetics,
    how
    much extra skin there is...how long...exercise, to the extent that it
    allows
    you to add some muscle to fill loose skin, will help too. But....

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?

    Apparently, it's these "oversimplifications" are the things that work
    against us in getting a handle on things.

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?
    maybe not weight loss, but fat loss for sure.
    now I'm working out 3 times per week and i can already see difference
    in my celluliite zones and belly 🙂

    It won't even cause fat loss if you're eating too much.
    Exercise, in and of itself, is not responsible for fat/weight loss. It's
    the combination of diet and exercise that results in a net caloric deficit,
    placing your body in a catabolic state.

    If you're seeing a difference, then you have found the magic that eludes
    many. Good job.

  7. Roger Zoul said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> writes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>> I've started a bodyweight exercise program myself, because I want to
    >>> get stronger and I want to tighten up some of the flabby skin I've
    >>> got that's only going to get flabbier as I lose weight.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> I do not see the connection.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I've always heard here that exercise is the only way (short of plastic
    > surgery) to tighten up loose skin. Of course, that's just as anecdotal
    > as the theory that exercise causes weight loss, so who knows.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well, skin has a certain elasticity to it...so weight loss will result in
    some skin shrinking...that's going to depend on the person...genetics,
    how
    much extra skin there is...how long...exercise, to the extent that it
    allows
    you to add some muscle to fill loose skin, will help too. But....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Apparently, it's these "oversimplifications" are the things that work
    against us in getting a handle on things.

    Quoted message said:

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?
    maybe not weight loss, but fat loss for sure.
    now I'm working out 3 times per week and i can already see difference
    in my celluliite zones and belly 🙂

    It won't even cause fat loss if you're eating too much.
    Exercise, in and of itself, is not responsible for fat/weight loss. It's
    the combination of diet and exercise that results in a net caloric deficit,
    placing your body in a catabolic state.

    I am an exerciser. Reading Taubes is making me question, just a bit,
    at
    least in terms of weight loss. Definitely wouldn't have the muscular
    development I have (such as it is) without the exercise though, but
    that's
    not the same. Course, it might be two routes (complimentary routes)
    towards the same goal. This is mountaintop stuff.

  8. "Hollywood" <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Oct 8, 8:10 am, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > "Aaron Baugher" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    > > "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> writes:

    Quoted message said:

    > >>> I've started a bodyweight exercise program myself, because I want
    > >>> to
    > >>> get stronger and I want to tighten up some of the flabby skin I've
    > >>> got that's only going to get flabbier as I lose weight.

    Quoted message said:

    > >> I do not see the connection.

    Quoted message said:

    > > I've always heard here that exercise is the only way (short of
    > > plastic
    > > surgery) to tighten up loose skin. Of course, that's just as
    > > anecdotal
    > > as the theory that exercise causes weight loss, so who knows.

    Quoted message said:

    > Well, skin has a certain elasticity to it...so weight loss will result
    > in
    > some skin shrinking...that's going to depend on the person...genetics,
    > how
    > much extra skin there is...how long...exercise, to the extent that it
    > allows
    > you to add some muscle to fill loose skin, will help too. But....

    Quoted message said:

    > Who says exercise causes weight loss?

    Quoted message said:

    > Apparently, it's these "oversimplifications" are the things that work
    > against us in getting a handle on things.

    Quoted message said:

    Who says exercise causes weight loss?
    maybe not weight loss, but fat loss for sure.
    now I'm working out 3 times per week and i can already see difference
    in my celluliite zones and belly 🙂

    It won't even cause fat loss if you're eating too much.
    Exercise, in and of itself, is not responsible for fat/weight loss. It's
    the combination of diet and exercise that results in a net caloric
    deficit,
    placing your body in a catabolic state.

    I am an exerciser. Reading Taubes is making me question, just a bit,
    at
    least in terms of weight loss. Definitely wouldn't have the muscular
    development I have (such as it is) without the exercise though, but
    that's
    not the same. Course, it might be two routes (complimentary routes)
    towards the same goal. This is mountaintop stuff.

    I'm reading him too, albeit at a snell's pace (couple of pages a day).
    Honestly, I don't care what he says to the opposite on that topic, he'll not
    convince me it's untrue, at least for my body, anyway. I won't argue that
    there may exist some people who are somehow metabolic outliers, but I'm not
    one of them.

  9. Roger Zoul said:

    I'm reading him too, albeit at a snell's pace (couple of pages a day).
    Honestly, I don't care what he says to the opposite on that topic, he'll not
    convince me it's untrue, at least for my body, anyway. I won't argue that
    there may exist some people who are somehow metabolic outliers, but I'm not
    one of them.

    So, I've had periods of exercise where the scale moved great. I've had
    periods
    where it didn't move (and the attendant tape measure as well). I've
    had periods
    of no exercise where it moved great. And I've had periods of no
    exercise where
    it moved not much.

    On the flip side, Taubes kind of talks around adrenaline moving fat
    out of storage
    and into energy play. So, maybe there's something to exercise vs.
    adiposity.

    What I'm saying is, I like what I get from exercise, even if it
    doesn't move me more
    towards the scale goal. If it helps, that's bonus. But I cannot sit
    and look and my
    history of dieting and exercising, go over my spreadsheets with weight
    data,
    measurement data and exercise data, and tell you that there's any real
    correlation,
    much less causation. It's a weak study (one person, no study of other
    factors), but
    based on Taubes's recounting of the low fat + exercise research, it
    might be up to
    standard.

  10. Hollywood said:

    What I'm saying is, I like what I get from exercise, even if it
    doesn't move me more towards the scale goal. If it helps, that's
    bonus.

    Exactly. Even if exercise slightly slows down weight loss, that's not
    enough to counter all the good things it does for one's health.
    Refusing to exercise on that basis would only make sense if one were
    overweight but in perfect health in every other way, which isn't likely.
    I don't think there's any question that, on balance, exercise does the
    body good. I do have my doubts about certain kinds, like jogging,
    though.

    Quoted message said:

    But I cannot sit and look and my history of dieting and exercising, go
    over my spreadsheets with weight data, measurement data and exercise
    data, and tell you that there's any real correlation, much less
    causation. It's a weak study (one person, no study of other factors),
    but based on Taubes's recounting of the low fat + exercise research,
    it might be up to standard.

    Heh. I'm starting to think that asking my dog questions and
    having her answer by peeing on a big Bingo card of answers might be up
    to the standard -- as long as she gets the "right" answers.

    --
    Aaron -- 285/254/200 -- aaron.baugher.biz

  11. Hollywood said:


    But I cannot sit and look and my history of dieting and exercising,
    go over my spreadsheets with weight data, measurement data and
    exercise data, and tell you that there's any real correlation,
    much less causation ...

    Going over my history I find times of loss with and without exercise.
    I find times of regain without exercise. I do NOT find times of
    regain
    with exercise.

    So to me exercise is about keeping it off. If it helps or hurt during
    the time of loss I can't say, but the time duration of loss is a LOT
    shorter than the time durection of maintenance.

  12. Doug Freyburger said:
    Hollywood said:

    But I cannot sit and look and my history of dieting and exercising,
    go over my spreadsheets with weight data, measurement data and
    exercise data, and tell you that there's any real correlation,
    much less causation ...

    Going over my history I find times of loss with and without exercise.
    I find times of regain without exercise. I do NOT find times of
    regain
    with exercise.

    I had a few weeks where I exercised hard core and regained. I was
    eating like [censored] on travel, but my intervals and full body lifting
    wasn't
    protective. Bad science, I know.

    I have, and suspect you also have, times of stall with exercise.

    Quoted message said:

    So to me exercise is about keeping it off. If it helps or hurt during
    the time of loss I can't say, but the time duration of loss is a LOT
    shorter than the time durection of maintenance.

    I am not saying "don't exercise." No no no. And I don't think Taubes
    is saying that either. It's just that it doesn't really move the
    scale,
    at least not as tested in labs (caveats up the whizzy with that one).
    It might be they aren't testing the right stuff. It might be that the
    studies
    are flawed. But, it might be that it really is all about homeostasis,
    carbs, insulin responsiveness in muscles vs. fat cells, and the war
    between insulin and every other hormone about fat in/out of fat cells.

    Last thing: Taubes later talks about adrenaline being a pretty good
    mover of fat out of fat cells. If you could exercise, go low carbs,
    get
    your adrenaline up while your insulin is down, etc, maybe the exercise
    might move the tape measure after. But is that the hormones or
    the exercise?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.