Did Hincapie Wait To Long, Again???

f1943r

Dec 27, 2006
I just read that at the Tour of Flanders George Hincapie regrets missing Boonen and Cancellara attack on the Molenberg 40 kilometres before the finish. George is a great guy and proven cyclist but I think he lacks that killer instinct.

He has been inconsistent over the years, crashes too much and now he is almost 37.
Probably time to take a behind the scenes job in cycling.

f1943r said:
I just read that at the Tour of Flanders George Hincapie regrets missing Boonen and Cancellara attack on the Molenberg 40 kilometres before the finish.

Yeah, I can understand that - if he'd been closer he'd have had a better vantage point to watch it from. Oh well, there's always video.

Maxiton said:
Yeah, I can understand that - if he'd been closer he'd have had a better vantage point to watch it from. Oh well, there's always video.

Hincapie goes alright, he'll get a decent win before the season is out.

steve said:
Hincapie goes alright, he'll get a decent win before the season is out.

can't see him getting a result in one of his target races. he's always been a better spear bearer than in the lead role. i have to admit that evans will be missing hincapie's support in the giro.

As a team leader, he usually comes up a dollar short and a day late. As a team member, he's the go-to guy to keep the ball in play. Being cut from a similar cloth, I respect that. But he should cut the coulda-shoulda-woulda talk, at leas in public. It doesn't put him in a good light.

slovakguy said:
can't see him getting a result in one of his target races. he's always been a better spear bearer than in the lead role. i have to admit that evans will be missing hincapie's support in the giro.
He was one of the guys who was supposed to fill the "Lance Void" here in the US following Armstrong's initial retirement...and why wouldn't he, he's this big, good-looking, tough-as-nails, articulate guy.

Who can't win a big race to save his life.

Chavez said:
He was one of the guys who was supposed to fill the "Lance Void" here in the US following Armstrong's initial retirement...and why wouldn't he, he's this big, good-looking, tough-as-nails, articulate guy.

Who can't win a big race to save his life.

I don't know.
George's form really improved from 2001 onwards.
I still think he has a classic win in him.

I think he made a mistake by staying in USPS/Disco serfdom role during his real peak years.
Fine rider.

limerickman said:
I don't know.
George's form really improved from 2001 onwards.
I still think he has a classic win in him.

I think he made a mistake by staying in USPS/Disco serfdom role during his real peak years.
Fine rider.

wish i could agree with you here. everything i've read about him suggests he's a good fellow on and off the circuit. just seems to lack that ability to finish the deal. i just think he's much more comfortable as a super domestique. it would be a fitting ending to his career to cap it with a p-r win, but with boonen, spartacus, et. al. he maybe cracks the top ten.

slovakguy said:
i just think he's much more comfortable as a super domestique. it would be a fitting ending to his career to cap it with a p-r win, but with boonen, spartacus, et. al. he maybe cracks the top ten.

Yeah.

Boonen and Cancellara have been honing their form for a few years, and guys like Pozzato and Flecha have been rising to that rank. A couple of years ago it could have happened for George, but now there are just too many strong men who are still improving.