Diet fads, research, industry profits

Chopper

Guest
There seems to be yet another revision in what's supposed to be good nutrition. During the '80s and
'90s the accepted line was that fat is bad, non-sugar carbohydrates are good. That didn't make meat
producers happy.

Now it seems to be shifting to fat is ok, carbohydrates are bad.

The latter view has some prominent research behind it, and apparently it's having a negative effect
on the corporate profits of some carbo food producers.

How much of this nutrition stuff is real, and how much is brought on by paid-for agenda "research"?

Any opinions?

Thanks

"Chopper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> There seems to be yet another revision in what's supposed to be good nutrition. During the '80s
> and '90s the accepted line was that fat is bad, non-sugar carbohydrates are good. That didn't make
> meat producers happy.
>
> Now it seems to be shifting to fat is ok, carbohydrates are bad.
>
> The latter view has some prominent research behind it, and apparently it's having a negative
> effect on the corporate profits of some carbo food producers.
>
> How much of this nutrition stuff is real, and how much is brought on by paid-for agenda
> "research"?
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks

In the 70's, during the severe recession, the US govt cut back its support of scientific research.
Industry stepped in. Today 70% of all research in the US is funded by industry.

These are corporate sponsors listed on the American Diabetes Association website. I wonder how this
might impact the research programs that they fund and the positions they take regarding the cause of
diabetes and other nutritional matters?

The highest level of recognition in the Corporate Recognition Program is called the Banting Circle
Elite. The designation is named for Frederick Banting, the physician who co-discovered insulin. The
annual total support for companies reaching this elite level is $750,000. The second level, Banting
Circle, the third level, Platinum and the fourth level Diamond, each support the Associati $100,000,
annually. Other sponsor levels include Gold ($50,000), Silver ($25,000) and Bronze ($15,000).

The Banting Circle Elite Abbott Laboratories Aventis Pharmaceuticals BD Consumer Healthcare
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company Eli Lilly and Company GlaxoSmithKline Lifescan, Inc., a Johnson &
Johnson company Medtronic MiniMed Merck & Co., Inc. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation Novo
Nordisk Pharmaceuticals Pfizer Inc Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America, Inc.

Banting Circle Abbott Laboratories, Inc., MediSense Products Bayer Corporation Kraft Foods Roche
Diagnostics Corporation

Platinum Abbott Laboratories, Ross Product Division (Glucerna) AstraZeneca Dermik Laboratories, Inc.
J.M. Smucker Company Merisant U.S., Inc. (Equal Sweetener) Olivio Premium Products Tenet Healthcare
Foundation TheraSense, Inc. Wyeth Pharmaceuticals

Diamond Archway Cookies, LLC Coolbrands International, Inc. (Eskimo Pie)
CVS/pharmacy Ebony Magazine Equidyne Systems, Inc. General Mills, Inc. (Fiber One) Good Neighbor
Pharmacy Health Care Products Health Magazine Hermundslie Foundation KOS Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
MBNA Murray Sugar Free Cookies Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. Orhto-McNeil Pharmaceutical, Inc.
People Weekly Magazine Rite Aid Pharmacy Roche Pharmaceuticals Roundy's Inc. Schering Plough
Healthcare Products, Inc. Specialty Brands of America (Cary's Sugar Free Cookies) The Procter &
Gamble Company Voortman Cookies Limited Yahoo!

Corporate sponsors of the American Heart Association.

********************************************************PARTNERS Partners recognizes corporations
and foundations for lifetime giving of $1,000,000 and above Archer Daniels Midland Company –
Illinois AstraZeneca LP – Pennsylvania Aventis Pharmaceuticals – Pennsylvania Averitt
Express Associate Charities – Tennessee Bayer Corporation – New Jersey Bristol-Myers
Squibb Company – New Jersey The Henrietta B. and Frederick H. Bugher Foundation – New
York Citi – Delaware GlaxoSmithKline – Pennsylvania Guidant Corporation – Indiana
Guidant Foundation – Indiana Harriet and Robert Heilbrunn – New York The J. Willard and
Alice S. Marriott Foundation – District of Columbia Carlos and Marguerite Mason Trust –
Georgia Medicine Shoppe International, Inc. – Missouri Mercedes-Benz, USA, LLC – New
Jersey Merck & Co., Inc. – Pennsylvania Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. – New Jersey
Omron Healthcare, Inc. – Illinois Pfizer, Inc. – New York Procter & Gamble Company
– Ohio Random House, Inc. – New York Sanofi-Synthelabo – New York Schering-Plough
Corporation – New Jersey Subway – Connecticut Takeda Pharmaceuticals – Illinois
United Way of Southeastern PA – Pennsylvania Walgreen Co. – Illinois The Harry and
Jeanette Weinberg Foundation – Hawaii Wyeth-Ayerst Pharmaceuticals – Pennsylvania

Corporate sponsors of the American Dietetic Association Foundation.

*********************************

December 2002

SPECIAL THANKS TO ADA FOUNDATION FNCE EVENT SPONSORS You can read all about the Foundation events
and fundraising activities at this year’s conference in Philadelphia in the attached cover
letter. The ADA Foundation would like to extend a special thank you to those sponsors who made the
events possible.

Healthy Weight for Kid’s Symposia HealtheTech Mead Johnson Nutritionals National Dairy Council
The Peanut Institute

Art of Giving Gala ConAgra Foods Food Marketing Institute Hormel HealthLabs Kraft Foods McNeill
Nutritionals National Cattleman’s Beef Association Ross Products Division, Abbott Laboratories
Congratulations to ADA Foundation Corporate Award Recipient, Mead Johnson Nutritionals

The Philadelphia Challenge 5K Run and Fitness Walk Baxter -- PULSE Hormel Health Labs

"Chopper" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> There seems to be yet another revision in what's supposed to be good nutrition. During the '80s
> and '90s the accepted line was that fat is bad, non-sugar carbohydrates are good. That didn't make
> meat producers happy.
>
> Now it seems to be shifting to fat is ok, carbohydrates are bad.
>
> The latter view has some prominent research behind it, and apparently it's having a negative
> effect on the corporate profits of some carbo food producers.
>
> How much of this nutrition stuff is real, and how much is brought on by paid-for agenda
> "research"?
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks

Both are ridicolous extremism without any kind of proofs Almost anything promoted by carbo haters
is false; and there's a good analysis showing how many of the theories of each diet endep up to be
true or false Carbohydrates are not bad Fats are not bas Is so simple Unrefined carbohydrates are
healthy foods that shouldn't be lacking in an healthy diet These are expecially fruits, berries and
vegatables Essential fatty acids are necessary but needed in a small amount Ketosis can't last to
long, even Atkins followers aknowledge that long term ketosis is dangerous, so from this point of
view you can't live just relying on ketones and some carbohydrates is therefore necessary for long
term health You can't live without essential fatty acids, yet even lettuce is 10% fat and not
getting enough essential fatty acids is impossible, while the problems is getting to much linoleic
acids and too few alpha-linolenic acid Linoleic acid need is 4g-6g, alpha-linolenic acids need is
2g Any diet that contain 6% calories as fat provide enough essential fatty acids More essential
fatty acids can cause serious cellular damage, while more monounsaturated fat is totally useless
and devoid of more important nutrients So, saturated fats are useless and bad as well as trans fats
and refined carbohydrates are useless and bad But fat per se is just not bad as well as
carbohydrates per se are anything but bad It is mostly a matter of quality, but I also feel that
quantity is important too In a detailed reviews on each diet (low fat, high fat, moderate fats)
there the nutrients analysis of all the diet and higher fat diet end up to be always lacking in
vitamins and minerals If you start from a SAD diet, then substituting refined carbohydrates with
monounsaturated fats is an improvement But eventually substituting monounsaturated fats with
fruits, legumes and vegetables is a further improvement That's because our fat need (6-8 grams) is
much lower than vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals needs So, as long as your fat intake is
adequate and of good quality and your unrefined carbohydrates (legumes, vegetable, fruits,
berries...) is high you get enough fat and all the needed vitamins, minerals and especially
phytochemicals and fibers If you raise you fat intake you don't add nothing needed by your body in
your diet (as fat need is very little) but inturn you lower the consumption of fruits, legumes,
vegetables, berries and so on lowering also vitamins, minerals, and phytochemical intake The RDA
bood on lipid agree that as long as a varied diet contain 6% of all calories as fat, fat soluble
absorption and gall bladder function is not compromised and your essential fatty acids intake is
adequate We can double this amount as a safety margin From this point (12-13% as fat) it's just our
own choice if we want to increase fat intake Yet, we should remember that the more we raise fat
intake, the more we get nutrients that we don't need missing nutrients and phytochemicals that we
do need Both diet are effective for weight loss

So, don't buy the useless take home message that fats are bads or carbohydrates are bad All the
message that are so extreme are also false and misleading Anyway some sort of fats and carbohydrates
are actually bad: saturated, trans and refined

Niky

> Yet, we should remember that the more we raise fat intake, the more we get nutrients that we don't
> need missing nutrients and phytochemicals that we do need.

I agree.

> Anyway some sort of fats and carbohydrates are actually bad: saturated, trans and refined.

What is your opinion of coconut oil?