Ok, thanks. That's kind of the advice I wanted - I thought this idea of
getting the Rockhopper + some spare wheels (and using the lockout) might
work - but it's reassuring to have it confirmed by someone more
knowledgeable than I am.
The Giant Trance 3 seems well over a grand, which I think is pushing it for
me.
Sorry for the faffing - we could have wrapped this up in fewer posts if I'd
thought more carefully about what information to include.
"Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:in message <[email hidden]>, Edward Hibbert
(') said:Quoted message said:But, at the same time, don't assume that the same bike is going to be
satisfactory on the Glentress Red Route and on the streets of
Edinburgh, because it's not. You wouldn't run a marathon in mountain
boots. You would probably be better off working out what your budget
is, taking 280 off it for an EBC Courier Race
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=22639
to use on the road, and spending the rest on as good a mountain bike
as you can get - possibly (good) second hand or last years' model.This is sound advice. It's a little complicated for me because there's
a bike-to-work scheme which means my firm would kind of help pay for a
new
bike if I use it to commute to work, something I can't do if I get two.
You weren't to know that, of course.My commute also takes me along a lot of cobbles, and I find my wrists
are
suffering despite gel mitts. I imagine some of that is down to
posture, but I'm still tempted to get a model with front suspension to
see if that helps.OK, let's reverse my advice: /do/ get the Rockhopper (but try a Giant
Trance 3, which is about the cheapest decent full suspension bike,
first).Reasons:
If your firm is paying half the price, then it's worth using the money to
get an expensive bike. A good mountain bike is a lot more expensive than
an equivalent quality road bike. So it would not make sense to get half
the price towards a road bike or hybrid and then have to pay the full
price of the mountain bike.And in the Edinburgh area there are plenty of places where you can put a
good mountain bike to excellent use.It does mean that you'll need to use the bike you spend your employer's
money on to cycle to work, and a good mountain bike will be compromised
on the road. But the Rockhopper, at least, comes with good forks with
good lockout, and you can keep a spare pair of cheap wheels with narrow
slick tyres on for urban use, so you can reduce that compromise to the
minimum.The only thing to watch is that many mountain bikes with the suspension
locked have it locked at the top of its travel, and given that mountain
bike bottom brackets are usually fairly high anyway that tends to mean
it can be quite hard to get a foot down!--
[email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/[ This .sig intentionally left blank ]