General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Dinner last night

Started by Dog3 · · Last activity · 46 posts · 1,500 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 July 2005
Last activity
23 July 2005
Original author
Dog3
Posts
46
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,500
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–46 of 46
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    TammyM said:

    "Cindy Fuller" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It was late for me, I admit. The bigger problem is how early the sun
    rises here during the summer. My small gray alarm clock (Jasper, our
    ADHD cat) is triggered by light. Good thing we moved

    ADHD?

    Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

    Quoted message said:


    My Sadie is also triggered by light. First light of day, she jumps on my
    head and meows loudly in my ear. She's 17 years old, she can't last much
    longer ;-)

    Jasper's esteemed predecessor (Roscoe, who lived to be 17) used to do
    the same thing. However, Jasper's meow is about two octaves higher than
    Roscoe's was. It's hard to take seriously a cat who sounds like he just
    got displaced from his mamma's teat.

    To get back to food: The Himalayan (wild) blackberries are finally
    ripe. Since SO has issues with their tiny little seeds, they're MINE.
    ALL MINE!

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  2. One time on Usenet, Cindy Fuller <[email hidden]> said:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    The raspberry variation was devised to use up some berries in the
    freezer. I posted it in honor of Barb Schaller's birthday last year.

    I saw that version when I Googled "one true cobbler", but I'm glad
    you posted the original -- both look wonderful...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    hubert liverman said:

    "Julian Vrieslander" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Christine Dabney said:

    And then there are southern style cobblers, which aren't like the
    others..but made with something like pie dough....

    Feh. Infidels. The One True Cobbler is the only path to cobbler heaven.

    --
    Julian Vrieslander

    When you get to Heaven Grandma desires a few words with you. :-)

    Bring it on, granny.

    Actually, I lived most of my life in the south (Miami, Atlanta, Dallas,
    Greensboro). I have tried many a southern-style cobbler. Many are just
    simplified relatives of fruit pies, with or without bottom crust.
    Common fare in BBQ joints and restaurants because it can be made in a
    big pan, requiring less labor than a batch of individual pies.

    The One True Cobbler is just as easy to make, but (for me) is more
    appealing. The batter takes on a variety of interesting textures, with
    parts of it rising to the top and getting crispy, and other parts
    remaining chewy and moist, with the fruit flavors blending into it.

    You can argue all you want about whether this is a "real" cobbler, but
    unless you try the recipe, your cobbler soul will not be saved.

    BTW, the "One True Cobbler" name was invented by me. In the original
    magazine recipe, it was called something else - I can't remember what.

    --
    Julian Vrieslander


  4. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    "Julian Vrieslander" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message


    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Christine Dabney <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > And then there are southern style cobblers, which aren't like the
    > others..but made with something like pie dough....

    Feh. Infidels. The One True Cobbler is the only path to cobbler


    heaven.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    --
    Julian Vrieslander

    When you get to Heaven Grandma desires a few words with you. :-)

    Bring it on, granny.

    Actually, I lived most of my life in the south (Miami, Atlanta, Dallas,
    Greensboro). I have tried many a southern-style cobbler. Many are just
    simplified relatives of fruit pies, with or without bottom crust.
    Common fare in BBQ joints and restaurants because it can be made in a
    big pan, requiring less labor than a batch of individual pies.

    The One True Cobbler is just as easy to make, but (for me) is more
    appealing. The batter takes on a variety of interesting textures, with
    parts of it rising to the top and getting crispy, and other parts
    remaining chewy and moist, with the fruit flavors blending into it.

    You can argue all you want about whether this is a "real" cobbler, but
    unless you try the recipe, your cobbler soul will not be saved.

    BTW, the "One True Cobbler" name was invented by me. In the original
    magazine recipe, it was called something else - I can't remember what.

    In reference to the interesting batter textures etc.,you hit the shoe tack
    right on the head. We are talking about cobblers aren't we?

    I think Grandma will be pleased to meet you someday,and gospel with you the
    rapturous revelations of cobbler construction. Gospel in this case means
    discuss,not Preach. I hope I will be a little late, but will catch up as
    soon as I can!

    I was born in Brooklyn,and raised in Auburn, Alabama. As a musician I have
    performed in all 48 contiguous states,the Caribbean Islands,a couple of
    European tours as well as tenures In NYC,Los Angeles,Miami,and Greenville
    S.C.

    It is good when there is a lively discussion concerning recipes,their
    regional variations,techniques,and procedures. One can only learn from such
    discourse.

    Thank you for your response to my post. I ment no offense when I sent it.

    Hubert

  5. In article
    <[email hidden]>
    ,
    Julian Vrieslander <[email hidden]> wrote:

    snippage

    Quoted message said:


    BTW, the "One True Cobbler" name was invented by me. In the original
    magazine recipe, it was called something else - I can't remember what.

    Easy Peach Cobbler. And it is. Julian, who leaves most of the baking in
    the household to me, has been known to make this recipe--once or twice.
    Our first encounter with THE ONE TRUE COBBLER was at a party in
    Greensboro 8 years ago, just after it was published in Southern Living.
    The host had doubled the recipe, but put it in a too-small pan. As a
    result, it boiled over onto the oven floor and started a small
    conflagration. In spite of this, the remaining cobbler was devoured and
    praised by all. The rest is history.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    hubert liverman said:

    Thank you for your response to my post. I ment no offense when I sent it.

    And I intended no offense when I responded. The "food fights" in this
    newsgroup are mostly tame, playful bantering. But watch out when BBQ
    fanatics get into challenging each other. Beer and testosterone are an
    explosive mixture...

    --
    Julian Vrieslander

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.