General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Dinner tonight...what's on your table?

Started by Nexis · · Last activity · 29 posts · 468 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 June 2006
Last activity
14 June 2006
Original author
Nexis
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
468
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself with a
    hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the funk I've been in
    lately. So. I went to the supermarket because silly me, I forgot they are remodeling
    and so they didn't have any decent looking roasts. And none with any bones. So I went
    to my tried and true. Iowa Meat Farms. Guess what? Yes, you guessed it. No bone-in
    chuck. Sigh. Not one to be deterred, I was a woman on a mission. Drove over to
    Siesel's, which is owned by the same folks as IMF. Glory Be! I got me a three pound 7
    Bone roast. Yay!

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and watermelon.
    What are you having?

    kimberly

  2. Nexis said:

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and watermelon.
    What are you having?

    We are passing around a fever/tummy virus picked up undoubtedly at a
    birthday party last Saturday...so it's boring white rice cooked in
    chicken/veggie broth, bananas and gingerale of us (water for poor DS
    who has been hit hardest). I must say moving to a new area sucks - we
    have caught everything going around for the last 3 years...you'd think
    we'd almost be immune by now...

    I have some yummy Mexican chicken cooked up and ready to make
    quesadillas, along with a nice mix of seasoned red and pinto beans.
    May have to stick it all in the freezer...

    -L.

  3. In article <Znnjg.178885$bm6.50101@fed1read04>,

    Nexis said:

    It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself with a
    hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the funk I've
    been in
    lately. So. I went to the supermarket because silly me, I forgot they are
    remodeling
    and so they didn't have any decent looking roasts. And none with any bones.
    So I went
    to my tried and true. Iowa Meat Farms. Guess what? Yes, you guessed it. No
    bone-in
    chuck. Sigh. Not one to be deterred, I was a woman on a mission. Drove over
    to
    Siesel's, which is owned by the same folks as IMF. Glory Be! I got me a three
    pound 7
    Bone roast. Yay!

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?

    kimberly

    Corn cakes from the Fields of Greens cookbook (son requested it, and
    they are really good)
    Steamed artichokes
    Zucchini bread that is baking as I type
    Some veggie, I still need to choose, or maybe sliced avocado

    marcella

  4. Marcella Peek said:

    Corn cakes from the Fields of Greens cookbook (son requested it, and
    they are really good)
    Steamed artichokes
    Zucchini bread that is baking as I type
    Some veggie, I still need to choose, or maybe sliced avocado

    marcella

    we're having articvhokes too! with aioli and melted butter.

    Also, bruschetta, using TJs asiago-black papper bread as a base, topped
    with a tomato mixture (fresh roma, sun dried, and roasted marinated)
    plus basil garlic and rosemary, then topped with shaved grana padana
    cheese.

    And, a salad of mixed greens (romaine, spinach, mache) with endive,
    celery, apple, grapes, and walnuts, with a buttermilk-yogurt-lemon-dill
    dressing.

    Dessert: an experimental dessert calzone, made from leftover pizza
    dough filled with ricotta, cinnamon-sugar, and apricot jam.

  5. "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message:

    Glory Be! I got me a three pound 7

    Quoted message said:

    Bone roast. Yay!


    How did you do the roast?

    Quoted message said:

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and


    watermelon.

    Quoted message said:

    What are you having?


    See "Best braised beef!" I think I was in the same mood you were. I omitted
    potatoes
    because I wanted bread ...

    Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

  6. Kimberly said:

    It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself
    with a hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the
    funk I've been in lately.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?

    Sorry you've been down; I hope the comfort food did its job!

    I'm going to have dinner about midnight: I'm going to start off with a salad
    containing chopped mizuna, cold buckwheat noodles (soba), and scallions,
    dressed with soy, mirin, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Then I'll
    have beef saté with peanut sauce, following the recipe from America's Test
    Kitchen (but using skirt steak instead of flank steak). Dessert will be a
    wedge of "ambrosia" melon with powdered ginger and a tiny glass of ice-cold
    Midori.

    Bob

  7. You guys are all killin' me! I am having company beginning this
    Wednesday, and I've been desperately trying to lose some weight. . .So,
    I'm starving myself tonight!

    However, on Wednesday, I'm serving up Paella, Salad, Kalamata Olive
    bread, and plenty of red wines. There will be Tira Missou for desert.

    Between now and then, I guess I'll be living on my dreams, and a few
    radishes and celery sticks;-(

    Myrl Jeffcoat
    http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

  8. Nexis said:
    Quoted message said:


    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and watermelon.
    What are you having?


    I've been in a funk too...hope you feel better soon. Tonight we're
    eating leftovers from last night's great dinner. We had grilled baby
    back ribs and chicken thighs, grilled corn on the cob, grilled
    potato/vidalia onion packets, and pepper/tomato/cuke salad. On the
    plate it looked like the cover of a Bon Appetite issue. Our best
    buddies next door helped out so it wasn't such a big deal for us. We
    ate out on the deck and it felt like SUMMER.....finally. Amd with all
    of those grill packets, not too much to clean up!
    Sandy

  9. "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Znnjg.178885$bm6.50101@fed1read04...

    Quoted message said:

    It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself
    with a hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the
    funk I've been in lately. So. I went to the supermarket because silly me,
    I forgot they are remodeling and so they didn't have any decent looking
    roasts. And none with any bones. So I went to my tried and true. Iowa Meat
    Farms. Guess what? Yes, you guessed it. No bone-in chuck. Sigh. Not one to
    be deterred, I was a woman on a mission. Drove over to Siesel's, which is
    owned by the same folks as IMF. Glory Be! I got me a three pound 7 Bone
    roast. Yay!

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?

    kimberly

    We had Roast Beef (Rump roast)
    Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
    Fresh Steamed Green Beans
    Cucumber/Tomato/Onion in sour cream salad
    Debbie

  10. Deb/Al said:


    "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Znnjg.178885$bm6.50101@fed1read04...

    Quoted message said:

    It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself
    with a hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the
    funk I've been in lately. So. I went to the supermarket because silly me,
    I forgot they are remodeling and so they didn't have any decent looking
    roasts. And none with any bones. So I went to my tried and true. Iowa Meat
    Farms. Guess what? Yes, you guessed it. No bone-in chuck. Sigh. Not one to
    be deterred, I was a woman on a mission. Drove over to Siesel's, which is
    owned by the same folks as IMF. Glory Be! I got me a three pound 7 Bone
    roast. Yay!

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?

    Leftovers from yesterday's party, burgers (veggie burgers for david), curried
    potato salad, fruit on pound cake with whipped cream.

    A friend of mine got me the Alien Quadrilogy for my birthday, bundled up
    watching that and crocheting little flowers.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  11. "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Znnjg.178885$bm6.50101@fed1read04...

    Quoted message said:

    It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself
    with a hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the
    funk I've been in lately. So. I went to the supermarket because silly me,
    I forgot they are remodeling and so they didn't have any decent looking
    roasts. And none with any bones. So I went to my tried and true. Iowa Meat
    Farms. Guess what? Yes, you guessed it. No bone-in chuck. Sigh. Not one to
    be deterred, I was a woman on a mission. Drove over to Siesel's, which is
    owned by the same folks as IMF. Glory Be! I got me a three pound 7 Bone
    roast. Yay!

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?

    Dinner for us tonight was Barilla Plus penne tossed with warmed olive oil,
    garlic, tomatoes, and basil; spinach salad; and garlic bread. Godiva
    chocolates and assorted Jelly Bellies for dessert.

    Mary

  12. Nexis said:

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and watermelon.
    What are you having?

    That would be yesterday evening for me. Warm here too. Beef and
    bresaola carpaccio, with thin slices of Fontina cheese on it, seasoned
    with lemon juice and olive oil. As a side dish, eggplants slow-cooked
    in the oven with a topping of feta and tomatoes, served cold.

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  13. Deb/Al said:

    "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:Znnjg.178885$bm6.50101@fed1read04...

    Quoted message said:

    It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself
    with a hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the
    funk I've been in lately. So. I went to the supermarket because silly me,
    I forgot they are remodeling and so they didn't have any decent looking
    roasts. And none with any bones. So I went to my tried and true. Iowa Meat
    Farms. Guess what? Yes, you guessed it. No bone-in chuck. Sigh. Not one to
    be deterred, I was a woman on a mission. Drove over to Siesel's, which is
    owned by the same folks as IMF. Glory Be! I got me a three pound 7 Bone
    roast. Yay!

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?

    kimberly

    We had Roast Beef (Rump roast)
    Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
    Fresh Steamed Green Beans
    Cucumber/Tomato/Onion in sour cream salad
    Debbie


    We're having roast butterflied marinated chicken (I buy them vacuum
    packed from the butcher, the marinade involves lemon and herbs and I
    don't know what) with mashed kumara and zucchini stewed with onion in
    olive oil. Broccoli soup to start.

    Time I went and put the oven on, I think.

    Christine

  14. "cybercat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Nexis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message:

    Glory Be! I got me a three pound 7

    Quoted message said:

    Bone roast. Yay!


    How did you do the roast?

    Browned it in a bit of butter and olive oil, added thinly sliced onions, 2 carrots,
    and some beef stock (mixed with water because I only had a cup) along with a packet
    of Lipton beefy-onion soup mix. Turned the heat down on low and let it braise for
    about 4 hours.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and


    watermelon.

    Quoted message said:

    What are you having?


    See "Best braised beef!" I think I was in the same mood you were. I omitted
    potatoes
    because I wanted bread ...

    I *had* to have the potatoes 🙂 They're a rare treat these days, so it was part of
    the whole comfort theme.

    kimberly

  15. "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kimberly said:

    It's warm today, warmer than it's been lately, but still I find myself
    with a hankerin' for some comfort food to help maybe lift me out of the
    funk I've been in lately.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?

    Sorry you've been down; I hope the comfort food did its job!

    Thanks! It helped for a bit until the proverbial [censored] hit the fan around midnight.
    It's been a chaotic time lately.

    Quoted message said:


    I'm going to have dinner about midnight: I'm going to start off with a salad
    containing chopped mizuna, cold buckwheat noodles (soba), and scallions,
    dressed with soy, mirin, rice wine vinegar, ginger, and garlic. Then I'll
    have beef saté with peanut sauce, following the recipe from America's Test Kitchen
    (but using skirt steak instead of flank steak). Dessert will be a wedge of
    "ambrosia" melon with powdered ginger and a tiny glass of ice-cold Midori.

    Bob

    Working nights? I was just wondering why you're eating so late 🙂
    Sounds yummy though, except for the peanut sauce, which I can't stomach.
    Have you tried the Galia melons? My mom loves them, but says the texture is not
    unlike a cantaloupe, which I don't care for. I prefer the texture of a good
    watermelon. Still, I do like Honey Dew, so I'm wondering ... 😉

    kimberly

    Quoted message said:


  16. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Nexis said:
    Quoted message said:


    So tonight, I'm having roast beef and smashed yukons and green beans and
    watermelon.
    What are you having?


    I've been in a funk too...hope you feel better soon. Tonight we're
    eating leftovers from last night's great dinner. We had grilled baby
    back ribs and chicken thighs, grilled corn on the cob, grilled
    potato/vidalia onion packets, and pepper/tomato/cuke salad. On the
    plate it looked like the cover of a Bon Appetite issue. Our best
    buddies next door helped out so it wasn't such a big deal for us. We
    ate out on the deck and it felt like SUMMER.....finally. Amd with all
    of those grill packets, not too much to clean up!
    Sandy

    Thanks, I hope you do too!
    Your dinner sounds scrumptious too! I love grilling. It's so tasty, and it seems like
    it improves the flavor of almost anything. I especially love grilled corn. I can
    remember the first time I tried it...at my aunt's farm in Wisconsin. Too hot to boil
    it, she'd said. Thought I'd died and went to heaven. Of course, that was yellow corn,
    which is close to impossible to find out here in California! lol

    I laughed when I saw the lucyspoileddog email. My dog is named Lucy, and if she ain't
    spoiled, I don't know what is! Here's a pic of her with her new summer hairdo:
    http://i5.tinypic.com/14abz38.jpg

    kimberly

  17. CHEESEBURGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    made by husband on the grill!

  18. Kimberly said:

    Working nights? I was just wondering why you're eating so late 🙂

    I work from 6 PM to 6 AM. I eat breakfast around 4 PM and lunch whenever
    work
    lets me (usually somewhere between 10 PM and 1 AM). Lunch is usually my big
    meal of the day, since I go to bed shortly after I get home. Supper depends
    on
    whether I bring a second meal to work or wait until I get home; it happens
    anywhere from 4 AM to 8 AM.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you tried the Galia melons? My mom loves them, but says the texture
    is not unlike a cantaloupe, which I don't care for. I prefer the texture
    of a good watermelon. Still, I do like Honey Dew, so I'm wondering ... 😉

    The only melon I don't like is kiwano (a.k.a. horned melon).

    Bob

  19. Nexis said:


    I laughed when I saw the lucyspoileddog email. My dog is named Lucy, and if she ain't
    spoiled, I don't know what is! Here's a pic of her with her new summer hairdo:
    http://i5.tinypic.com/14abz38.jpg

    kimberly

    Oh, she's GORGEOUS! Yes, my Lucy is spoiled, but she earns it. She's
    a Border Collie/Lab mix, so she's got the Border Collie brains, and the
    sweet Lab temperament. My husband considers her to be so spoiled
    because I cook her food (she has a better diet than most people on this
    planet) and usually before he gets any dinner. I'll post a pic of her
    if I can ever figure out how to do it from google.

    Sandy

  20. Nexis said:


    I laughed when I saw the lucyspoileddog email. My dog is named Lucy, and if she ain't
    spoiled, I don't know what is! Here's a pic of her with her new summer hairdo:
    http://i5.tinypic.com/14abz38.jpg

    kimberly

    Oh, she's GORGEOUS! Yes, my Lucy is spoiled, but she earns it. She's
    a Border Collie/Lab mix, so she's got the Border Collie brains, and the
    sweet Lab temperament. My husband considers her to be so spoiled
    because I cook her food (she has a better diet than most people on this
    planet) and usually before he gets any dinner. I'll post a pic of her
    if I can ever figure out how to do it from google.

    Sandy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.