General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Dip target muscle

Started by fj · · Last activity · 82 posts · 3,197 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 May 2005
Last activity
29 May 2005
Original author
fj
Posts
82
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,197
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 82
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    David Cohen said:

    "fj" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    What did you guys turn my thread into? How did it happen?

    It's easy. We are experienced professional thread OT'ers. Do not try this at
    home.

    Quoted message said:


    BTW, I don't have dogs but I will have a JackRusell Terrier one day. They
    look really cute.

    Great reason to get one. They're such laid-back couch potatoes, what could
    go wrong?

    David

    You are evil incarnate. ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JMW said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:
    In article said:

    What did you guys turn my thread into? How did it happen?

    BTW, I don't have dogs but I will have a JackRusell Terrier one day. They
    look really cute.

    Oh lord...

    You'd best study up on those dogs!
    They are more than just "cute".

    They can be a real handful!
    Great dogs, but you'd better have time for them!

    Aw, Jacks aren't that bad. They're only like a raising a child.

    Indeed...

    One of my co-workers has one.
    She is past child bearing so to her and
    her husband, that dog IS their child.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JMW said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    David Cohen said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > rev <[email hidden]*an*> wrote:
    >
    >> Jeff wrote:
    >> > On Thu, 26 May 2005 12:17:35 -0700, "fj" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >>If I want to focus on Pecs(or Tricep), how do you adjust your form?
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > No matter what you do, you will involve the pecs and anterior delts to
    >> > a large degree. You can put the majority of the emphasis on the
    >> > triceps by keeping as upright as possible while dipping and keeping
    >> > the elbows closer to your body. You'll also wind up putting a ton of
    >> > stress on your anterior delts this way, but there is no way around it.
    >> > If you want to do dips more so as a pec exercise lean forward while
    >> > dipping and let the elbows flare out more, almost like a decline
    >> > press. Some gyms have a v-shaped dipping bar. If your's does the
    >> > wider your grip is the more you'll hit the pecs and vice versa for the
    >> > triceps.
    >>
    >> And what exactly has this to do with border collies? A great answer but
    >> OT. We progressed from dip target to bench press in a short time and
    >> logically moving on the dogs. I expect the next twist in the thread to
    >> introduce Dipping sheep (which collies love to take care of).
    >>
    >> Can anybody comment on good form form sheep dipping? Or would cattle
    >> dipping be better?
    >
    > I'm sure that any commercial feed store will have a good sheep dipping
    > product. Our feed store has an annual mid-summer dog dip for $1.00 per
    > dog.....
    >
    > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go to
    > guns. ;-)
    >
    > So, David, which is better?
    >
    > A .357 or a 9mm?
    >
    > Revolver or SA?

    Define "better". Define the scenario.

    It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)

    David

    One for home defense, (stopping power)
    and one for licensed carry.

    Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.

    Revolvers or SA's?
    I've heard and read pros and cons on both...
    Hence my internal debate.
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    JMW said:


    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    "fj" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > What did you guys turn my thread into? How did it happen?
    >
    > BTW, I don't have dogs but I will have a JackRusell Terrier one day. They
    > look really cute.

    Oh lord...

    You'd best study up on those dogs!
    They are more than just "cute".

    They can be a real handful!
    Great dogs, but you'd better have time for them!

    Aw, Jacks aren't that bad. They're only like a raising a child.

    Indeed...

    One of my co-workers has one.
    She is past child bearing so to her and
    her husband, that dog IS their child.

    I have a similar co-worker.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  5. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:
    JMW said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > > rev <[email hidden]*an*> wrote:
    > >> Jeff wrote:
    > >> > On Thu, 26 May 2005 12:17:35 -0700, "fj" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> >>If I want to focus on Pecs(or Tricep), how do you adjust your form?
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> > No matter what you do, you will involve the pecs and anterior delts to
    > >> > a large degree. You can put the majority of the emphasis on the
    > >> > triceps by keeping as upright as possible while dipping and keeping
    > >> > the elbows closer to your body. You'll also wind up putting a ton of
    > >> > stress on your anterior delts this way, but there is no way around it.
    > >> > If you want to do dips more so as a pec exercise lean forward while
    > >> > dipping and let the elbows flare out more, almost like a decline
    > >> > press. Some gyms have a v-shaped dipping bar. If your's does the
    > >> > wider your grip is the more you'll hit the pecs and vice versa for the
    > >> > triceps.
    > >>
    > >> And what exactly has this to do with border collies? A great answer but
    > >> OT. We progressed from dip target to bench press in a short time and
    > >> logically moving on the dogs. I expect the next twist in the thread to
    > >> introduce Dipping sheep (which collies love to take care of).
    > >>
    > >> Can anybody comment on good form form sheep dipping? Or would cattle
    > >> dipping be better?
    > >
    > > I'm sure that any commercial feed store will have a good sheep dipping
    > > product. Our feed store has an annual mid-summer dog dip for $1.00 per
    > > dog.....
    > >
    > > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go to
    > > guns. ;-)
    > >
    > > So, David, which is better?
    > >
    > > A .357 or a 9mm?
    > >
    > > Revolver or SA?
    >
    > Define "better". Define the scenario.
    >
    > It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)
    >
    > David

    One for home defense, (stopping power)
    and one for licensed carry.

    Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.

    Revolvers or SA's?
    I've heard and read pros and cons on both...
    Hence my internal debate.

    9mm Parabellum is an automatic cartridge; .357 Magnum is a revolver
    cartridge. They are what they are.

    Yes, a few automatics have been designed to fire .357 Magnum
    cartridges. They are grossly overpriced, and there are much better
    high-power solutions for much lower prices.

    Yes, a few revolvers have been designed to fire 9mm Parabellum. They
    require full- or half-moon cartridge clips, which are a pain in the
    ass, and they are also overpriced. And in a revolver, you'll get poor
    performance out of an automatic cartridge.

    As I said, the cartridges are what they are.

    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  6. David Cohen said:


    Delenn wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm worried about the activity level. I'm home and available to take
    him for a short run at lunchtime. I've also got two boys who have
    signed up to do morning and afternoon walks.

    NEVER get a dog assuming the kids will have anything to do with it.
    Anything you get from the kids, or the husband, is a bonus. It's unfair
    to the dog to assume otherwise. Get the dog for YOU.

    I hear your words of wisdom. One of the ironies in our house is that
    Ela (our Lab) thinks she belongs to my husband. She adores him. But
    *I'm* with her all day long, I took her to training, I run with her. He
    shows up and feeds her and she adores him. The boys come home and she
    adores them. I'm just not appreciated. <sob>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We've got tennis balls and
    wooded trails for running on, but we honestly don't take Ela
    out running more than once or twice a week - a lot of our exercise is at
    the gym or on bikes. I'm working as an accountant, not a forest ranger.
    And we don't have a herd of sheep. Can an active family of five in a
    suburban environment HAVE a border collie?

    Sure, if "active" is stuff the dog can do, too. If "active" is the gym,
    the Marxist Bridge Club, the Swinging Oldies Wife Swap Get Together,
    and an occasional walk in the woods, no.

    It's spooky how well you know me, David. Are you sure you don't have a
    webcam on me?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd rate us as better than
    average dog owners, but border collies are sort of the big league in
    terms of need.

    So, get some other breed. A Liberal Left Wing East Coast Foo Foo dog.
    Something French. A Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen, maybe.

    Excellent suggestion, and that was my second choice.

    I just got back from visiting our neighbor who has a rescue border
    collie who has terrible manners. The dog jumps on everyone and licks
    and licks and so most people stay away from her, but I crouched down and
    got thoroughly licked and then could speak to her. She's really quite
    delightful in a bouncing-off-the-walls sort of way. One of my kids is
    sort of like that (his nickname isn't very catchy, but is descriptive
    non-the-less: we call him Relentless-Boy.) Anyway, we've both got half
    acre lots with half-ass fencing and I asked her about how having a
    border collie is working out for them and they said they love her and
    would get another one.

    Damn the peer pressue.

    I've got to get this settled because we're going to be visiting these BC
    puppies for a week while they're 6-7 weeks old. We must be firm in our
    resolve if we're resolving not to do it.

    Delenn

  7. fj said:

    What did you guys turn my thread into? How did it happen?

    My mistake. You asked about dips for pecs and I didn't know about this:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/WtChestDip.html

    and I just thought you were being really stupid about what was worked by
    this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtBenchDip.html

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, I don't have dogs but I will have a JackRusell Terrier one day. They
    look really cute.

    If that's your reason then I'd recommend you get a stuffed one.

    Delenn

  8. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    David Cohen said:

    "fj" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    What did you guys turn my thread into? How did it happen?

    It's easy. We are experienced professional thread OT'ers. Do not try


    this at

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    home.

    Quoted message said:


    BTW, I don't have dogs but I will have a JackRusell Terrier one day.


    They

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    look really cute.

    Great reason to get one. They're such laid-back couch potatoes, what


    could

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    go wrong?

    David

    You are evil incarnate. ;-)

    I second that.

    -fj

  9. "Delenn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    fj said:

    What did you guys turn my thread into? How did it happen?

    My mistake. You asked about dips for pecs and I didn't know about this:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/WtChestDip.html


    Thanks for the link

    Quoted message said:

    and I just thought you were being really stupid about what was worked by
    this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtBenchDip.html


    Nah, I didn't mean this.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    BTW, I don't have dogs but I will have a JackRusell Terrier one day.


    They

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    look really cute.

    If that's your reason then I'd recommend you get a stuffed one.

    Delenn

    I am aware of the responsibilities that's why I don't have one yet. It's
    disgusting those who claim loving their dogs but abandon them when they are
    tired of taking care of them.

    -fj

  10. DZ said:
    JMW said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Revolvers or SA's? I've heard and read pros and cons on both...
    Hence my internal debate.

    9mm Parabellum is an automatic cartridge; .357 Magnum is a revolver
    cartridge. They are what they are.

    During summer of 1986 I was shooting at an old tank positioned in the
    field from a rocket propelled grenade launcher during our precision
    shooting practice drills in Far East of USSR.

    I have only seen images of the Soviet RPG, but it does not seem to have
    much in common with the 9mm Parabellum or the .357 Magnum. I assumed
    that the actual firing of the RPG would not produce a loud report, and
    that the target would be sufficiently distant such that the explosion
    upon contact would not be deafening. Am I wrong?

    Quoted message said:

    Friends smuggled in a tape of Gyorgy Ligeti etudes "Book I" that just
    recently appeared and everyone back in Vladivostok was talking about
    it. But we couldn't really listen to the tape because of the temporary
    deafness combined with high pitched sound in the head.

    In the summer of 1992, I brought my .44 Special to my dad's house to do
    some target shooting with my former stepbrother, who had just returned
    from the Gulf War. I forgot to bring ear protection. He was in Armor
    Maintenance and was accustomed to hearing constant firing from the
    tanks right next to him, so he was sure that he wouldn't need ear
    protection. I decided to go without it, too. We were both sorry we
    did.

  11. rev said:

    Can anybody comment on good form form sheep dipping? Or would cattle
    dipping be better?

    I think that to avoid injury and overtraining, it's best to start with
    a smallish goat.

    LM

  12. Lee Michaels said:

    Delenn, you have not approached this from a modern technological
    perspective. You should invest in high tech satellite transmission
    equipment and outfit your self with the latest portable computers. Then you
    can do your accountant work and run with the dog at the same time. And your
    clients would love it!

    You would be the ultimate power momma!

    HTH

    Who says I don't already? Haven't you ever wondered about my alleged
    triathlon training while still managing to be on usenet 24 hours a day?

    Gotta love living in a neighborhood where everyone has a wireless LAN.

    Delenn

  13. "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:
    David Cohen said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go to
    > guns. ;-)
    >
    > So, David, which is better?
    >
    > A .357 or a 9mm?
    >
    > Revolver or SA?

    Define "better". Define the scenario.

    It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    One for home defense, (stopping power)
    and one for licensed carry.

    Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.

    Reasonable choice, but, still depends. For example, a big guy with big hands
    who is not recoil sensitive (me) might like the opposite: a big high cap 9mm
    for home defense, and a small .357, like one of the awesome 12 ounce
    scandium/titanium S&Ws. Depends.

    David

  14. On Sat, 28 May 2005 00:03:40 GMT, "David Cohen"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    Quoted message said:


    "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go to
    > > guns. ;-)
    > >
    > > So, David, which is better?
    > >
    > > A .357 or a 9mm?
    > >
    > > Revolver or SA?
    >
    > Define "better". Define the scenario.
    >
    > It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    One for home defense, (stopping power)
    and one for licensed carry.

    Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.

    Reasonable choice, but, still depends. For example, a big guy with big hands
    who is not recoil sensitive (me) might like the opposite: a big high cap 9mm
    for home defense, and a small .357, like one of the awesome 12 ounce
    scandium/titanium S&Ws. Depends.


    ..44 mag for home defense. It's about the most powerful handgun I'll
    shoot one handed with good accuracy.

  15. David Cohen said:
    John Hanson said:

    "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >>> > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go to
    >>> > guns. ;-)
    >>> >
    >>> > So, David, which is better?
    >>> >
    >>> > A .357 or a 9mm?
    >>> >
    >>> > Revolver or SA?
    >>>
    >>> Define "better". Define the scenario.
    >>>
    >>> It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)

    >>One for home defense, (stopping power)
    >>and one for licensed carry.
    >
    > Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.

    Reasonable choice, but, still depends. For example, a big guy with big hands
    who is not recoil sensitive (me) might like the opposite: a big high cap 9mm
    for home defense, and a small .357, like one of the awesome 12 ounce
    scandium/titanium S&Ws. Depends.


    .44 mag for home defense. It's about the most powerful handgun I'll
    shoot one handed with good accuracy.

    No, ya' big dum...uh, I mean, I would like to respectfully disagree,
    John. Issue #1: overpenetration. Issue #2: after the first shot, you're
    deaf for the rest of the encounter and deaf to the 911 operator.

    Issue #3: Second-shot recovery time. Even Elmer Keith admitted that
    the .44 Magnum would not be suitable for police use because of that.

    As to Issue #1, overpenetration is also problem with .357 Magnum as a
    home defense gun. Use of Glaser Safety Slugs is a good idea.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Larisa said:

    I get much better accuracy with a revolver. Not sure if it's just me,
    though.

    LM

    You are not alone from what I've been told!

    That was another consideration, as well as the fact that revolvers don't
    jam. They may mis-fire, but cannot get an unfired shell jammed if it
    fails to eject from a SA chamber for some reason.

    I'm told also tho' that with proper gun maintenance, I should not have
    to worry about that...
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JMW said:
    David Cohen said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >> > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go to
    >> > guns. ;-)
    >> >
    >> > So, David, which is better?
    >> >
    >> > A .357 or a 9mm?
    >> >
    >> > Revolver or SA?
    >>
    >> Define "better". Define the scenario.
    >>
    >> It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)

    Quoted message said:

    >One for home defense, (stopping power)
    >and one for licensed carry.

    Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.

    Reasonable choice, but, still depends. For example, a big guy with big hands
    who is not recoil sensitive (me) might like the opposite: a big high cap 9mm
    for home defense, and a small .357, like one of the awesome 12 ounce
    scandium/titanium S&Ws. Depends.

    Home defense: .357 Magnum, 4-6" heavy barrel (e.g., S&W 66 or 686);
    less recoil, more intimidation.

    Concealed carry: compact 9mm (many, many types); concealable,
    sufficiently powerful.

    My recommendations were not directed to you.

    ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    David Cohen said:
    John Hanson said:

    "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >>> > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go
    >>> > to
    >>> > guns. ;-)
    >>> >
    >>> > So, David, which is better?
    >>> >
    >>> > A .357 or a 9mm?
    >>> >
    >>> > Revolver or SA?
    >>>
    >>> Define "better". Define the scenario.
    >>>
    >>> It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)

    >>One for home defense, (stopping power)
    >>and one for licensed carry.
    >
    > Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.

    Reasonable choice, but, still depends. For example, a big guy with big
    hands
    who is not recoil sensitive (me) might like the opposite: a big high cap
    9mm
    for home defense, and a small .357, like one of the awesome 12 ounce
    scandium/titanium S&Ws. Depends.


    .44 mag for home defense. It's about the most powerful handgun I'll
    shoot one handed with good accuracy.

    No, ya' big dum...uh, I mean, I would like to respectfully disagree,
    John. Issue #1: overpenetration. Issue #2: after the first shot, you're
    deaf for the rest of the encounter and deaf to the 911 operator.

    David

    <lol>
    Thanks for the chuckle......
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JMW said:
    David Cohen said:
    John Hanson said:

    "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >"JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >> OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>> "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >>>> > Actually, now that the thread has moved on to dogs, it will next go
    >>>> > to
    >>>> > guns. ;-)
    >>>> >
    >>>> > So, David, which is better?
    >>>> >
    >>>> > A .357 or a 9mm?
    >>>> >
    >>>> > Revolver or SA?
    >>>>
    >>>> Define "better". Define the scenario.
    >>>>
    >>>> It depends. (No $ until Lyle stops by for a visit)
    >
    >>>One for home defense, (stopping power)
    >>>and one for licensed carry.
    >>
    >> Then one of each. Big .357, small 9mm.
    >
    >Reasonable choice, but, still depends. For example, a big guy with big
    >hands
    >who is not recoil sensitive (me) might like the opposite: a big high cap
    >9mm
    >for home defense, and a small .357, like one of the awesome 12 ounce
    >scandium/titanium S&Ws. Depends.
    >
    .44 mag for home defense. It's about the most powerful handgun I'll
    shoot one handed with good accuracy.

    No, ya' big dum...uh, I mean, I would like to respectfully disagree,
    John. Issue #1: overpenetration. Issue #2: after the first shot, you're
    deaf for the rest of the encounter and deaf to the 911 operator.

    Issue #3: Second-shot recovery time. Even Elmer Keith admitted that
    the .44 Magnum would not be suitable for police use because of that.

    As to Issue #1, overpenetration is also problem with .357 Magnum as a
    home defense gun. Use of Glaser Safety Slugs is a good idea.

    Okay, educate me please!
    What is a Glaser Safety Slug?

    Will Google....... ;-)

    My choice would have been hollowpoints?
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JMW said:

    Use of Glaser Safety Slugs is a good idea.

    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/frangible.htm

    Fascinating...
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.