General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Direct Link Between Prostaglandin E2 and Pain Intensity

Started by Dan · · Last activity · 9 posts · 409 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 August 2005
Last activity
28 August 2005
Original author
Dan
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
409
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. PGE2 increases pain. The supplements Omega-3 fish oil and Vitamin E
    can lower the prostaglandin PGE2. Omega-6 fatty acids, mostly from
    animal fat, except GLA can increase PGE2.

    There is a well established association between acute inflammation and
    pain sensation but the exact correlation between the two is poorly
    understood. The role of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) as an inflammatory
    mediator is also well established and this trial sought to determine
    any direct link between the specific concentration of PGE2 at the sight
    of local inflammation and the pain experienced by a patient.

    http://debunkbigpharma.blognation.us/blog/_archives/2005/8/26/1171955.html

  2. The more intelligent way to deal with excess PGE2 is to let your body
    do what comes naturally, that is, when you stop consuming dietary PUFAs
    (except in trace amounts), your body makes what is called Mead acid,
    and then you can no longer make PGE2 at all. Instead, your body makes
    prostaglandins that are much more biochemically stable, and hence,
    safer by a large order of magnitude. Someone who posts here (and
    appears to have scientific credentials) has disagreed with me on the
    ground that Mead acid is "too inert," presumably when compared to
    arachidonic acid (which is used to make PGE2). I agree completely, but
    that's not the point, which concerns the clinical implications.
    Derivatives of arachidonic acid may be useful in emergency medicine,
    when very potent substances are needed, but in normal, day-to-day
    activities, the body does not need such potent and unstable substances.
    There are many studies that support this claim, and there are hundreds
    that implicate arachidonic acid in the cause of many "diseases,"
    directly or throught the metabolites, especially PGE2 and LTB4.

    Now you know what is going on, down to the molecular level. If you
    choose to ignore it, you will only hurt yourself, because you cannot
    play around with such biochemically potent substances on a regular
    basis and think that you will not get one or another "chronic disease."
    Fish oil is even worse (in the sense that omega 3s are generally
    considerably more unstable than omega 6s), but it does disrupt
    arachidonic acid metabolism (though there are some contradictory
    reports about flax oil/linolenic acid), at least temporarily. It's
    very similar to the effects of chemotherapy, and if you look at the
    survival statistics of those who receive strong doses of chemo, you
    know what a bad idea this is. Many suggest that fish oil "cures
    cancer," when in fact the cancer cells can't even deal with the
    biochemical activity generated by fish oil. If you eat this stuff,
    realize that your MO is that "it takes a monster to kill a monster,"
    and don't complain when the monster you thought was your friend decides
    to take you down.

  3. This is why NSAIDs can cause ulcers and COX-2s can cause heart attacks.
    They down regulate prostaglandins and thromboxanes when they inhibit
    COX-1 and they down regulate Prostaglandins and Prostacyclins when they
    inhibit COX-2.

    Picture the Imflamatory response pathways with the understanding that
    there is only one way in and no way out. Then picture the COX-2
    pathway being down regulated. The COX-1 pathway will have to up
    regulate. It produces Prostaglandins and Thromboxanes. Prostaglandins
    help preserve the stomach lining and thromboxanes regulate
    vasoconstriction. An increase of prostaglandins results in up
    regulation of the 5LOX pathway and excess Leukotrienes are produced
    which causes more imflamation. The increase in Thromboxanes causes the
    veins to constrict and decreases blood flow and the lungs ability to
    use oxygen (Hypoxia). Which could result in a heart attack and is why
    COX-2s are dangerous.

    PGE2 is only a small part of the imfalmatory response if you look at it
    from this perspective.

  4. If you read the literature on the metabolites that come through COX-1
    and 2, and do a little thinking, you have to ask, "how much is really
    needed and how potent do these substances need to be?" It was obvious
    to me that arachidonic acid (AA) is just too potent and biochemically
    unstable to be necessary to do the work of COX-1, and if COX-2 isn't
    working, you'd know it. If you get a cut, does it heal well? If so,
    you're fine in the COX-2 context. After avoiding dietary PUFAs (except
    in trace amounts) for about 3 years now, my cuts heal better than ever
    and I don't have any stomach problems (which the current dogma suggests
    I should have, since the AA metabolites coming though COX-1 should be
    necessary to "protect" the gut). The point is that since I have Mead
    acid in my body rather than AA the current dogma requires that I have
    stomach problems and that my wounds don't heal. If anything, the
    opposite is the case. In the absence of any truly scientific evidence
    demonstrating that I am harming myself, and in light of the large body
    of scientific literature that now links cancer and "chronic diseases"
    to AA metabolites, there is no reason to discontinue my avoidance of
    dietary PUFAs (in more than trace amounts) except because I am making
    people whose careers were based upon the claim or whose businesses are
    involved in selling "essential fatty acids" uncomfortable. Sorry,
    that's just not good enough for me.

  5. On 26 Aug 2005 17:47:04 -0700, "montygram" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    If you read the literature on the metabolites that come through COX-1
    and 2, and do a little thinking, you have to ask, "how much is really
    needed and how potent do these substances need to be?" It was obvious
    to me that arachidonic acid (AA) is just too potent and biochemically
    unstable to be necessary to do the work of COX-1, and if COX-2 isn't
    working, you'd know it. If you get a cut, does it heal well? If so,
    you're fine in the COX-2 context. After avoiding dietary PUFAs (except
    in trace amounts) for about 3 years now, my cuts heal better than ever
    and I don't have any stomach problems (which the current dogma suggests
    I should have, since the AA metabolites coming though COX-1 should be
    necessary to "protect" the gut). The point is that since I have Mead
    acid in my body rather than AA the current dogma requires that I have
    stomach problems and that my wounds don't heal. If anything, the
    opposite is the case. In the absence of any truly scientific evidence
    demonstrating that I am harming myself, and in light of the large body
    of scientific literature that now links cancer and "chronic diseases"
    to AA metabolites, there is no reason to discontinue my avoidance of
    dietary PUFAs (in more than trace amounts) except because I am making
    people whose careers were based upon the claim or whose businesses are
    involved in selling "essential fatty acids" uncomfortable. Sorry,
    that's just not good enough for me.

    Ah, now I get it!

    1. Arachidonic acid is bad

    2. Arachidonic acid is a PUFA

    3. Therefore, all PUFA's are bad.

    You are a genius, man!

  6. You tell em montygram!

  7. Mr. Cocky seems to enjoy demonstrating his ignorance. In posts you
    started, I stated that an intelligent person would want Mead acid,
    which is a PUFA the body produces on its own, if not overloaded with
    omega 6 or 3 PUFAs (due to their stronger biochemical activity and
    instability). If you want to talk science, fine, that is what this NG
    is for, but don't misrepresent others. My posts are very clear. I
    document and explain everything down to the molecular level, sometimes
    even beyond that (for example, I've talked of how the periodic table
    holds useful information to biochemical processes). In one recent
    post, you cited some studies and explained exactly what was going on
    there, scientifically (I can't speak of things like conflicts of
    interest that might be involved, because I do not know those people).
    That is all I can do for you. Now, if you want to go ahead and drink a
    pint of fish oil each day, go ahead and see what happens to you.

  8. On 27 Aug 2005 17:38:00 -0700, "montygram" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Mr. Cocky seems to enjoy demonstrating his ignorance. In posts you
    started, I stated that an intelligent person would want Mead acid,
    which is a PUFA the body produces on its own, if not overloaded with
    omega 6 or 3 PUFAs (due to their stronger biochemical activity and
    instability). If you want to talk science, fine, that is what this NG
    is for, but don't misrepresent others. My posts are very clear. I
    document and explain everything down to the molecular level, sometimes
    even beyond that (for example, I've talked of how the periodic table
    holds useful information to biochemical processes). In one recent
    post, you cited some studies and explained exactly what was going on
    there, scientifically (I can't speak of things like conflicts of
    interest that might be involved, because I do not know those people).
    That is all I can do for you.

    You ignore *ALL* studies showing positive health effects from the
    consumption of EPA/DHA fatty acids. That is what I see. In addition,
    I'm unable to find any studies on PubMed documenting *ANY* particular
    beneficts of mead acid. As such, there's nothing anyone can do for
    you. You are a total and complete lost cause, probably due to a lack
    of DHA in your brain.

  9. montygram said:

    Mr. Cocky seems to enjoy demonstrating his ignorance. In posts you
    started, I stated that an intelligent person would want Mead acid,
    which is a PUFA the body produces on its own, if not overloaded with
    omega 6 or 3 PUFAs (due to their stronger biochemical activity and
    instability).

    COMMENT:

    Actually, Mead acid is a poor-substitute w-9 PUFA which the body
    produces in desperation when short of w-3/w-6 EFAs, and which cells in
    culture produce in large quantity, just before they DIE of w-3 and w-6
    deficiency. And ONLY then. The Mead acid doesn't save them (though w-6
    and w-3 do, if you add it, following which the Mead acid goes away).
    All this reminds me of several of the SOS systems the body uses to try
    to repair skin with keratosis and scarring, when deficienct of vitamin
    A, or B2. It's a stopgap measure, and ultimately it fails.

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to talk science, fine, that is what this NG
    is for, but don't misrepresent others. My posts are very clear. I
    document and explain everything down to the molecular level, sometimes
    even beyond that (for example, I've talked of how the periodic table
    holds useful information to biochemical processes).

    COMMENT:
    You ignore findings even at the cell level, in culture. Like this one,
    which you'll find abundantly documented after a cursory medline search,
    and which I've posted reference after ignored reference for you on,
    before.

    SBH

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.