Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

disc brakes

Started by John Croke · · Last activity · 28 posts · 1,375 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
9 June 2004
Last activity
17 June 2004
Original author
John Croke
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,375
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. MattB said:
    Ride-A-Lot said:
    John Croke said:

    hi i am after a hydro disc setup, what do you recommend?

    How about Hayes, Avid, Hope, Magura, Shimano, or Gramica?
    Did I miss a few?

    You need to be a little more specific including what
    make, model, and year bike you have. does it have DB
    tabs? Does the fork have DB tabs?

    I'm still enjoying my Magura Marta SLs. They are
    hydraulic, but are a light weight XC kind of brake. They
    make my bike stop very well and they are pretty light. As
    an added plus they look cool.

    Matt

    Man... I lusted after those Marta SLs for many months... but
    I just couldn't bring myself to shell out the coin (even at
    pro deal prices they were expensive). Do you have them
    mounted on your Epic? I would like to see a full review if
    you get the time. Speaking of which... I haven't ever seen
    your 12 month review of the Epic frame you promised us.
    Admittedly, I haven't been following the NG very closely the
    past few months, though.

    John M

  2. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Gravity does the seating, as well, with the bike
    rightside up.

    I was thinking in terms of somebody tightening the skewer
    while the bike was supported....didn't dawn on me to put the
    wheel in, lean on the bars a little... Duhhh....

    But I'll still stick with having the bike upside down....the
    skewer is right there where you can see it and the slot and
    I'm not rushed like I would be if I were squatting,
    inserting/tightening with one hand and balancing the bike
    with the other hand.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  3. "Craig Brossman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I missed the prior post, but I have screwed up the rotor
    insertion on my avid mechs. and bent the little clips.
    What a hassle, do not do it!

    After the first time I did that I had my FLBS order me a bag
    of ten of those H-springs just so I wouldn't have to screw
    around with straightening them out. They're item # BR6948 in
    the QBP catalog if you're interested.

    aebike.compage.cfm

    Just Say: "The front wheel's a breeze but the Breezer rear
    drop outs can sometimes be a bit pesky in this regard."

  4. John Morgan said:
    MattB said:
    Ride-A-Lot said:

    John Croke wrote:
    > hi i am after a hydro disc setup, what do you
    > recommend?

    How about Hayes, Avid, Hope, Magura, Shimano, or
    Gramica? Did I miss a few?

    You need to be a little more specific including what
    make, model, and year bike you have. does it have DB
    tabs? Does the fork have DB tabs?

    I'm still enjoying my Magura Marta SLs. They are
    hydraulic, but are a light weight XC kind of brake. They
    make my bike stop very well and they are pretty light. As
    an added plus they look cool.

    Matt

    Man... I lusted after those Marta SLs for many months...
    but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out the coin
    (even at pro deal prices they were expensive). Do you have
    them mounted on your Epic? I would like to see a full
    review if you get the time. Speaking of which... I haven't
    ever seen your 12 month review of the Epic frame you
    promised us. Admittedly, I haven't been following the NG
    very closely the past few months, though.

    John M

    Did I promise? I'm usually too afraid of commitment to make
    promises, but I'll see what I can do. I think it's maybe a
    little early for an in-depth review of the brakes (I did
    post a mini review after four rides if you missed that - and
    yes they are on the Epic), but so far I'm very happy with
    the bike ('03 S-Works FSR). If I feel the need to
    procrastinate more later in the day/week I'll post something
    more in-depth.

    The Marta SLs ended up being $30 more per brake than the
    regular Marta's on a really sweet deal Magura has going now
    for shop employees (my wife got them for me with new wheels
    as a birthday gift). That was close enough for me I had to
    cast my vote to go for the super-trick brakes. I'm weak when
    it comes to that kind of thing.

    Matt

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Man... I lusted after those Marta SLs for many months...
    but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out the coin
    (even at pro deal prices they were expensive). Do you
    have them mounted on your Epic? I would like to see a
    full review if you get the time. Speaking of which... I
    haven't ever seen your 12 month review of the Epic frame
    you promised us. Admittedly, I haven't been following the
    NG very closely the past few months, though.

    John M

    Did I promise? I'm usually too afraid of commitment to
    make promises, but I'll see what I can do. I think it's
    maybe a little early for an in-depth review of the brakes
    (I did post a mini review after four rides if you missed
    that - and yes they are on the Epic), but so far I'm very
    happy with the bike ('03 S-Works FSR). If I feel the need
    to procrastinate more later in the day/week I'll post
    something more in-depth.

    The Marta SLs ended up being $30 more per brake than the
    regular Marta's on a really sweet deal Magura has going
    now for shop employees (my wife got them for me with new
    wheels as a birthday gift). That was close enough for me I
    had to cast my vote to go for the super-trick brakes. I'm
    weak when it comes to that kind of thing.

    Matt

    Yup, you may want to read the last paragraph... sounds like
    a commitment to me! =)

    ttp://groups.google.com/groups?selm=b13nh9%24uaten%241%40ID-
    86156.news.dfncis.de>

    I saw that deal in Bicycle Retailer for those Marta SLs
    about 8 months ago. It was still something like $200-$250
    per wheel though. My co-worker ordered a few sets, but I
    just couldn't bring myself to do it.

    If you want, I'd be glad to comment on the Epic review,
    since I've been riding my stock '03 S-Works FSR since May
    '03... though I must admit I missed the entire riding season
    due to an injury in October.

    I'll be back in the saddle for sure when the weather
    cools down.

    John M

  6. Hey, I was wondering whats the difference between sintered
    and semi-metallic disk brake pads, and what they are
    recommended for. I guess sintered pads are for muddy messy
    conditions, and semi metallic are for regullar conditions?
    If it matters, which i dont think it does, I have Hayes MX-
    1's, which came stock with semi-metallic.

    Thanks, Ethan

  7. OsirisBoarder said:

    Hey, I was wondering whats the difference between sintered
    and semi-metallic disk brake pads, and what they are
    recommended for. I guess sintered pads are for muddy messy
    conditions, and semi metallic are for regullar conditions?
    If it matters, which i dont think it does, I have Hayes
    MX-1's, which came stock with semi-metallic.

    Thanks, Ethan

    hayesdiscbrake.comfriction.html

    - khill

  8. John Morgan said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Man... I lusted after those Marta SLs for many months...
    but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out the coin
    (even at pro deal prices they were expensive). Do you
    have them mounted on your Epic? I would like to see a
    full review if you get the time. Speaking of which... I
    haven't ever seen your 12 month review of the Epic frame
    you promised us. Admittedly, I haven't been following
    the NG very closely the past few months, though.

    John M

    Did I promise? I'm usually too afraid of commitment to
    make promises, but I'll see what I can do. I think it's
    maybe a little early for an in-depth review of the brakes
    (I did post a mini review after four rides if you missed
    that - and yes they are on the Epic), but so far I'm very
    happy with the bike ('03 S-Works FSR). If I feel the need
    to procrastinate more later in the day/week I'll post
    something more in-depth.

    The Marta SLs ended up being $30 more per brake than the
    regular Marta's on a really sweet deal Magura has going
    now for shop employees (my wife got them for me with new
    wheels as a birthday gift). That was close enough for me
    I had to cast my vote to go for the super-trick brakes.
    I'm weak when it comes to that kind of thing.

    Matt

    Yup, you may want to read the last paragraph... sounds
    like a commitment to me! =)


    ttp://groups.google.com/groups?selm=b13nh9%24uaten%241%40ID-
    86156.news.dfn
    cis.de>

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think I'd call this: "That will give me a chance to
    give a follow-up longer term evaluation." a promise, but
    I'll still trry and get something written up - it would be
    good work procrastination, not that I really need that!

    Quoted message said:

    I saw that deal in Bicycle Retailer for those Marta SLs
    about 8 months ago. It was still something like $200-$250
    per wheel though. My co-worker ordered a few sets, but I
    just couldn't bring myself to do it.

    I wouldn't pay that much either. I got mine for considerably
    less (slightly more than that figure including the trick
    wheels to go with them). I guess it's good to have
    connections.

    Quoted message said:

    If you want, I'd be glad to comment on the Epic review,
    since I've been riding my stock '03 S-Works FSR since May
    '03... though I must admit I missed the entire riding
    season due to an injury in October.

    Coolio.

    Quoted message said:

    I'll be back in the saddle for sure when the weather
    cools down.

    John M

    Matt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.