General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Discolored High-Carbon Steel?

Started by EskWIRED · · Last activity · 7 posts · 476 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 February 2004
Last activity
4 April 2004
Original author
EskWIRED
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
476
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a set of high-carbon butcher's knives that I got at an estate sale (it was quite a score -
    14" Scimitar, 12" Boning Knife, 2 pound cleaver and an 8" trimming knife, all with brand new
    handles, with a professional quality steel, and a maple butcher's block, scary sharp, for $20! My
    guess is that the deceased was a butcher, and when he retired, he put new handles on his knives,
    sharpened them and put them away.)

    They are discolored. Can I clean/shine them up at all?

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  2. Quoted message said:

    EskWIRED Writes:

    I have a set of high-carbon butcher's knives.

    They are discolored. Can I clean/shine them up at all?

    Carbon steel knives are supposed to become darkened... so long as they're not rusted leave them
    alone... don't even think about touching them with any kind of abrasive. After use wash by hand
    only, do not submerge the wood handles, wipe dry and store in a safe place.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
    ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. EskWIRED said:

    I have a set of high-carbon butcher's knives that I got at an estate sale (it was quite a score -
    14" Scimitar, 12" Boning Knife, 2 pound cleaver and an 8" trimming knife, all with brand new
    handles, with a professional quality steel, and a maple butcher's block, scary sharp, for $20!

    Nice drive-by.

    Quoted message said:

    guess is that the deceased was a butcher, and when he retired, he put new handles on his knives,
    sharpened them and put them away.)

    Quoted message said:

    They are discolored. Can I clean/shine them up at all?

    Discolored's OK, pitting/rust isn't. As long as there's no corrosion there shouldn't be a problem.

    There are a number of boutique products/polishing kits out there for sword afficionados but, meh,
    it's more work than it's worth IMO. Camellia oil, rottenstone, and pads might work.

    Abrasives are out unless you want to use toothpolish and your thumbs, but you'll never get HCS
    blades shiny, nor would you want to - the discoloration is part of the patina/protective layer.

    Just remember this: warm soapy water, thorough rinse, towel dry and a quick wipe with a paper towel
    and vegetable oil. If you're going to leave them for a while, like a week or so, it doesn't hurt to
    fold the blades into a paper towel drizzled with vegetable oil.

    Best,

    Marc

  4. In rec.food.cooking said:
    Quoted message said:

    EskWIRED Writes:

    I have a set of high-carbon butcher's knives.

    They are discolored. Can I clean/shine them up at all?

    Quoted message said:

    Carbon steel knives are supposed to become darkened... so long as they're not rusted leave them
    alone... don't even think about touching them with any kind of abrasive. After use wash by hand
    only, do not submerge the wood handles, wipe dry and store in a safe place.

    Thanks.

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  5. (PENMART01) said:
    Quoted message said:

    EskWIRED Writes:

    I have a set of high-carbon butcher's knives.

    They are discolored. Can I clean/shine them up at all?

    Carbon steel knives are supposed to become darkened... so long as they're not rusted leave them
    alone... don't even think about touching them with any kind of abrasive. After use wash by hand
    only, do not submerge the wood handles, wipe dry and store in a safe place.

    Gawd damn, Sheldon. I just wrote 'bout the same response.

    I think I should either award myself a gold star or be very, very afraid.

    Best,

    Marc

  6. [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a set of high-carbon butcher's knives that I got at
    an estate sale (it was quite a score - 14" Scimitar, 12"
    Boning Knife, 2 pound cleaver and an 8" trimming knife,
    all with brand new handles, with a professional quality
    steel, and a maple butcher's block, scary sharp, for $20!
    My guess is that the deceased was a butcher, and when he
    retired, he put new handles on his knives, sharpened them
    and put them away.)

    They are discolored. Can I clean/shine them up at all?

    Maybe BarKeepers Friend? It works wonders on stainless.

    Jack

    --
    *Top-posters are generally ignored*
    aka Keet Visit my webpage at
    junior.apk.net~jac "Always
    proofread to see if you any words."

  7. High Flight said:

    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a set of high-carbon butcher's knives that I got
    at an estate sale (it was quite a score - 14" Scimitar,
    12" Boning Knife, 2 pound cleaver and an 8" trimming
    knife, all with brand new handles, with a professional
    quality steel, and a maple butcher's block, scary sharp,
    for $20! My guess is that the deceased was a butcher, and
    when he retired, he put new handles on his knives,
    sharpened them and put them away.)

    They are discolored. Can I clean/shine them up at all?

    Maybe BarKeepers Friend? It works wonders on stainless.

    Jack


    They can be sharpened to the best edge, but they will
    discolor.

    It's a point of pride with people that have them!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.