Discovery Channel signs off

Crescentius Vespasianus

Guest
DirtRoadie wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-sp-cycle10aug10,1,3407791.story?coll=la-headlines-business
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2007-08-10-discovery-shut-down_N.htm
>
> They were about out of riders anyhow.
>
> DR

------------------
Despite its sterling record, Tailwind
has been unable to sign a title sponsor
for the 2008 season. Discovery Channel's
three-year contract expires this year
and new corporate management decided
against extending the deal.
Discovery, like many other cycling
teams, has been affected by the doping
scandals that have damaged the sport's
reputation in recent years. Although no
team member has ever been sanctioned for
doping while on the squad, the team had
to deal with the issue.
------
Doping has killed cycling, now Levi can
get a real job. Once all of the
sponsorship money runs away, then what?
Even Lance's stock has dropped, have
you noticed? The only thing that keeps
Lance a float is the cancer fight stuff
he does. Greg predicted this, why
wasn't anyone listening?

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 06:42:52 -0700, Crescentius Vespasianus
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Doping has killed cycling, now Levi can
>get a real job.

Right. There will be no bike racing at all due to doping. Right.
--
JT
****************************

On Aug 10, 6:46 am, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 06:42:52 -0700, Crescentius Vespasianus
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Doping has killed cycling, now Levi can
> >get a real job.

> Right. There will be no bike racing at all due to doping. Right.
> --
> JT
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

Didn't you see Telekom, and Nordmilch and pull the plug earlier this
week? Oh, yeah they didn't.
Bill C

need more sun wrote:
> On Aug 10, 3:06 pm, "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>> "DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-sp-cycle10aug10,1,3407791.story?co...
>>> http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2007-08-10-discovery-shut-down...
>>> They were about out of riders anyhow.

>> This has to be the greatest news ever to most of the group here.

> It's Karma, Tom, it's Karma.

I'll see your Karma, and raise you a schadenfreude.

DirtRoadie wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/business/la-sp-cycle10aug10,1,3407791.story?coll=la-headlines-business
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2007-08-10-discovery-shut-down_N.htm
>
> They were about out of riders anyhow.
>
> DR

How does one interpret this?:

"This was a difficult decision, not made any easier by our recent Tour de France success," general manager Bill Stapleton said in a statement. "We were in talks with a number of companies about the opportunity and were confident a new sponsor was imminent. We have chosen, however, to end those discussions."

1. We could have gotten a sponsor, but we're no longer interested, as cycling just has too much PR downside.
2. We were confident we'd get a sponsor, but we're not going to get a sponsor.

Dan

> How does one interpret this?:
>
> "This was a difficult decision, not made any easier by our recent Tour de
> France success," general manager Bill Stapleton said in a statement. "We
> were in talks with a number of companies about the opportunity and were
> confident a new sponsor was imminent. We have chosen, however, to end
> those discussions."
>
> 1. We could have gotten a sponsor, but we're no longer interested, as
> cycling just has too much PR downside.
> 2. We were confident we'd get a sponsor, but we're not going to get a
> sponsor.
>
> Dan

Given that everything is in past tense, I don't see much confusion. They
wanted a sponsor, they thought they were close, but they were essentially
strung along and the time by which the needed to have something set in
concrete is past.

And with what the stock market's been doing lately, their luck wasn't likely
to change if they were to hold out longer (which they didn't know would be
the case when this decision was made).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

On Aug 10, 11:21 am, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
wrote:
> DirtRoadie wrote:
> >http://www.latimes.com/business/la-sp-cycle10aug10,1,3407791.story?co...

> >http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2007-08-10-discovery-shut-down...

> > They were about out of riders anyhow.

> > DR

> How does one interpret this?:
>
> "This was a difficult decision, not made any easier by our recent Tour de France success," general manager Bill Stapleton said in a statement. "We were in talks with a number of companies about the opportunity and were confident a new sponsor was imminent. We have chosen, however, to end those discussions."
>
> 1. We could have gotten a sponsor, but we're no longer interested, as cycling just has too much PR downside.
> 2. We were confident we'd get a sponsor, but we're not going to get a sponsor.
>
> Dan

Possibly a ploy to reinvent themselves as a smaller team with lower
budget, fewer expectations and less baggage.

Bret

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>> How does one interpret this?:
>>
>> "This was a difficult decision, not made any easier by our recent Tour de
>> France success," general manager Bill Stapleton said in a statement. "We
>> were in talks with a number of companies about the opportunity and were
>> confident a new sponsor was imminent. We have chosen, however, to end
>> those discussions."
>>
>> 1. We could have gotten a sponsor, but we're no longer interested, as
>> cycling just has too much PR downside.
>> 2. We were confident we'd get a sponsor, but we're not going to get a
>> sponsor.
>>
>> Dan

> Given that everything is in past tense, I don't see much confusion. They
> wanted a sponsor, they thought they were close, but they were essentially
> strung along and the time by which the needed to have something set in
> concrete is past.
>
> And with what the stock market's been doing lately, their luck wasn't likely
> to change if they were to hold out longer (which they didn't know would be
> the case when this decision was made).

Interesting quote:
http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/13071.0.html

Tailwind spokesman PJ Rabice told VeloNews Friday morning that the decision was not based on "a failure to find a new sponsor."

Rabice declined to elaborate, but promised additional information later in the day.

On Aug 9, 9:42 am, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
wrote:
> DirtRoadie wrote:
> >http://www.latimes.com/business/la-sp-cycle10aug10,1,3407791.story?co...

> >http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2007-08-10-discovery-shut-down...

> > They were about out of riders anyhow.

> > DR

> ------------------
> Despite its sterling record, Tailwind
> has been unable to sign a title sponsor
> for the 2008 season. Discovery Channel's
> three-year contract expires this year
> and new corporate management decided
> against extending the deal.
> Discovery, like many other cycling
> teams, has been affected by the doping
> scandals that have damaged the sport's
> reputation in recent years. Although no
> team member has ever been sanctioned for
> doping while on the squad, the team had
> to deal with the issue.
> ------
> Doping has killed cycling, now Levi can
> get a real job. Once all of the
> sponsorship money runs away, then what?
> Even Lance's stock has dropped, have
> you noticed? The only thing that keeps
> Lance a float is the cancer fight stuff
> he does. Greg predicted this, why
> wasn't anyone listening?

Cycling is bigger than ever.

On Aug 10, 12:04 pm, Bret <[email protected]> wrote:

> Possibly a ploy to reinvent themselves as a smaller team with lower
> budget, fewer expectations and less baggage.

i.e., swap places with Slipstream

DR

On Aug 10, 11:30?am, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> How does one interpret this?:

> >> "This was a difficult decision, not made any easier by our recent Tour de
> >> France success," general manager Bill Stapleton said in a statement. "We
> >> were in talks with a number of companies about the opportunity and were
> >> confident a new sponsor was imminent. We have chosen, however, to end
> >> those discussions."

> >> 1. We could have gotten a sponsor, but we're no longer interested, as
> >> cycling just has too much PR downside.
> >> 2. We were confident we'd get a sponsor, but we're not going to get a
> >> sponsor.

> >> Dan

> > Given that everything is in past tense, I don't see much confusion. They
> > wanted a sponsor, they thought they were close, but they were essentially
> > strung along and the time by which the needed to have something set in
> > concrete is past.

> > And with what the stock market's been doing lately, their luck wasn't likely
> > to change if they were to hold out longer (which they didn't know would be
> > the case when this decision was made).

> Interesting quote:http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/13071.0.html
>
> Tailwind spokesman PJ Rabice told VeloNews Friday morning that the decision was not based on "a failure to find a new sponsor."
>
> Rabice declined to elaborate, but promised additional information later in the day.- Hide quoted text -

BS...if they could find a sponsor they would take it.....it can only
be a failure to find a sponsor.....

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> BS...if they could find a sponsor they would take it.....it can only
> be a failure to find a sponsor.....

My guess is that it was a failure to find a sponsor with deep enough
pockets.

On Aug 10, 12:56 am, DirtRoadie <[email protected]> wrote:
> They were about out of riders anyhow.

I suspect not many rich sponsors wanted to lend their name to a team
that had a good probability of turning up in the next doping scandal.

> I suspect not many rich sponsors

Liquidity in hedge funds? no boom no racing. I've watched that, it
happens. UGLY!
anyway, some racing teams go on forever, Williams, Tyrell, McLaren,
Lotus, Gilmore Heating and Cooling and some disapppear.

the GREAT MORAL DILEMMA drugs pose for cycle racing are counterpoint
to a reported VAST INCREASE in spectator interest until Prudhomme ASO
decided...

"datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> I suspect not many rich sponsors

> Liquidity in hedge funds? no boom no racing. I've watched that, it
> happens. UGLY!
> anyway, some racing teams go on forever, Williams, Tyrell, McLaren,
> Lotus, Gilmore Heating and Cooling and some disapppear.

Gilmore Heating and Cooling doesn't do so well in the bulldozer category.