UK and Europe · Public discussion

Distinctly colder in the mornings.

Started by spindrift · · Last activity · 21 posts · 799 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
4 October 2006
Last activity
6 October 2006
Original author
spindrift
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
799
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    I can see my breath when I set out and it takes a couple of miles
    before I start sweating and the sun has warmed the air a bit.

    Getting autumnal sharpish, leaf fall has started although a chap on
    London Bridge was cycling in shorts this morning but he's probably from
    Yorkshire or something.

  2. spindrift said the following on 04/10/2006 14:06:

    Quoted message said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    Nope, but I wish I had my gloves on this morning. I even felt the need
    to put my lights on for the first time this year!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  3. Paul Boyd said:

    spindrift said the following on 04/10/2006 14:06:

    Quoted message said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    Nope, but I wish I had my gloves on this morning. I even felt the need
    to put my lights on for the first time this year!

    Definitely have to go on The Great Annual Glove Hunt soon.

    Quite autumnal today - heavy dew in the park and a season of mists and
    mellow fruitfulness. time to plan some trips with the big camera[1] for
    some autumn landscape.

    ...d

    [1] OK, not really big, but 5x4"

  4. Out before 6:30 this morning, for my 36mile route. Yesterday I had cold-ish
    toes, so *light* shoe covers were on today to keep the chill off. Longs were
    on as I've started to feel the chill in the knees... morino wool tshirt
    under a medium jersey and I was just right. Still using mitts... bit of a
    chill in fingers for first couple of minutes but ok after.

    Temperature of water in bidon was a very refreshing cool after the first 30
    minutes.

    Wasps have started to come indoors.... so it must be on the turn

    "spindrift" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    I can see my breath when I set out and it takes a couple of miles
    before I start sweating and the sun has warmed the air a bit.

    Getting autumnal sharpish, leaf fall has started although a chap on
    London Bridge was cycling in shorts this morning but he's probably from
    Yorkshire or something.

  5. spindrift said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    I can see my breath when I set out and it takes a couple of miles
    before I start sweating and the sun has warmed the air a bit.

    Getting autumnal sharpish, leaf fall has started although a chap on
    London Bridge was cycling in shorts this morning but he's probably from
    Yorkshire or something.

    Also in the running for the "No [censored] Sherlock" awards is my employer
    [1] which has warned everybody via team briefing that we can expect
    poor weather in the winter and to make sure we take our waterproofs
    with us when we go out on delivery.

    [1] I remain of the opinion that if ever Royal Mail invite me to a
    [censored]-up in a brewery I shall take my own beer and glass.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  6. Phil Cook said the following on 04/10/2006 15:58:

    Quoted message said:

    Also in the running for the "No [censored] Sherlock" awards is my employer
    [1] which has warned everybody via team briefing that we can expect
    poor weather in the winter and to make sure we take our waterproofs
    with us when we go out on delivery.

    Yeah, but winter *still* catches everyone out every year :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  7. "spindrift" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    Today at 0600 I decided that this was the last day of the year in shorts, so
    the tights are out and ready for the long winter ahead. I usually change
    over in mid October, so it's about right.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  8. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "spindrift" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    Today at 0600 I decided that this was the last day of the year in shorts,
    so the tights are out and ready for the long winter ahead. I usually
    change over in mid October, so it's about right.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net


    I intend to remain in shorts until the end of October ( it is called 1 April
    to 30 Nov --with a bit of luck -- or hopefully later. {Last year I survived
    until Halloween ( a memorable occasion) -- when travelling by my little
    Suzuki Swift a huge Mobile home drove through me while I was stationary and
    wrote it off.}.

    The hardest thing is getting going on the early morning. It was a bit cool
    this am but fine & fresh and 5 mins on the road made a super day. A bit
    windy on my afternoon run

    So who's so nesh!

    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

  9. spindrift said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    Getting autumnal sharpish, leaf fall has started although a chap on
    London Bridge was cycling in shorts this morning but he's probably from
    Yorkshire or something.

    I'm still in shorts here in Hampshire, but felt some gloves could have
    been useful this evening.

    ....and isn' it getting dark early :-(

    John B

  10. and old cycling friend of mine who was tragically killed by a car while
    cycling some years ago, used to say..

    "you know the winter's coming when.

    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    ,
    the water goes cold in the taps."

  11. "Pinky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I intend to remain in shorts until the end of October ( it is called 1
    April to 30 Nov --with a bit of luck -- or hopefully later. {Last year I
    survived until Halloween ( a memorable occasion) -- when travelling by my
    little Suzuki Swift a huge Mobile home drove through me while I was
    stationary and wrote it off.}.

    The hardest thing is getting going on the early morning. It was a bit cool
    this am but fine & fresh and 5 mins on the road made a super day. A bit
    windy on my afternoon run

    So who's so nesh!

    I discovered having cold knees makes them hurt - it was September about 10
    years ago, and my commute was getting a bit creaky. Start wearing legs, and
    the problems went away. Since then, I've always started wearing legs early.

    cheers,
    clive

  12. "John B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    spindrift said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    Getting autumnal sharpish, leaf fall has started although a chap on
    London Bridge was cycling in shorts this morning but he's probably from
    Yorkshire or something.

    I'm still in shorts here in Hampshire, but felt some gloves could have
    been useful this evening.

    ...and isn' it getting dark early :-(

    John B

    Yes I have noticed the nights drawing in rapidly. If I leave work late I now
    arrive at Horsham in the dark. It won't be long before I'll have to start
    wearing my helmet to keep the cold wind off my head.

    Only another 3 1/2 weeks before the clocks go back then I will be doing the
    whole commute home in the dark. Should be an interesting experience.

  13. "spindrift" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling
    in the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter
    drawers on?

    I can see my breath when I set out and it takes a couple of miles
    before I start sweating and the sun has warmed the air a bit.

    Getting autumnal sharpish, leaf fall has started although a chap on
    London Bridge was cycling in shorts this morning but he's probably from
    Yorkshire or something.


    Have been out of the office, surveying in S. Yorkshire this week and have
    noticed several flocks of birds, particularly geese heading southwards.
    Winter's certainly on the way.

    AT

  14. spindrift said:

    Still cycling in a T shirt and long sleeved top, but there's a feeling in
    the air at 7am in London that winter draws on. Got your winter drawers on?

    Lovely sunshine on the Cambs/Suffolk border at 08:30 -- but 12C, so I was
    in longs. Back down to 13C by 18:30 setting off for home, so the shorts
    I'd taken with me stayed in the rack-bag :-( Lovely sunset though.

    13C (+-1C) is my transition point between shorts & longs.

    Mike

  15. Mike Causer said:

    13C (+-1C) is my transition point between shorts & longs.

    20-21C is mine 🙂

    More seriously, what is it with people who dress by the calendar? If
    it's too cold for shorts, then wear longs. Is it so hard? If it gets
    warm again, swap back. What price knees?

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  16. In article <[email hidden]>

    Arthur Clune said:
    Mike Causer said:

    13C (+-1C) is my transition point between shorts & longs.

    20-21C is mine 🙂

    More seriously, what is it with people who dress by the calendar? If
    it's too cold for shorts, then wear longs. Is it so hard? If it gets
    warm again, swap back. What price knees?


    As the owner of knees that were a bit cranky even before they got
    smashed up, I used to wear longs by default, and only break out the
    shorts if it was hot and sunny. I've also heard that wearing shorts in
    the cold can encourage your legs to lay down a layer of fat, but I'm not
    so sure about that.

  17. Rob Morley said:

    As the owner of knees that were a bit cranky even before they got
    smashed up, I used to wear longs by default, and only break out the
    shorts if it was hot and sunny. I've also heard that wearing shorts in
    the cold can encourage your legs to lay down a layer of fat, but I'm not
    so sure about that.

    It's true, it's true! In my case it caused a layer of fat over my
    entire body!!

    --
    Brian G

  18. In article <[email hidden]>

    Brian G said:
    Rob Morley said:

    As the owner of knees that were a bit cranky even before they got
    smashed up, I used to wear longs by default, and only break out the
    shorts if it was hot and sunny. I've also heard that wearing shorts in
    the cold can encourage your legs to lay down a layer of fat, but I'm not
    so sure about that.

    It's true, it's true! In my case it caused a layer of fat over my
    entire body!!


    IKWYM - used to be I'd put on a few pounds in the winter and lose them
    in the summer, now I put them on in the winter but don't lose them again
    later.

  19. Arthur Clune said:
    Mike Causer said:

    13C (+-1C) is my transition point between shorts & longs.

    20-21C is mine 🙂

    More seriously, what is it with people who dress by the calendar? If
    it's too cold for shorts, then wear longs. Is it so hard? If it gets
    warm again, swap back. What price knees?

    At 20-21C I'm debating whether or not to go out as it will be too hot!
    Shorts/longs conversion - probably at about 8-10C.

    Cycle gear->mountaineering gear conversion at around -5C.

    Give up and stay indoors at -20.

    I like it cold ;-)

    ...d

  20. In article <1160139811.753345.43300
    @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:


    Arthur Clune said:
    Mike Causer said:

    13C (+-1C) is my transition point between shorts & longs.

    20-21C is mine 🙂

    More seriously, what is it with people who dress by the calendar? If
    it's too cold for shorts, then wear longs. Is it so hard? If it gets
    warm again, swap back. What price knees?

    At 20-21C I'm debating whether or not to go out as it will be too hot!
    Shorts/longs conversion - probably at about 8-10C.

    Cycle gear->mountaineering gear conversion at around -5C.

    Give up and stay indoors at -20.

    I like it cold ;-)

    ..d


    Me too. I can't wait for the snow to come.
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.