DIY hub replacement

Chris Smith

Guest
I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(

Do I:

a) Replace them myself (Shimano C-201 hub, not sure if there's any
user-replaceable parts)
b) Replace the hub
c) If (b) is wheel rebuilding a DIY job?
d) If Yes to (c), do I need any special equipment?
e) Buy a new wheel ?

Cheers :)

Chris

Chris Smith said the following on 05/04/2006 09:00:

> I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(
>
> Do I:
>
> a) Replace them myself (Shimano C-201 hub, not sure if there's any
> user-replaceable parts)
> b) Replace the hub
> c) If (b) is wheel rebuilding a DIY job?
> d) If Yes to (c), do I need any special equipment?
> e) Buy a new wheel ?

I think that if you're asking the questions, then e) may be your best
option! If the hub bearings are "crunchy", then I think the hub is past it.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Chris Smith came up with the following;:
> I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(
>
> Do I:
>
> a) Replace them myself (Shimano C-201 hub, not sure if there's any
> user-replaceable parts)
> b) Replace the hub
> c) If (b) is wheel rebuilding a DIY job?
> d) If Yes to (c), do I need any special equipment?

Given the questions you ask, I'd suggest the next one ... ;)

> e) Buy a new wheel ?

I dunno the C-201 hubs personally, and frankly cba to check, but most balls
and/or bearing sets are replaceable parts when worn. However, your
description of 'crunchy' suggests that the races and therefore the hub need
replacing, not just the balls.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:00:26 +0100, Chris Smith <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(
>
>Do I:
>
>a) Replace them myself (Shimano C-201 hub, not sure if there's any
>user-replaceable parts)

Should be able to replace cones and ball bearings. See
<http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html>

>b) Replace the hub
>c) If (b) is wheel rebuilding a DIY job?

Many people who post here have this skill. I don't.

>d) If Yes to (c), do I need any special equipment?

You can wing it with just a spoke key and use your bike frame as a
rudimentary truing stand.

>e) Buy a new wheel ?

(f) Get LBS to replace hub for you. Might be more expensive than (e),
depending on quality of old wheel, new wheel and hub.

Tim

Chris Smith wrote:
> I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(
>
> Do I:
>
> a) Replace them myself (Shimano C-201 hub, not sure if there's any
> user-replaceable parts)

I'm having trouble finding details of that model but I suspect it's of a
type known as Bog Standard. If so you'll be able to replace everything,
if necessary (probably not), in it except maybe the cups.

Firstly you could just take it apart, clean and grease. Get a pair of
cone spaners from Mike Dyason's or bike shop, plus two ordinary spanners
to fit the locknuts (probably 17mm), general purpose waterproof grease,
read both Park Tools' and Sheldon Brown's* instructions and have a go!

Google for links.
* search for "cone adjustment" on www.sheldonbrown.com

> b) Replace the hub

If nec. /Might/ need to replace spokes as well in that case.

> c) If (b) is wheel rebuilding a DIY job?

Yes.

> d) If Yes to (c), do I need any special equipment?

Spoke key. The one memorably called "Spokey" from Wiggle is good.

> e) Buy a new wheel ?

Could be a sensible option if the hub is knackered and the rim isn't much
good either.

~PB

> I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(

No idea about your particular hub, but when the hub on my old bike went
crunchy I took the bearings out and found that several had chunks missing
and there were bits of metal in the grease. Cleaned it all up and had a
feel around the cones, couldn't feel any nastyness so I put back the
roundest balls and lots of grease. The bearing was a few balls short of a
race but I had to get to the shop to buy some spares, and it ran beautifully
smooth. The guys in the shop reckoned the cones would be knackered but I
just bought a new set of balls for a few quid and replaced the lot when I
got around to it. Ran fine thereafter.

Paul Boyd wrote:
> If the hub bearings are "crunchy", then I think the hub is past
> it.

I've had crunchy bearings in the past that needed nothing more than
grease in the bearings (it had washed out in a torrential downpour with
the bike on its side in a campsite. The crunching was just the friction
of ball bearings rubbing on each other. It felt like and I was
convinced it was a broken ball in the bearing.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

in message <[email protected]>, Chris Smith
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(
>
> Do I:
>
> a) Replace them myself (Shimano C-201 hub, not sure if there's any
> user-replaceable parts)

Don't know that hub, but almost all hubs have either cup-and-cone
bearings, which can be easily serviced, or cartridge bearings, which can
be replaced.

> b) Replace the hub

Very much surprised if you need to do this.

> c) If (b) is wheel rebuilding a DIY job?

Yes ish. It isn't hard, and the very first wheels I built were good ones.
But - especially the first time you do it - it takes time and patience.
And replacing the hub is a lot harder than replacing the rim.

> d) If Yes to (c), do I need any special equipment?

Spoke keys. A trueing stand helps but you can manage without.

> e) Buy a new wheel ?

You don't need to. Even a cheap wheel will cost about the same as having
a shop technician service your bearings, and be a lot more expensive
than servicing your own bearings. On the other hand if what you have is
a cheap wheel you won't save a lot.

;; First they came for the asylum seekers,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not an asylum seeker.
;; Then they came for the gypsies,
;; and I did not speak out because I was not a gypsy...
;; Pastor Martin Niemöller, translated by Michael Howard.

Chris Smith wrote:

> I have crunchy rear hub bearings :(
>
> Do I:
>
> a) Replace them myself (Shimano C-201 hub, not sure if there's any
> user-replaceable parts)
> b) Replace the hub
> c) If (b) is wheel rebuilding a DIY job?
> d) If Yes to (c), do I need any special equipment?
> e) Buy a new wheel ?

a) Try new ball bearings and grease first; the cones and cups may not be
too far gone.

b) The only option if the cups (part of the hub, if Shimano) are badly
pitted.

c) Not as a one-off. You have to do a few to get good at it. Bike
shops don't charge much to build a wheel, but not all of them are any
good at it either :-(

d) The minimum is a spoke key. Ideally you need a truing stand and a
dishing stick, which are about £50-60.

e) may be a cost-effective option if (a) doesn't work.