do bmx seat clamps work on unicycles

robdizzle

Guest
my seat clamp broke and i just need a new one
so will a bmx one work?
thanks

--
robdizzle
http://www.usenet.com

if they're the same diameter as yours

--
SAVAGE

><>I ride for Christ, do you?<><

http://www.usenet.com

try to fit it on the post, if it don't go on it's 2 small

--
SAVAGE

><>I ride for Christ, do you?<><

http://www.usenet.com

I think seat post clamps should be the same as on bicycles. The problem
is, they come in a variety of sizes. Be sure you have the right size.

If you do not have something to acurately measure the outside diameter
of the seat post tube in milimeters then it might be a good idea to
take your unicycle to a bicycle shop to see if they can help. They will
likely charge you a premium price for a seat post clamp. I know that
from experience. :(

Another option, try contacting unicycle.com. Tell them what type of
unicycle you have and maybe they can help you.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
http://www.usenet.com

Wheel Rider wrote:
> They will likely charge you a premium price for a seat post clamp. I
> know that from experience. :(

what, just because its a uni?

--
thejdw

http://www.usenet.com

thejdw wrote:
> what, just because its a uni?

No, just because it is a bike shop and they charge high prices.

I paid about $20 US for a seat post clamp about a year ago. That is a
lot of money for a chunk of metal but the guy spent a long time digging
through a lot of inventory looking for my size and I needed the clamp
so I bought it. I paid for the clamp and good service.

--

robdizzle wrote:
> where do i find my diameter?

On the tape / ruler you use to measure your seatpost.

There are a number of standard sizes, look 'em up in a catalog or
something. Unless you have a custom frame, your post should be one of
those sizes.

I've got Odyssey clamps (a BMX parts mfr.) on two of my unis.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com

Just remember that bicyclists measure the outer diameter of the frame,
rather than the diameter of the seatpost as unicyclists tend to (for
simplicity's sake). so a clamp for a uni with a 22.2mm seatpost has an
inner diameter larger than 22.2mm (i'm pretty sure its 25.4mm). be
aware of this difference in how clamps are measured if you buy from a
non-unicycle source.

imo the best way is to take your unicycle to a good bike shop and have
them measure your frame's od with vernier calipers if you're at all
unsure of its diameter.

--
TonyMelton

Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day.
http://www.usenet.com

TonyMelton wrote:
> Just remember that bicyclists measure the outer diameter of the frame,
> rather than the diameter of the seatpost as unicyclists tend to (for
> simplicity's sake). so a clamp for a uni with a 22.2mm seatpost has an
> inner diameter larger than 22.2mm (i'm pretty sure its 25.4mm). be
> aware of this difference in how clamps are measured if you buy from a
> non-unicycle source.
>
> imo the best way is to take your unicycle to a good bike shop and have
> them measure your frame's od with vernier calipers if you're at all
> unsure of its diameter.

I suspect most bikers are like unicyclists--they tend to know their
seatpost size (like 22.2 or 25.4 or 27.2) but don't have a clue about
the outer diameter of their seat tube. I've owned probably 10 decent
bikes in my life, and couldn't tell you the OD of any of them, but I
know the seatpost size of each.

To measure the size you need, borrow some calipers from somebody and
measure it, as TonyMelton suggests, then look online for a clamp. Not
all work the same, though, so I suggest not going for the cheapest
solution. If you want a quick release, Salsa Fliplock and Hope Seat
Clamp have gotten the thumbs up from many muni riders. If you want a
bolt-type, get a BMX one with double bolts. A bad clamp makes your seat
spin around easily, and is generally far more trouble than any little
savings would offset.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
http://www.usenet.com

pkittle wrote:
> I suspect most bikers are like unicyclists--they tend to know their
> seatpost size (like 22.2 or 25.4 or 27.2) but don't have a clue about
> the outer diameter of their seat tube. I've owned probably 10 decent
> bikes in my life, and couldn't tell you the OD of any of them, but I
> know the seatpost size of each.
>
> To measure the size you need, borrow some calipers from somebody and
> measure it, as TonyMelton suggests, then look online for a clamp. Not
> all work the same, though, so I suggest not going for the cheapest
> solution. If you want a quick release, Salsa Fliplock and Hope Seat
> Clamp have gotten the thumbs up from many muni riders. If you want a
> bolt-type, get a BMX one with double bolts. A bad clamp makes your seat
> spin around easily, and is generally far more trouble than any little
> savings would offset.

haha
if you want a bolt i suggest a primo viking or an old school mongoose
triple bolt.

salsa makes some hardcore single bolt clamps (if they withhold the
force of a 5thflip...)

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

'my video!' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58465)
http://www.usenet.com

Check out your local bike shop. They can probably help you. Though most
bike applications use larger diameter pots and therefore clamps than
unicycles.

--
madmattunipro

www.bedfordunicycles.ca