Road Cycling · Public discussion

Do converters exist for Shrader valves / Presta pumps?

Started by Salim al-Hukmatyr · · Last activity · 13 posts · 1,173 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
21 November 2004
Last activity
4 December 2004
Original author
Salim al-Hukmatyr
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,173
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Have been given a loaner bike (my beloved Trek 520 was stolen).

    I have a Presta pump. The loaner has Shrader valves.

    Do bike stores sell something that will enable me to inflate those
    tires with the Presta pump? Thanks.

  2. [email hidden] (Salim al-Hukmatyr) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Do bike stores sell something that will enable me to inflate those
    tires with the Presta pump? Thanks.

    Converters exist and some shops sell them. They aren't as popular as
    converters the other way, though.

  3. "Salim al-Hukmatyr" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have been given a loaner bike (my beloved Trek 520 was stolen).

    I have a Presta pump. The loaner has Shrader valves.

    Do bike stores sell something that will enable me to inflate those
    tires with the Presta pump? Thanks.

    Most pumps go both ways.

    Pete

  4. Ken said:

    [email hidden] (Salim al-Hukmatyr) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Do bike stores sell something that will enable me to inflate those tires
    with the Presta pump? Thanks.

    Converters exist and some shops sell them. They aren't as popular as
    converters the other way, though.

    I'd be interested in seeing one, as that's a new concept to me. :-O The
    other kind are made of brass and are ubiquitous on bike shop counters.

    I'm assuming you have a traditional Silca or similar frame pump?

    Often with the newer pumps you can unscrew the ring on the head and
    reverse the rubber gasket to fit either schraeder or presta.

    You could surprise your buddy by dropping a ten-spot and replacing his
    tubes with presta as well. :P

    I'd just make sure to carry a couple quarters and get flats close to
    filling stations. 😄

  5. maxo <[email hidden]> wrote in news:pan.2004.11.22.04.34.59.727360
    @NOSPAMhome.se:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Converters exist and some shops sell them. They aren't as popular as
    converters the other way, though.

    I'd be interested in seeing one, as that's a new concept to me.

    See http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?Affiliate=1&PageID=30&SKU=PU5667
    Most bike shops sell (or can get) Silca small parts.

  6. switched the plastic thingy and the rubber gasket around and was able
    to inflate my loaner tires, but the fit was poor. i had to hold the
    pump to the tube with one hand while pumping with the other hand. I
    think the Shrader fit was less than ideal.

    "Pete" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    " >
    Most pumps go both ways.

    Pete

  7. maxo said:

    Often with the newer pumps you can unscrew the ring on the head and
    reverse the rubber gasket to fit either schraeder or presta.

    Newer?

    I've got a 20-year-old Zefal pump that'll do that.

    Quoted message said:

    You could surprise your buddy by dropping a ten-spot and replacing his
    tubes with presta as well. :P

    Ten? $5 will get you two nice tubes.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd just make sure to carry a couple quarters and get flats close to
    filling stations. 😄

    Only time I've ever seen a bike tire explode during inflation was...

    at a filling station.

    --Blair
    "Those CO2 things work pretty good, though."

  8. : >I'd just make sure to carry a couple quarters and get flats close to
    : >filling stations. 😄
    :
    : Only time I've ever seen a bike tire explode during inflation was...
    :
    : at a filling station.
    :
    : --Blair

    A friend of mine's husband was filling up with air at a gas station and the
    air pump machine exploded. He was injured, but not too badly. Sure was a
    shock, though.

    Pat in TX

  9. Pat said:

    A friend of mine's husband was filling up with air at a gas station
    and the air pump machine exploded. He was injured, but not too
    badly. Sure was a shock, though.

    10-1 he had a presta tube and an adapter. Only problem was he neglected to
    release the valve plunger, so the machine was pumping air with no where for
    it to go.

    Ka-boom.
    --
    BS (no, really)

  10. Blair P. Houghton said:

    Newer?

    I've got a 20-year-old Zefal pump that'll do that.

    Thats a spanky new pump in my world. :P

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You could surprise your buddy by dropping a ten-spot and replacing his
    tubes with presta as well. :P

    Ten? $5 will get you two nice tubes.

    Five/per is the going rate round here, unless you order online. Fair
    enough.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I'd just make sure to carry a couple quarters and get flats close to
    filling stations. 😄

    Only time I've ever seen a bike tire explode during inflation was...

    at a filling station.

    Never had a problem with it, if it's the kind of inflator with the built
    in gauge. It's a technique thing, small bursts will do you. Compressor
    pressures do differ, so I don't doubt that one could get in trouble, 😄 I just
    cruise by the local station on one of the utility 3 speeds when I need to
    fill a patched tube from scratch, as I keep forgetting to buy a new floor
    pump and a mini pump just won't do. It's a biannual event that I look
    forward to. :P

    FWIW, I've never seen a tire explode from a compressor, but I've seen many
    blown off of the rim using a floor pump--more a matter of an overzealous
    pumper forgetting to seat the bead and thinking that
    140psi=superduperfaster.

  11. maxo said:
    Blair P. Houghton said:

    Newer?

    I've got a 20-year-old Zefal pump that'll do that.

    Thats a spanky new pump in my world. :P

    god, how do you keep 'em that long? i just just had my zefal hpx lifted ..
    took me 3 days or so to discover it missing (fortunately *NOT* from a flat,
    i happened to look down and notice it gone). the previous one when was
    broken in a freak accident while touring (the whole 60lb bike fell on it)
    just last summer. it was a just a baby at 2.5 years old.

    i still can't believe someone in boise stole my damn pump.

    it had been a special order from the lbs.

    i have no doubt that it'll give the thief first rate service until the end
    of their days, however.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  12. David Reuteler said:

    god, how do you keep 'em that long?

    LOL, I don't! I just meant that the 20 y/o Zefal hpx was and still is
    fairly "modern" compared to the older style frame pumps that took
    dedicated fancy heads and whatnot. I still think hpx's are the nicest
    frame pump I've used though mine got stolen in '90 or so... I buy the
    little topeaks on sale since pumps tend to get "lifted" :P

    Quoted message said:


    i still can't believe someone in boise stole my damn pump.

    Know the feeling--I spent the better part of a weekend wheeling around
    Chicago on my 73 rod brake Tourist trying to find a pump to fit the pegs
    since they kept snagging my pants.

    So I find one, albeit chrome plastic--but it looks fetching from a few
    feet away, go home to oil my clicky Sturmey Archer, step inside for
    literally ten seconds to grab the phone--and some punk took it! Not the
    bike, I think it frightened them LOL, but they took the pump AND my oil
    can.

    Crummy, but the thought of some crackhead going, "hey man gimme a dollah
    for this can a oil" is pretty funny.

    😄

  13. [quote="Salim al-Hukmatyr"]Have been given a loaner bike (my beloved Trek 520 was stolen).

    "I have a Presta pump. The loaner has Shrader valves.

    Do bike stores sell something that will enable me to inflate those
    tires with the Presta pump? Thanks."

    What I did was buy an inexpensive replacement hose/valve fitting for a schrader floorpump , cut a presta valve out of an old tube and hose-clamped it, bottom end in first into the open end of the spare hose. To use just attach the schraeder end to the valve, attach yer presta pump to the exposed presta valve at the other end of the hose and away you go.

    cheers, CT

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.