Do cyclists' dogs chase cyclists?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gooserider, May 6, 2006.

  1. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
    dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    :: I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
    :: MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other
    :: cyclists?

    I've found that roaming dogs don't chase if they are not in a group. That's
    not an answer to your interesting question, but i thought it might be
    tangentially related. :)

  3. Ken C. M.

    Ken C. M. Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > Gooserider wrote:
    > :: I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
    > :: MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other
    > :: cyclists?
    >
    > I've found that roaming dogs don't chase if they are not in a group. That's
    > not an answer to your interesting question, but i thought it might be
    > tangentially related. :)

    I have never had a roaming dog give chase. Mostly I think they might be
    strays and probably too hungry to go after a bike. Mostly what I get
    chased by is the little toy breeds. I like the sheriff that lives two
    streets over with his k-9 partner, I often see them out playing in the
    front yard and the dog never even looks in my direction, must be part of
    the training they receive.

    Ken
    --
    New cycling jersey: $49
    new cycling shorts: $39

  4. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
    >dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

    I have to chain my bike up in the yard because it likes to chase dogs.

  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Gooserider wrote:

    > I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
    > dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

    Yes!
    I got bitten by one about 5 months ago but I don't think the guy was a
    serious cyclist, just an old guy too lazy to walk to his mailbox.
    Probably not a good sample, just what happened to me.
    Bill Baka

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Bill wrote:
    :: Gooserider wrote:
    ::
    ::: I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
    ::: MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to
    ::: other cyclists?
    ::
    :: Yes!
    :: I got bitten by one about 5 months ago but I don't think the guy was
    :: a serious cyclist, just an old guy too lazy to walk to his mailbox.
    :: Probably not a good sample, just what happened to me.

    Yeah, I think so. The dog saw you and said, "Hey, that's Bill Baka. Gotta
    take a chunk outta him!"

    :)

  7. n5hsr

    n5hsr Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
    >dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

    Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our dogs
    hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the spokes?

    Charles of Schaumburg

  8. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    n5hsr wrote:
    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially
    >> MTB'ers. Do dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other
    >> cyclists?

    > Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our
    > dogs hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the
    > spokes?

    Luckily, they're so old all they can do is /gum/ those rusty rims.

    Literal Bill

  9. Hadron Quark

    Hadron Quark Guest

    "n5hsr" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
    >>dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?
    >>

    > Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our dogs
    > hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the spokes?
    >
    > Charles of Schaumburg

    More the fact that you simply dont control or train them properly.

    The town I live in in Germany has thousands of cyclists and dogs and I
    have never seen a dog chase a bike : ever.

  10. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 20:01:10 GMT, "Gooserider"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
    >dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?

    Around here, mostly they don't...but the sample space is small, and I
    don't think my results are significant.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  11. Sorni says...

    > Luckily, they're so old all they can do is /gum/ those rusty rims.
    >
    > Literal Bill

    That's 350 to you and me...

  12. n5hsr

    n5hsr Guest

    "Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "n5hsr" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>I know there are people who ride with their dogs, especially MTB'ers. Do
    >>>dogs who ride with their owners show aggression to other cyclists?
    >>>

    >> Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our
    >> dogs
    >> hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the spokes?
    >>
    >> Charles of Schaumburg
    >>

    > More the fact that you simply dont control or train them properly.
    >
    > The town I live in in Germany has thousands of cyclists and dogs and I
    > have never seen a dog chase a bike : ever.

    Not sure, but it seems like they just hate them on sight.... I think we'd
    have to be very cruel to them to get them to stop. . . . We've had 8
    different dogs since 1956 and they all react the same way as if out of
    instinct. We just keep the bikes in the garage and the dog in the yard.

    Charles of Schaumburg.

  13. Hadron Quark

    Hadron Quark Guest

    "n5hsr" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "n5hsr" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>>
    >>> Yes. We've had dogs from 1956 and bicycles since 1961 and all of our
    >>> dogs
    >>> hate bicycle wheels for some reason. Must be the sound of the spokes?
    >>>
    >>> Charles of Schaumburg
    >>>

    >> More the fact that you simply dont control or train them properly.
    >>
    >> The town I live in in Germany has thousands of cyclists and dogs and I
    >> have never seen a dog chase a bike : ever.

    > Not sure, but it seems like they just hate them on sight.... I think we'd
    > have to be very cruel to them to get them to stop. . . . We've had 8

    No. Just keep them on a lead and shout at them if they make a move to a bike.

    > different dogs since 1956 and they all react the same way as if out of
    > instinct. We just keep the bikes in the garage and the dog in the
    > yard.

    Must be a nice cycle trip in the garage

    > Charles of Schaumburg.

    Dogs learn from each other : train them one at a time. There really is
    no excuse not to.

    --

  14. In article <[email protected]>, Hadron Quark
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > More the fact that you simply dont control or train them properly.
    >
    > The town I live in in Germany has thousands of cyclists and dogs and I
    > have never seen a dog chase a bike : ever.

    Wot 'e said. Dogs in the UK are fond of barking defiance at passing
    cyclists, but because they can't actually get at the cyclist - due to
    being tied up or fenced in - nothing actually happens. The only time
    I've been chased by an unrestrained hound was at around 3 am last Sunday
    - I didn't even see the animal, just heard a basso profundo V8 growl
    from behind. It sounded big and hungry, and the ensuing sprint would
    have put Super Mario to shame...

    You can't have ham!

  15. n5hsr

    n5hsr Guest

    "Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "n5hsr" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> "Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> More the fact that you simply dont control or train them properly.
    >>>
    >>> The town I live in in Germany has thousands of cyclists and dogs and I
    >>> have never seen a dog chase a bike : ever.

    >> Not sure, but it seems like they just hate them on sight.... I think we'd
    >> have to be very cruel to them to get them to stop. . . . We've had 8

    > No. Just keep them on a lead and shout at them if they make a move to a
    > bike.
    >
    >> different dogs since 1956 and they all react the same way as if out of
    >> instinct. We just keep the bikes in the garage and the dog in the
    >> yard.

    > Must be a nice cycle trip in the garage
    >

    >> Charles of Schaumburg.
    >>

    > Dogs learn from each other : train them one at a time. There really is
    > no excuse not to.
    >

    > --

    Nah, we just cycle out into the alley and down the street. If the dogs are
    in the back yard they stand and bark until they lose sight of us. My
    sister's had the same back yard since 1992, and 4 different dogs. They
    don't actually bite but they do bark at all bicycles. We just don't ever
    take the bicycles into the back yard. That's why there is a fence. We
    once took our bicyles into the back yard to wash them off. The one dog
    barked at them even while they were sitting still, not sure why.

    Charles of Schaumburg

  16. Hadron Quark

    Hadron Quark Guest

    Dave Larrington <[email protected]> writes:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Hadron Quark
    > ([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    >> More the fact that you simply dont control or train them properly.
    >>
    >> The town I live in in Germany has thousands of cyclists and dogs and I
    >> have never seen a dog chase a bike : ever.

    > Wot 'e said. Dogs in the UK are fond of barking defiance at passing
    > cyclists, but because they can't actually get at the cyclist - due to
    > being tied up or fenced in - nothing actually happens. The only time

    Dogs bark at cyclists because they are not trained otherwise. English
    dogs would be as well behaved as German dogs if they were trained to the
    same extent to be used to and tolerant of bikes, cyclists and bike
    paths.

    The bloody dogs over here even sit and wait for the green man ffs!!

    > I've been chased by an unrestrained hound was at around 3 am last Sunday
    > - I didn't even see the animal, just heard a basso profundo V8 growl
    > from behind. It sounded big and hungry, and the ensuing sprint would
    > have put Super Mario to shame...

    hehe. Go cycling in Ireland : those bastards are trained to hide in the
    hedge and leap out at you at the last minute. Without a doubt, an angry
    collie on a farm is a formidable adversary.