Do I need an aerobar?

>From: Bob Denton

>I am a 55 year old (snip)

(unsnip) I find them [aerobars] more comfortable than riding the drops
>or levers. My weight gets spread between >my arms, hand and butt.

Reported by ride companions, filed for future reference/use: this weight-spreading can help those of
us who no longer have young lower backs. Recumbent preventative, if you will.

Related frame of reference for caution in use (age-degraded loss of bounce). --Tom Paterson,
recently recruited by the AARP

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:04:56 +0000, CuCycln wrote:

> Like panhandling?

At the LBS for parts....

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:27:25 +0000, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>
> It's only a term I use. What do you call them / yourself? I don't see why it's funny - or
> pathetic. You're not an amateur, since you're getting paid for your performance. (See AAU regs.)
> You're not pro, since you can't make enough to live on and don't ride full time (I assume). As for
> picking up women, frankly, I can't see how your pro/amateur status would matter - unless you've
> racked some other "professional" credits....
>
> Do you find the word "orange" funny? Confused....
>
> -Dondo

Semi-pro is quite a common term in Europe. That 's the term my brother used when racing in Germany,
Austria and Italy for 5 or 6 years. Wasn't it also used for football leagues in the states where the
players weren't quite pro-level?? Sort of a minor-league situation?? In Europe I believe you're
referred to as a semi-pro if you have a part-time job but have had to forego amateur status because
you have won prize money. I also don't understand the pathetic reference, unless it's in regard to
the pathetic level of prize-money available for U.S. bicycle events.

Cheers,

Scott..

Tom Patterson wrote:

"Reported by ride companions, filed for future reference/use: this weight-spreading can help those
of us who no longer have young lower backs. Recumbent preventative, if you will. "

OOOOHHHH boy! you may have really opened a can of worms with that remark!! ROTFL!!

Bob Newman wrote:
> Thanks for your help guys. It looks like I can save a few bucks.
>
> Bob

What? save a few bucks. No way, just think about all the tires, chains, shoes and jerseys you'll
wear with all this extra time on the bike. Just buying new aerobars would have been cheap.

--
Perre