Do you ever cycle to "Escape" from anything?

200 kids from fourth to eighth grade every day. Many of them priveleged little rich kids (private school) that are "entitled" to everything...my job is to convince them they are not.
I ride to escape from the feeling that if I throttled just one...my work would be done:)

I have to admit I have an evil smile on when I leave my husband with our always moving 5 year old son and my 89 year old Father-in-Law with Alhizmers. My husband is gone a fair amount for work, it is a real pleasure to let him deal for a couple of hours. Escape? YOU BET!

I suffer quite badly with bordom, so getting out on my racing bike is a brilliant way of entertaining myself for periods of time. Its the best time to reflect on thoughts and i feel its a real inspiration to me. Also on a bike you can take in scenery that you wouldnt necassarily notice when out in a car, the countryside is a beutiful place and theres no better way of enjoying it than when your out on your bike. At times I can be very anti-social and solo bike rides suit me down to the ground, no one to talk to, just me and the bike riding out in the elements. Supprisingly cycling gives me loads of energy, even straight after rides. Not so much physical, but mental. It allows me to get out more and see friends, im normally the worst for being lazy and could often do with a boot up the backside.

Mr Chris

I love riding escaping from stress, I'll day dream when I ride sorta like gettin into a trance, maybe the adranelin helps, I feel really good and when I reach home I feel good for the rest of the day. maybe I'm just an adrenalin junkie

A Bike Zen Koan

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"
The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

I always liked this story for some reason. I thought it might fit here. :)

yeah, for me i dont escape from anything. cycling enhances my life, its not there to replace anything nor as a form of therapy. i just love the buzz i get from exercising and pumping those pedals and feeling the fresh air in my lungs.

i suppose its like an addiction, i get very grumpy when i cannot get out and ride. At the moment i am still waitng for my new wheels to arrive from the shop, (they arsed up my order and its taken over two weeks to arrive). So i have to content myself with my, not very road worthy, training bike on the trainer in the garden shed.

no, its not an escape, i have a very happy home life with my wife and kids.

Cycling has helped me "escape" 25 lbs of un-needed weight (hopefully more).

On a more related note, since I commute I find that no matter how bad my work day way, the stress is pretty much gone by the time a get home. There a nice, half mile incline (no idea on the %) that I'm tasked myself to do daily and the sense of accomplishment of that coupled with the extreme exhaustion plus the endorphins rushing to my brain makes me a happy camper once I get home.

Yeah biking is good for that. Anger issues. Yes I guess some people have that problem. Jogging and sprinting are really great outlets for anger. Communication issues. It's amazing how dysfunctional relationships can be that we have to walk away from people. I guess sometimes it is better. Well riding the bike really does clear the head a great deal.

Once biking through the bogs at my house, I thought I heard something rustling in the woods and my first instigation was a coyote. I biked as fast as I could away and manage to escape before it got on the road after me. Close times.

For me, it's just a bit of an escape from the everyday. When I'm out on the trails somewhere all I'm thinking about is keeping my line and not wiping out on the next drop. There's no room for all the mundane worries I'm usually preoccupied with. I also live a pretty tame, boring life. My other hobbies are baking and reading. I need something to get a little excitement in here and there! I'm very shy and quiet as well, and I feel like I'm a completely different person when I'm riding :)

I cycle mainly to clear my mind. Sometimes I overthink things and it just all goes to my head. Feeling the wind as I cycle makes everything seem more calm. Plus, with cycling, I just need to focus on going in one direction, you only cycle onward right? There's no such thing as cycling backwards.

Anyways, that's just what I do to escape.

Usually just to escape boredom. Though I have to admit that sometimes I feel down and I decide to ride to escape the sadness and chase away the gloominess.

Yeah I do. I quite often take night time rides around town and surrounding areas to just be with my thoughts and think about things.

I find that my mind is a lot more active when my body is doing something so cycling is a great way for me to think about the things that are on my mind. It doesn't solve my problems, some would say it's the literal saying of "running away" (or in this case cycling!), but it does help me to lay out my options and set plans on what to do next.

I ride to escape from the stuggles and stress of each day. I do it to also get away from technology and things like that.