General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Do you GPS or ordinance map and compass?

Started by Randell Tarin · · Last activity · 140 posts · 3,932 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 August 2004
Last activity
17 September 2004
Original author
Randell Tarin
Posts
140
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,932
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 140
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.

    The reason I'm asking is that I'm relatively new to both and since GPS
    technology is relatively new, I wanted to get the opinions of the more
    experienced.

    Which do you prefer and why?

    Randell

  2. On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:47:34 GMT, Randell Tarin <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    | Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    | in addition to it.
    |
    | The reason I'm asking is that I'm relatively new to both and since GPS
    | technology is relatively new, I wanted to get the opinions of the more
    | experienced.
    |
    | Which do you prefer and why?

    **********
    ** Both **
    **********

    I use an OS Explorer and Compass to get me where I want to go.
    I use GPS when I am in the middle of a featureless bit of moorland to tell
    me where I am on the map.

    When the Right to Roam legislation is implemented,
    http://www.ramblers.org.uk/news/archive/2004/accessgrantscheme.html
    st*ff these horrible waymarked metaled paths. I will have to relearn the
    skill of jumping from tussock to tussock on featureless, waterlogged peat
    moor Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Then the GPS will be *really* useful.

    Waymarks are OK if you are absolutely sure what route you will take.
    When on the hills you will often find that for some good reason, Something
    interesting off the path, rain/blizard makes it wise to head for nearest
    civilisation, I thing I will go the other way as it looks nicer today,
    etc. etc. etc.

    --
    Dave F

  3. I use BOTH. The map and compass are my primary navigational aids (and should
    be for everyone) and, although a bit of an expensive accessory, the GPS
    readout always helps me know where I'm lost!

    Randell Tarin wrote:
    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.

  4. Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.

    Quoted message said:

    Which do you prefer and why?

    All three.

    In my view a GPS isn't much use without a map.

    A compass costs very little and weight virtually nothing
    so there doesn't seem to be any excuse for not having
    one (and knowing how to use it).

    Maybe I'm old fashioned though, GPS wasn't even thought
    of when I learned to enjoy walking and navigation.

    Nick

  5. In message <[email hidden]>, Randell Tarin
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.


    GPS - requires batteries which run down, can malfunction, not get lock
    on satellites, etc.

    I'd ALWAYS carry a map and compass.

    Regards
    --
    Neil Pugh

  6. "Randell Tarin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and


    compass OR

    Quoted message said:

    in addition to it.

    The reason I'm asking is that I'm relatively new to both and since


    GPS

    Quoted message said:

    technology is relatively new, I wanted to get the opinions of the


    more

    Quoted message said:

    experienced.

    Which do you prefer and why?


    Learn to use all both ways so that they compliment each other. There
    are some who are so confident of using gps they probably use it on its
    own, but they have reached this decision after years of using both
    systems together. As a beginner you must explore both options
    thoroughly.

    Graham

  7. Randell Tarin <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.


    Definitely in addition to the map. I carry a magnetic compass just in
    case, but it is really redundant.
    --
    Gordon

  8. Randell Tarin <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.

    The reason I'm asking is that I'm relatively new to both and since GPS
    technology is relatively new, I wanted to get the opinions of the more
    experienced.

    Which do you prefer and why?

    Randell

    Now thats a post thats sure to stir things up around here!

    Disclaimer:-
    This is my personal opionion, feel free to disagree ;-)

    I don`t think (and hope) that there are any users round here that use
    a GPS completly in lieu of an OS map and compass. To do so would be a
    very silly idea indeed. I think the usual debate here is what tool is
    the principle navigation aid and what is the backup. My personal
    preference to rely on the map/compass but carry the GPS turned off at
    the bottom of my bag as a backup, this I find works very well. Other
    people choose the reverse option and thats their choice and thats fine
    by me. I wory that I may become dependent on it or loose my
    navigation skills otherwise. I don`t think a GPS spoils the sense of
    wilderness as much as a mobile phone or much more than a compass. a
    phone is a direct link to civilisation, a GPS is a direct link to some
    satellites miles overhead. Why do I have a GPS? Apart from being a
    sucker for new technology, I did a lot of GPS/GIS at University and
    was excited by the potential. Now I write software for a survey
    company where high precision DGPS is an amazingly useful tool. A lot
    depends on what type of walking you do and the consequences of
    instrument failure (remember that even in some parts of the UK, even a
    compass reading can be dubious due to magnetic rock). Walking solely
    with a GPS would be easier on open moorland than farmland but the
    consequences of instrument failure would be much greater. I think
    everyone needs to understand the limits of their choosen nav-aid,
    whatever it is.

    Reasons against relying on GPS
    A GPS is an electronic device and despite usually being well
    protected, can still break. I still love the way you can wash the mud
    off in a stream! True, a map can also rip/get blown away but if
    you`re that worried, a spare map wont cost as much as a spare GPS! A
    GPS runs on batteries, maps and compasses dont. Batteries run out
    when people forget to check before leaving, people forget spares and
    battery life depends on temperature. A GPS compass requires the GPS
    to be in motion (I know some GPS`s now have electonic magnetic
    compasses, are they any good?). A GPS might show your position to an
    enoromous level of accuracy and precision but without a map, its
    pretty meaningless - it wont show the river you have to cross/cliffs
    to avoid whilst in the hills, nor will it show all the realy useful
    stuff like farms/woods/fields/streams/paths when walking lowland
    farmland. No doubt when Anquet bring out OS mapping for palm-tops,
    this wont be so much of an issue (this may be do-able now?). You`d
    need to put on a load of waypoints with every path dog-leg marked to
    avoid it taking you on a merry dance through every bog in sight.
    Adding waypoints without a PC is a serious chore. GPS can be dubious
    in woods/high sided valleys. An incorrectly set GPS (Datums,
    spheroids...) is a liability. If your GPS packs up and you have to
    resort to map and compass, it takes time to get used to using the map
    again, just like when a mate passes you the map to lead and you havn`t
    really been following the route. A GPS may possibly lead you into a
    false sense of security - would you realy have carried on in the fog
    without it? A GPS will hinder learning good navigation skills if it
    gets brought out when things start to get tricky.

    Reasons for carrying a GPS as a backup to map/compass
    Handy to check position with what you think it is when not sure. It
    could save accidentaly walking down a dangerous route, wasting time
    trying to work out your location when you get a bit lost and very
    useful when leading a big group ("Ok everyone, back over the barbed
    wire fence, we`ve just gone the wrong way..."😉. If you suffer an
    accident, the rescue teams would prefer a nice accurate 8 fig GR to a
    rushed, incorrect GR. The ETA time for a track and the current speed
    helps keep your speed up. They make practicing pacing and other
    navigation techniques great fun - check your start with the GPS, walk
    to a point and see how far off you are. They help finding that
    ellusive hidden carpark. They help find that ellusive
    unwalked/unmarked path. They help mark that must-return-to wild camp
    location/view/lunch stop. They let you download the route you
    actually walked when you get home and have a good laugh. It`s
    probably the most accurate clock in your house. Mine will tell you
    sunset times, handy when taking photos of sunsets/knowing what time to
    pitch your tent. You can try Geocaching. You can calibrate your cars
    speedo. It may give you a useful alibi ("It couldn`t have been me
    officer, I was out walking, just look at this track."😉. Handy for
    finding your car in airport carparks. They make great discussion
    points. A dead GPS will make a handy door-stop...

    My advice, always carry a map and compass. learn how to use them.
    When happy with a map and compass, consider a GPS but never consider
    it as a replacement or come to rely on it.

    Ed.

  9. Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the wonderful
    person Randell Tarin <[email hidden]> said

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.

    The reason I'm asking is that I'm relatively new to both and since GPS
    technology is relatively new, I wanted to get the opinions of the more
    experienced.

    Which do you prefer and why?

    1) It depends where I am. Around civilization I often leave the compass
    / map at home, and just use the GPS - worst that can happen is you walk
    a few extra miles. On top of a big hill, with no roads/pubs/whatever for
    miles, take both. Heck, take spares.

    2) I prefer to use the GPS with tracks & waypoints loaded. It copes much
    better in wind/rain/fog/snow/cloud when maps are hard to handle, or when
    you can't see enough to get a compass bearing anyway. I like to walk -
    'figuring out where I am' is just a boring subtask - if the GPS can tell
    me in 3 seconds, that beats all heck out of taking cross bearings and
    working it out. Yes, I can do it if I have to (but not in zero
    visibility). You wouldn't normally go walking in 'whiteout' conditions
    of course, but it does sometimes happen .. quite fast.

    3) The GPS also tell you where you have been, how far you walked, etc.
    OK, so you need a PC and appropriate software 'back at base', and 'base'
    needs to not be too far away (depending on your GPS .. with most cheap
    ones you'd have a tough time loading a month's trekking routes and
    storing a month of track logs).

    Other folks have different preferences. As someone said, flat batteries
    in a GPS can really spoil your day (so can dropping it. So can losing
    your compass ..).

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

  10. Neil Pugh said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Randell Tarin
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.


    GPS - requires batteries which run down, can malfunction, not get lock
    on satellites, etc.

    Yawn...

    I suspect Randell Tarin is a troll.

    <plonk thread>

    Somebody tell me if it drifts into something interesting.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  11. On 27/8/04 2:47 am, in article [email hidden],

    Randell Tarin said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.

    The reason I'm asking is that I'm relatively new to both and since GPS
    technology is relatively new, I wanted to get the opinions of the more
    experienced.

    Which do you prefer and why?

    I primarily use maps and compasses. I bought a GPS last year after a bad
    experience in mist. So it always sits in my rucksack but is rarely used.

    --
    Andy Howell
    Birmingham, UK

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, GSV Three Minds in a Can
    <URL:[email hidden]> wrote:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    3) The GPS also tell you where you have been, how far you walked, etc.
    OK, so you need a PC and appropriate software 'back at base', and 'base'
    needs to not be too far away (depending on your GPS .. with most cheap
    ones you'd have a tough time loading a month's trekking routes and
    storing a month of track logs).

    I almost exclusively use my GPS this way round. It is used to collect a
    tracklog of where I have been, which I then can download to my PC when I
    get home. I then analyse the log in conjunction with mapping software
    and use it as a record of where I've been and also help identify where
    photographs were taken.

    Along the way I store some key waypoints such as the start point and any
    major points of interest or junctions. In the alps I often store the
    positions of huts, cols and summits for future reference if I return to
    the same region again. When not wandering as and where the fancy takes
    me, I generally navigate almost exclusively with map and compass and
    only occasionally refer to the GPS to confirm a grid position in bad
    weather conditions.

    Mike <URL:http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/>
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

  13. On 08/27/04 12:25 PM, in article [email hidden],

    Phil Cook said:
    Neil Pugh said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Randell Tarin
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.


    GPS - requires batteries which run down, can malfunction, not get lock
    on satellites, etc.

    Yawn...

    I suspect Randell Tarin is a troll.

    <plonk thread>

    Somebody tell me if it drifts into something interesting.

    Now Phil, let's play nice.

  14. On 08/27/04 12:25 PM, in article [email hidden],

    Phil Cook said:
    Neil Pugh said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Randell Tarin
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.


    GPS - requires batteries which run down, can malfunction, not get lock
    on satellites, etc.

    Yawn...

    I suspect Randell Tarin is a troll.

    <plonk thread>

    Somebody tell me if it drifts into something interesting.

    Now Phil, let's play nice.

  15. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Are the users of a GPS using this in lieu of an ordinance map and compass OR
    in addition to it.


    In addition to.
    --
    I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see me
    as a dire warning.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Ed
    Whittaker <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    My advice, always carry a map and compass. learn how to use them. When
    happy with a map and compass, consider a GPS but never consider it as a
    replacement or come to rely on it.

    Good post. My only disagreement is that throughout you omit "... and
    altimeter" after Map and Compass.

    I've never used a GPS and love maps :-)

    But for location you can't beat the addition of the altimeter. It shows
    what contour you're on, and in conjunction with compass direction it's
    great.

    I had cause recently to traverse an untracked moorland in the Scottish
    Borders in a thick mist in order to aim for the one descent off the hill
    which didn't lead over rocks <g>. The first time I ever had to resort to
    step counting and compass bearing and I was really proud to find I was
    spot on. No doubt the GPS would have sorted me out but it's a lot to
    spend for a backup.

    And with a map you get to answer the question "What's that hill over
    there?" :-)

    --
    Bernard Hill
    Selkirk, Scotland

  17. I'd never rely on GPS exclusively, and always use
    map/compass/altimeter for primary navigation.

    The only times my GPS (a Garmin Geko 201)was **really** useful were
    (a) kayaking in the Finnish lakeland: I had a map and a compass, but
    it is very hard to take waypoints if all islands look the same and
    you're only a couple of feet above the water.
    (b) finding my car on a huge supermarket / DYI store parking lot.
    (c), and most importantly for walking when there are few tracks
    (Rannoch Moor on a rainy & misty day a couple of weeks ago), I marked
    waypoints on my unit, to be able to walk back the way I came, in case
    I had to. Made me feel safer.

    So, as a backup, I think one of the cheaper units is a useful piece of
    gear to have.

  18. Birgit Kleymann <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'd never rely on GPS exclusively, and always use
    map/compass/altimeter for primary navigation.

    The only times my GPS (a Garmin Geko 201)was **really** useful were
    (a) kayaking in the Finnish lakeland: I had a map and a compass,

    The only time my Silva compass was really useful was when I forgot to
    take my GPS.

    These days it's ok using a magnetic compass for a fun exercise, and it
    is useful to be able to do it as backup, just as it's useful to be able
    to use a sextant when sailing.

    It is nonsense to talk about Satellite navigation as mere backup!
    (IMHO, of course)....
    --
    Gordon

  19. "Gordon" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The only times my GPS (a Garmin Geko 201)was **really** useful were
    (a) kayaking in the Finnish lakeland: I had a map and a compass,

    Quoted message said:

    The only time my Silva compass was really useful was when I forgot to
    take my GPS.

    The only times my girlfriend's GPS proved useful were several years back by
    making people go "Oooh, you've got one of them GPS wotsits." Now that the
    riff raff have got one and it's lost its novelty value there's not much
    point taking it anywhere.

    I like Paul Newman's attitude to navigation from this afternoon's film....
    "I don't know where we are but it sure as hell ain't Oklahoma". If he'd had
    a map and GPS he might have avoided that cliff, wouldn't have made the
    dramatic escape and the film would have been an hour shorter.

  20. Bernard Hill <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Good post. My only disagreement is that throughout you omit "... and
    altimeter" after Map and Compass.

    I sometimes use my Suunto which I got as a present last year (the big
    four zero) but I can never remember what all the buttons do and
    invariably
    find myself at an altitude of 50m above the summit.

    Quoted message said:


    I've never used a GPS and love maps :-)

    Me too. I also think that by not having a GPS, I rely more on my
    general
    feeling for the lie of the land. This was true on Saturday when my
    friend's GPS told him to bear east 50m too soon (it was misty, we were
    heading for a col). Now I know 50m isn't a lot but this was a steep
    decent and I was happy to continue to what felt like the right place
    and,
    as it turned out, was an easier decent.

    Now I know that a GPS should provide additional information and is
    therefore a good thing, but for me it would change my hill walking
    experience. I like finding my way through difficult conditions
    on difficult terrain.
    --
    Adrian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.