Do you have a bike computer?

meehs said:
Agreed. I like the "Average Speed" function too. It's nice to be able to know what your average was for a ride. I don't have a computer on my new road bike yet. I've got them on my other two bikes.

I hate to run that damn wire up the fork on my pretty new road bike (ridiculous I know). Anyone have any experience with the new computer from Mavic? It's a wireless model with the sensor pick-up built into the QR, so you don't have to mount it to your fork. Looks like it'd be nice and clean looking.
A good friend has the Mavic on his Felt -- he likes it a lot, hasn't had any problems I know about. The skewer bit is one of those why didn't I invent that? sort of obvious/brilliant concepts.

lokstah said:
A good friend has the Mavic on his Felt -- he likes it a lot, hasn't had any problems I know about. The skewer bit is one of those why didn't I invent that? sort of obvious/brilliant concepts.

Thanks for the info Lokstah. I just saw this post. I think I'll have to try one.

i'm in the market for a bike comp. that is reliable and can give me HR readings, as well as cadence and altitude. what should i be looking at? i've heard bad things about ciclosport.

thanks.

Big Nate said:
i'm in the market for a bike comp. that is reliable and can give me HR readings, as well as cadence and altitude. what should i be looking at? i've heard bad things about ciclosport.

thanks.
When you get into models with HR meters, you're talking big bucks. Can't go wrong with the all-in-one models from Polar, a company which specializes in body readings. I've had my eye for a while on the new Cateye -- the one that uses a single rear wireless sensor for both cadence and speed. There's a version with and a version without the HR function. It's just so slick, you might need to consider it...

...if they ever release it in the states.

Big Nate said:

thanks.
Got a CicloSport Hac4 about a month ago and will NEVER change, except perhaps to a newer version or Hac5 if it ever comes out. Takes a few days to figure out all the functions, but it does everything you could possibly want. The PC download kit lets you completely analyze your entire ride, and compare old rides to new. Perhaps it is not for idiots because it takes effort to learn to use, but if you are serious, I can't imagine there is a better cyclocomputer.

thanks for your replies, gentlemen. im going to go with the polar 720i, i believe.

VDO Cytec C15+

You don't see these around too much (Colorado Cyclist has the C10+), but the Performance Axiom computers are rebadged VDO's.

Yes. I have a Polar 720i that I bought from Performance bike. Got the 20% off deal plus 10% bonus club points. Should have waited till this weekend to get the same deal with 20% bonus club points. David

Shimano Flightdeck on both of my road bikes. Wired to the function buttons on the brake hoods.

lokstah said:
Yup. There's little reason not to -- they're cheap, easy to set up, and pretty useful. The basic functions nearly all computers share -- a speedometer, odometer, tripometer, a clock and a stopwatch -- are helpful no matter what your level is.

i have em on my bikes but if i were training seriously for something i prolly wouldnt, elapsed time used to drive me insane running and additionally speed avg speed etc would be that many times worse

Sure do. Shimano Flight Deck, wireless. A bike computer is some of the best money spent on a bike, imho, even if its a very basic model. Next up for me is an HRM this off season (which is badly needed and long overdue).

I voted "No" but the truth is I do have a computer, but it's in my spare parts drawer. I found that I was concentrating on my 'stats' and not enjoying riding when I was using a comp on my bicycle. So I took it off and feel much better about just riding to ride, and not to make a certain distance at a specific average speed.