Do you listen to music while riding? if so, how?

How does a deaf person "sense" a noise behind them when they are facing forwards, cycling along? That's my point - you are attributing an ability to deaf people that they do no have - they cannot see behind them; therefore they are as vulnerable as the so-called 'deaf' cyclist who chooses to use earphones.

It goes without saying, then, that according to those of you who think cyclists are putting themselves in danger by listening to music - we shoudl see cyclists who use earphones piled-up in the gutter along with deaf cyclists because they cannot hear what's coming up on them from behind? Right?

DID YOU READ THE SITE I GAVE YOU ABOUT HOW DEAF PEOPLE LEARN TO USE THEIR SIGHT BETTER IN MY LAST POST? End of discussion till you read that.

Also there is a lot of evidence that shows that listening to earbuds while riding is dangerous, which is why about 7 states so far have laws against it. Read my other posts, I'm not going to pound on the keyboard to repeat what I've already stated.

Have you stopped to ask yourself how I know? ;)
That is simply untrue and an often repeated urban myth. Unless deaf cyclists develop eyes in the back of their head, they are unable to sense approaching noises / objects / vehicles coming at them from behind whilst they have their head facing forwards. No special spidey-sense or any other form of magical assistance; they cannot hear. End of.

Hmmmmm, interesting twisting my words to what you quoted what I said:
"but I've found that deaf people learn to develop their other senses beyond what "normal" people do, so they are more aware with their eyes then most people are that have both sight and hearing."
Now do tell how you took what I said to mean what I said is untrue and an urban myth and somehow twisted it further to imply that I said "deaf cyclists develop eyes in the back of their head". What I stated agrees with the article that I posted and supposedly you read, yet your response to me does not agree with what I said.

Look, scariest thing I saw was while I was riding in Denver. We had stopped at a red traffic light. As the light turned green, a firetruck was coming from our right so we stayed where we were. At the same time, a girl on her bike WITH EARBUDS IN passed us and entered the intersection. Thank God at the very last second she looked right and crammed on her brakes, avoiding a seriously messy crash. Had she not given a glance, we would have witnessed something horrific and completely avoidable. I would love to listen to my music while riding but it's just not worth it.

Reactions: Methodical
I personally don't use them because I need to hear all that's around me. Those damn earbuds don't stay in my ear when I am not doing any activity and I can see it being a pain while riding. As a matter of fact, I don't even use them, I have a nice set of headphones I use when I want to listen to music with my phone or iPod.

What I found interesting is one bike club encourages ear buds for route guidance, via bluetooth and RWGPS (they can get turn by turn guidance from their phones for the ride), yet encourages verbal communication on the ride (i.e. on your left, debris, turns, potholes etc.). Ummmm?

We did a ride last week and I saw several potential disasters and all of them were wearing ear buds. First, we are riding in 2 pacelines and this fool decides to come in between us and the guy with earphones on did not notice him and drifted right towards the idiot who then drifted towards me, fortunately I had already started backing off when the fool came between us. We tried to warn the guy with the earphones, but he could not hear us and they touched, but fortunately did not go down. Here's the kicker, the idiot that came between the 2 lines was upset because the guy drifted towards him. Damn fool. I was glad we dropped his ass. Second. Another biker riding with earbuds was all over the road and as a car approached, I yelled "car back" several times and he never heard me and continued swerving all over the road and the car had to just be patient to get around him. This is one reason some of the drivers get ****** with cyclists.

Another group I ride with is very adamant that no one is to wear earbuds during the group rides because as we ride the paceline, we need to be able to hear all verbal commands and warnings. That I like.

Another issue is when I ride trails, everyone has earbuds, but get upset when you wiz by them. I yell "on your left" but they don't hear, so when I see they have on earbuds, I just wiz by them. They don't hear squat.

Last edited:
...But before you start laughing too hard consider this, California, Delaware, Florida (this state has the highest cyclist death rate of any state in the US due to retirees mostly), Maryland, New York, Rhode Island, and Virginia, that's 7 states (I may be missing one other) that have laws that restrict or ban the use of headphones, headsets, or earbuds.

I am looking, but if you have a link for Maryland that references no earbuds, please provide. I would like that bit of information, so that I can let the bike club president know about the law.

Thanks...Al

Update: Froze this is what I found. The wording is a bit tricky though. Tell me what you think and anyone else for that matter. The way it's written, they can use it in one ear. Either way, I am going to let the club President know to at least quote this bit of the law on their website.

"...A person may not ride a bicycle, motor scooter, or EPAMD while wearing a headset or earplugs
that cover both ears. (TR§21-12010)..."

Last edited:
Riding with 2 earbuds, earphones or whatever in your ears is crazy. Your hearing is impaired with them in your ear, period. If you ride with a group then you are being especially foolish and selfish. Those 2 examples I provided in my previous post, neither rider heard anything (they were oblivious to their surroundings and to what was going on) with those earbuds in their ears. Obviously, lawyers have to create laws to help us protect us from us.

Look, scariest thing I saw was while I was riding in Denver. We had stopped at a red traffic light. As the light turned green, a firetruck was coming from our right so we stayed where we were. At the same time, a girl on her bike WITH EARBUDS IN passed us and entered the intersection. Thank God at the very last second she looked right and crammed on her brakes, avoiding a seriously messy crash. Had she not given a glance, we would have witnessed something horrific and completely avoidable. I would love to listen to my music while riding but it's just not worth it.
Wow, a MEAN PINBALL player who rides a bike too!

iPhone with standard iPhone earbuds. Don't push them in too far and don't have them too loud and you can easily hear the traffic (and other noises) around you.
Same here. I've been using the standard iPhone headphones for years together with a smartphone. Like you said, as long as you don't play music too loud you can hear cars coming. I usually alternate between music and no music during long rides, nice to have the option. I also invested in a little handlebar end mirror that helps to see incoming cars.

I use my iPhone but have some sportier ear buds. No music though, I listen to books but only when riding solo.
I never wear headphones in a group ride.

I have an app that allows me to download books from my library, so I can usually find some good for free.

Last edited:
If using a headphones? No never. It is very dangerous you wont be able to hear the horns blowing behind you. You are most likely to get involved in an accident. However I see some who listen to music while cycling using a bluetooth, I think it is safe if not too loud.

A lot of friends do...but not me. I want to be able to hear what is around me. Also, when I go for a ride...that is my time to "get away" for a bit. I want to be with my thoughts...as scary as that might be :)

Yeah I do. most of the time rock and alternative musics, but in lower volume, I need to be aware about the sounds around me, we need that. I watched in the news about the biker hits by the train, while riding his bike with headset on, the biker didn't hear the alarm from the train and that's the cause of his death.

There are cases here of accidents caused by the biker not aware of the vehicle behind him due to the headphones attached to his head. I know those music lovers who cannot seem to be at ease without music that's why motorcycles here have the speakers that they can play their music. And although the motorcycle's music is heard by everyone, that's better than using a headphone which is against the safety regulation.

I wear wireless earphones but I only put one on my right ear, so that I can still pay attention to other noise on the road. I rarely do this, only on quiet mornings where there are just a few cars out.