Some interesting research was done a number of years ago on do watched
runners run faster.
People sitting on a grassy hill overlooking a running path sat
watching runners and also sat with their backs to the runners.
I can't remember all process of the experiment, however I believe that
they were timed before they came into view of the people sitting on the
hill. When they knew they were being watched they sped up. When the
observers had their backs to the runners, they maintained the same
speed.
Just back from NYC and running through Central Park and around the
bridle path around the reservoir...and it was slow if people were
watching or not. Not use to the humidity, and it wasn't that
bad...just different
In health and on the run,
Ozzie Gontang
[email hidden]
Maintainer - rec.running FAQ
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/rec/rec.running.html
Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975
Mindful Running http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp
In article <[email hidden]>, gty
Quoted message said:I always speed up when I encounter a person on the trail. I even go
out of my way to run where people can see me so I can show off.
I have a new mio ultimate heart rate monitor and i notice that i check
it when people are watching. I guess i am proud of the watch and want
people to see it. i hope not all runners are this obnoxious.
i have noticed that women look at me more and people seem to respect me
more when they see me jogging. female joggers look sexy. i can hardly
wait to get fast so i can pass people.