Do you take cooking items on trips?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Leo Scanlon, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Leo Scanlon

    Leo Scanlon Guest

    When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
    usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
    for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
    implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
    includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
    spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.

    Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

    Leo

    Tags:

  2. Leo Scanlon a écrit :

    > When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day
    > or so, we usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I
    > can do at least breakfast for us. Having been burned
    > enough times with crummy provided implements, I take
    > along a few supplies of my own. This generally includes a
    > chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
    > spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and
    > Brady Street.
    >
    > Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

    I have a "travel kit" I take when we rent a house 2 weeks in
    the summer. Kitchen scissors, 2 knives, 1 cutting board, a
    full peppermill, 2 kitchen towels, 3 of those clips you use
    to close food bags, a very small food processor (the one
    people use for baby food), a wine cooling thingy. I don't
    want to be chopping onions on a plate with a table knife
    like I had to do once...

    Nathalie in Switzerland

  3. >Leo Scanlon a écrit :

    >> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day
    >> or so, we usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I
    >> can do at least breakfast for us. Having been burned
    >> enough times with crummy provided implements, I take
    >> along a few supplies of my own. This generally includes a
    >> chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
    >> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and
    >> Brady Street.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

    Since we vacation on our sailboat, most of the implements
    stay aboard. There are two good knives, paring and a 6"
    slicing knife (Heinkels) that I can chop with but takes up
    less space.

    Others include a pepper mill, oysterknife, non-stick
    skillet, Steaming pot for lobster.

    Cooking on a two-burner gimbaled propane stove is really
    roughing it.

    OTOH, at Thanksgiving, I take a cloth tool roll full of
    knives, along with whatever I think I might want. With a
    rental car, we don't have to travel light.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

  4. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    Nathalie Chiva writes:

    >Leo Scanlon a écrit :
    >
    >> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day
    >> or so, we usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I
    >> can do at least breakfast for us. Having been burned
    >> enough times with crummy provided implements, I take
    >> along a few supplies of my own. This generally includes a
    >> chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
    >> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and
    >> Brady Street.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?
    >
    >I have a "travel kit" I take when we rent a house 2 weeks
    >in the summer. Kitchen scissors, 2 knives, 1 cutting board,
    >a full peppermill, 2 kitchen towels, 3 of those clips you
    >use to close food bags, a very small food processor (the
    >one people use for baby food), a wine cooling thingy. I
    >don't want to be chopping onions on a plate with a table
    >knife like I had to do once...

    Two chef's knives (in case anyone wants to help me with
    prep), one boning knife, two filleting knives (clean the
    catch, hand the dull one off to the helper for sharpening),
    paring knife, sharpener, KitchenAid stand mixer, mandoline,
    mixed kit of herbs, spices and oils (try using empty 750ml
    wine bottles for EVOO, splits for specialty oils like
    walnut), and a few other items. This is for stays of a week
    or longer.

    Of course we usually vacation with another family or two and
    their kids.

    We usually vacation on the Outer Banks of NC, about a 5 hour
    trip. Lately I've been prepping a meal that can go in the
    oven when we arrive (3-4pm) and be ready when everyone else
    shows up. Last year it was a half a pork loin roast
    marinated in soy, ginger, garlic, pepper, green onion and
    sesame oil. Marinated it 36 hours in the fridge and then
    froze it. It thawed on the trip down and was ready for the
    oven when we got there.

    Marc

  5. On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:58:21 +0000, Leo Scanlon wrote:

    > When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or
    > so, we usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do
    > at least breakfast for us. Having been burned enough times
    > with crummy provided implements, I take along a few
    > supplies of my own. This generally includes a chef's
    > knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's spices:
    > lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady
    > Street. Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

    We generally impose on friends. We used to pack a huge
    nonstick pan, but we've bought everybody one, so we can save
    the space. We take our ricer, to make potatoes and spaetzle
    for the carbers and riced cauliflower for us. A couple of
    Penzey's curries (usually vindaloo and balti), sometimes
    their jerk. We'll usually pick up a good bottle of olive oil
    at a local market. They have most ordinary stuff on hand.

    The up side is that everybody is really glad to have us. The
    down side is that for us, the rumors of great restaurants
    in, for instance, San Diego, are only rumors.

    Martin
    --
    Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
    DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 |

  6. stan

    stan Guest

    Leo Scanlon <[email protected]> wrote:
    > When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day
    > or so, we usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I
    > can do at least breakfast for us. Having been burned
    > enough times with crummy provided implements, I take
    > along a few supplies of my own. This generally includes a
    > chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
    > spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and
    > Brady Street.

    > Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

    With all the camera equipment and my laptop in tow when I
    travel, I wouldn't have room to pack any cooking implements.
    Besides, one of the key reasons why I travel is to get away
    from doing things, such as cooking, that I can do at home. I
    prefer to eat out at local restaurants when I travel.

  7. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "Rodney Myrvaagnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Since we vacation on our sailboat, most of the implements
    > stay aboard. There are two good knives, paring and a 6"
    > slicing knife (Heinkels) that I can chop with but takes up
    > less space.
    >
    > Others include a pepper mill, oysterknife, non-stick
    > skillet, Steaming pot for lobster.
    >
    > Cooking on a two-burner gimbaled propane stove is really
    > roughing it.

    Ditto for me. I was actually surprised by how much can be
    accomplished aboard with just a 2-burner alcohol stove, a
    Magma propane bbq and a French press which is indispensible
    first thing in the morning.

  8. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(MrAoD) writes:
    >
    >Nathalie Chiva writes:
    >
    >>Leo Scanlon a écrit :
    >>
    >>> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day
    >>> or so, we usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I
    >>> can do at least breakfast for us. Having been burned
    >>> enough times with crummy provided implements, I take
    >>> along a few supplies of my own. This generally includes
    >>> a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some
    >>> Pensey's spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic
    >>> powder, and Brady Street.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?
    >>
    >>I have a "travel kit" I take when we rent a house 2 weeks
    >>in the summer. Kitchen scissors, 2 knives, 1 cutting
    >>board, a full peppermill, 2 kitchen towels, 3 of those
    >>clips you use to close food bags, a very small food
    >>processor (the one people use for baby food), a wine
    >>cooling thingy. I don't want to be chopping onions on a
    >>plate with a table knife like I had to do once...

    If you're Italian you could use the toilet seat lid for a
    cutting board? LOL

    Many moons ago I did a lot of cross country driving (for
    business and pleasure), I never liked to fly. I still have
    my traveling kit all packed and ready to go; 20qt thermos
    ice chest (just the right size and not so big the motels
    won't complain about the ice), plastic electric percolator,
    cheapo eating utensils (spoons, forks, gas station steak
    knives), utility knife, tongs, spatula, can opener, roll of
    heavy duty aluminum foil, a bottle dish liquid,and my trusty
    $2 grill. When traveling I rarely ate in restaurants, wasn't
    worth the risk ruining my trip contracting a case of the
    shits. Each day I'd plan a stop in a larger town for a
    stupidmarket spree, where I'd stock up on a day's worth of
    vittles; java grounds, canned soda, juices, milk, cereal,
    muffins, bread/rolls, fresh fruit, couple onions n'
    potatoes, and whatever meat looked good... perhaps a nice
    steak or a couple pork chops, sometimes I'd even lower my
    standards and get a package of mystery ground for a giant
    burger... and whatever else in the aisles attracted my
    attention... and I'd make sure my charcoal supply was
    sufficient (most every stupid market carries briquettes all
    year). I'd usually begin driving before sun up so I'd stop
    at a Super 8 early enough to prepare dinner... never found a
    Super 8 yet didn't have a grassy spot where they'd permit me
    to light my grill. One of my favorites was to make up a foil
    packet containing sliced spuds n' onyuns, s n' p, and a pat
    of butter... when it was near ready I'd slap on a steak or
    whatever was my special of the day... and often I'd pick up
    the fixin's for a nice salad too. Much better than eating
    fast food crap or at some diner where chances are they'll
    treat you to a case of the runs.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  9. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

> [...]

    attention... and I'd make sure my charcoal supply was
    sufficient (most every stupid market carries briquettes all
    year). I'd usually begin driving before sun up so I'd stop
    at a Super 8 early enough to prepare dinner... never found a
    Super 8 yet didn't have a grassy spot where they'd permit me
    to light my grill. One of my favorites was to make up a foil
    packet containing sliced spuds n' onyuns, s n' p, and a pat
    of butter... when it was near ready I'd slap on a steak or
    whatever was my special of the day... and often I'd pick up
    the fixin's for a nice salad too. Much better than eating
    fast food crap or at some diner where chances are they'll
    treat you to a case of the runs.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  10. "Leo Scanlon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day
    > or so, we usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I
    > can do at least breakfast for us. Having been burned
    > enough times with crummy provided implements, I take
    > along a few supplies of my own. This generally includes a
    > chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
    > spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and
    > Brady Street.
    >

    > Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?
    >
    > Leo

    The first time we stayed in a place with a kitchen I just
    brought along foodstuff, hebs and spices. Ha, wrong....fully
    equiped kitchen my arse. I think there was a percolator, a
    sauce pan, a frying pan, a spatula, a $0.49 paring knife
    dishes and eating utensils.

    Trips of that nature since have including packing at least a
    stockpot, chef's knife, grater, whisk, measuring
    cups/spoons, peppermill, mixing bowl or two, peeler, and
    cocktail shaker.

    Jessica