Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

does anyone carry avocet? Need Avocet 50 replacement

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 17 posts · 1,209 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 July 2005
Last activity
7 July 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,209
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I went out and rode my bike for the first time this year. Yes, I
    suck. Anyway, my Avocet 50 isn't working again. The plastic cell
    holders won't stay in.

    No problem, I'll buy a 45TT or something that will fit on my MTB and
    road bike mounts. Nashbar doesn't have avocet and the same for
    Performance Bike.

    See some new stuff but wanted something that would fit as I once again
    get battery holders from avocet.

    Did the bike parts sellers get tired of avocet? What is the closest
    current offering that would make me happy? I really like that
    altitude function since it lets me know that when I'm feeling strong,
    I am likely going down hill 🙁

    Thanks,

    Wes S
    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  2. I heard that avocet computers had a reliability problem with the
    battery contacts or something (maybe a corrosion problem) or just
    plain flakiness:

    http://www.avocet.com/cyclopages/cyclo.html
    http://roadbikereview.com/cat/training/computers/avocet/PRD_19049_1624crx.aspx

    Anyway, almost nobody sells these computers any more. You can get a
    really nice computer on sale from performance, sometimes, for $9 or
    $11.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  3. Quoted message said:

    I went out and rode my bike for the first time this year. Yes, I
    suck. Anyway, my Avocet 50 isn't working again. The plastic cell
    holders won't stay in.

    Call Avocet customer service (see link below). They can repair or replace
    your unit for a nominal charge.
    http://www.avocet.com/customer_service.html

    Art Harris

  4. (Donald Gillies) said:

    I heard that avocet computers had a reliability problem with the
    battery contacts or something (maybe a corrosion problem) or just
    plain flakiness:

    http://www.avocet.com/cyclopages/cyclo.html
    http://roadbikereview.com/cat/training/computers/avocet/PRD_19049_1624crx.aspx

    Anyway, almost nobody sells these computers any more. You can get a
    really nice computer on sale from performance, sometimes, for $9 or
    $11.

    Thanks for taking the time for the links. I slowly got the message
    that avocet must have some huge qa problems if nashbar,
    coloradocyclist, excel sports, and performance bike don't carry their
    stuff.

    Thanks for taking time to respond.

    Wes
    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  5. Arthur Harris said:
    Quoted message said:

    I went out and rode my bike for the first time this year. Yes, I
    suck. Anyway, my Avocet 50 isn't working again. The plastic cell
    holders won't stay in.

    Call Avocet customer service (see link below). They can repair or replace
    your unit for a nominal charge.
    http://www.avocet.com/customer_service.html

    Art Harris

    I see that they still sell the battery holders + batteries. My battery
    holders have had to be replaced every 4 or 5 years since they don't
    want to stay in after a while.

    I put replacements on order but I got to find a real replacement for
    this unit that I can use on two bikes that has all the features + any
    other ones that are a bonus.

    Wes
    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Call Avocet customer service (see link below). They can repair or replace
    your unit for a nominal charge.
    http://www.avocet.com/customer_service.html

    Art Harris

    I see that they still sell the battery holders + batteries. My battery
    holders have had to be replaced every 4 or 5 years since they don't
    want to stay in after a while.

    I put replacements on order but I got to find a real replacement for
    this unit that I can use on two bikes that has all the features + any
    other ones that are a bonus.

    The original batteries were mercury type which are no longer sold (for
    environmental reasons I think). But you can buy suitable zinc-air hearing
    aid batteries at any drug store or Radio Shack. Just make sure they're the
    right size and voltage. My ancient Avocet 40 is still going strong, and uses
    "675" zinc-air hearing aid batteries. You can get a pack of 6 or 8 for a
    couple of bucks. They don't last as long as the mercury cells, but mine go
    for about six months on average.

    I think Avocet has more of a marketing problem than a QA problem. Even their
    tires (which are excellent) are hard to find. It's best to deal directly
    with Avocet. BTW, there have been many good reports here about Avocet's
    Customer Service department.

    Art Harris

  7. Arthur Harris said:
    Quoted message said:

    I put replacements on order but I got to find a real replacement for
    this unit that I can use on two bikes that has all the features + any
    other ones that are a bonus.

    The original batteries were mercury type which are no longer sold (for
    environmental reasons I think). But you can buy suitable zinc-air hearing
    aid batteries at any drug store or Radio Shack. Just make sure they're the
    right size and voltage. My ancient Avocet 40 is still going strong, and uses
    "675" zinc-air hearing aid batteries. You can get a pack of 6 or 8 for a
    couple of bucks. They don't last as long as the mercury cells, but mine go
    for about six months on average.

    In my 50, I've been sticking 386's for many years. The discontinuance
    of mercury batteries stink. I have a few 35mm cameras that used
    mercury batteries and don't have voltage regulators. Messes with the
    metering. A bit of governmental excess. My employer accepts all my
    dead batteries to be properly disposed.

    Avocet still had the manual for mine and yours online. I guess you
    did find a workable battery for yours.

    Quoted message said:


    I think Avocet has more of a marketing problem than a QA problem. Even their
    tires (which are excellent) are hard to find. It's best to deal directly
    with Avocet. BTW, there have been many good reports here about Avocet's
    Customer Service department.

    Well, I've had their tires and didn't have any complaints. My 50 has
    been a bit fragile and water sensitive but I keep it going. The 50
    always was a bit touchy with water. I just wonder why Avocet hasn't
    updated their cyclecomputer products in years.

    If new battery holders doesn't fix it, I'll try sending one in. My
    brother had one and I had two, one for each bike, and the parts from
    his (crashed) have kept me going for a long time.

    Thanks again for the help,

    Wes
    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  8. Quoted message said:

    I went out and rode my bike for the first time this year. Yes, I
    suck. Anyway, my Avocet 50 isn't working again. The plastic cell
    holders won't stay in.

    No problem, I'll buy a 45TT or something that will fit on my MTB and
    road bike mounts. Nashbar doesn't have avocet and the same for
    Performance Bike.

    See some new stuff but wanted something that would fit as I once again
    get battery holders from avocet.

    Did the bike parts sellers get tired of avocet? What is the closest
    current offering that would make me happy? I really like that
    altitude function since it lets me know that when I'm feeling strong,
    I am likely going down hill 🙁

    If you're looking for something with a decent altimeter, check out the
    Ciclomaster 434 & 436. They're one of the very few that give very accurate
    climbing figures; many others will give you an acceptable current altitude
    reading, but most tend to greatly over-estimate the amount of climbing in
    your ride. The Avocet 50 & Ciclomasters are the best-in-class in that
    regard.

    But, as someone else pointed out, Avocet still sells batteries for the 50,
    and includes a new pair of caps with them. I believe they're up to about
    $9/set now, but that's still a whole lot less-expensive than a new computer.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  9. Quoted message said:

    In my 50, I've been sticking 386's for many years. The discontinuance
    of mercury batteries stink. I have a few 35mm cameras that used
    mercury batteries and don't have voltage regulators. Messes with the
    metering. A bit of governmental excess. My employer accepts all my
    dead batteries to be properly disposed.

    I think you are dead, dead, DEAD wrong about the discontinuance of
    mercury batteries. In case you didn't know, mercury is a neurotoxin
    and it's not uncommon, when there is a landfill shortage problem
    (which happens weekly all over america), to temporarily incinerate
    trash, thus putting a neurotoxin into our air.

    Instead of griping about government excess, why not take advantage of
    a government-sponsored university near you - GOT EDUCATION ?? Then
    let's hear your revised opinion about whether mercury batteries should
    have been discontinued...

    Maybe you could learn to solder and fix your cameras yourself? I fix
    or modify my SONY walkmans all the time this way.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  10. Donald Gillies said:

    I think you are dead, dead, DEAD wrong about the discontinuance of
    mercury batteries. In case you didn't know, mercury is a neurotoxin
    and it's not uncommon, when there is a landfill shortage problem
    (which happens weekly all over america), to temporarily incinerate
    trash, thus putting a neurotoxin into our air.

    Instead of griping about government excess, why not take advantage of
    a government-sponsored university near you - GOT EDUCATION ?? Then
    let's hear your revised opinion about whether mercury batteries should
    have been discontinued...

    Hmmm. From what I read it would make more sense to outlaw coal burning
    power plants than to outlaw mercury button batteries!

    What percentage of the mercury in our environment comes from discarded
    button batteries? What percentage comes from coal-based power plants?

    Is there a chance you're focusing on a miniscule problem (button
    battery pollution) just because it's vaguely related to another bigger,
    more complicated problem?

    - Frank Krygowski

  11. (Donald Gillies) said:
    Quoted message said:

    In my 50, I've been sticking 386's for many years. The discontinuance
    of mercury batteries stink. I have a few 35mm cameras that used
    mercury batteries and don't have voltage regulators. Messes with the
    metering. A bit of governmental excess. My employer accepts all my
    dead batteries to be properly disposed.

    I think you are dead, dead, DEAD wrong about the discontinuance of
    mercury batteries. In case you didn't know, mercury is a neurotoxin
    and it's not uncommon, when there is a landfill shortage problem
    (which happens weekly all over america), to temporarily incinerate
    trash, thus putting a neurotoxin into our air.

    No, I'm quite alive. The mercury battery problem, assuming it is a
    problem, since the current state of land fill technology makes for
    something a bit more sophisticated than a hole in the ground.
    Membranes, piping to collect gasses and off flows, a requirement to
    fund for the continuing operation of environmental systems after a
    land fill is shut down, ect.

    Quoted message said:


    Instead of griping about government excess, why not take advantage of
    a government-sponsored university near you - GOT EDUCATION ?? Then
    let's hear your revised opinion about whether mercury batteries should
    have been discontinued...

    Why does my education need to be government sponsored? I have had a
    bit of that stuff and a bit of privately paid for. Most of my family
    have attended privately funded schools of education.

    Car batteries have been dealt with by core charges and most people
    bring the darn things back to a) get rid of them, b) get their money
    back.

    Something similar to that would have worked just fine. I guarantee,
    most people would bring back a mercury battery for 3 - 5 bucks each.

    Quoted message said:


    Maybe you could learn to solder and fix your cameras yourself? I fix
    or modify my SONY walkmans all the time this way.

    Wow, you are an electrical genius. Let me guess, you did the shockley
    diode trick that you learned about on the web to drop the voltage of
    what ever battery that fits now. Did I guess right?

    None of my Sony walkmans have ever failed so I haven't had to fix
    them. I did get my Palm TE to recover from a fall last night that
    stuck it in to permanent on until the battery cut out.

    Btw, I have about 2 or 3 lbs of liquid mercury on hand. It is great
    stuff. You use it to take a gun barrel with LEADING and it just sucks
    the stuff up. Where did I get it? By vacuuming the remains of blown
    mercury contactors over the years. Back when we were not hysterical
    about the stuff.

    Coal fired power plants are the big issue. I live in the Great Lakes
    Region, fishing isn't the same now. So, pick your targets, batteries
    were handled poorly. Camera buffs would have paid a deposit for the
    return of the batteries they needed. Most other non durable stuff
    would have just changed to accommodate a more environmentally friendly
    battery chemistry.

    Quoted message said:


    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    San Diego, I've spent a bit of time there, the Marines hold a position
    down there in enemy territory.

    Wes S

    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  12. Quoted message said:

    Hmmm. From what I read it would make more sense to outlaw coal burning
    power plants than to outlaw mercury button batteries!

    What percentage of the mercury in our environment comes from discarded
    button batteries? What percentage comes from coal-based power plants?

    Batteries are NO LONGER one of the major sources of mercury
    pollution- because of that infernal "government regulation". You
    would be surprised at how much they used to be responsible for: see
    e.g.
    http://www.mass.gov/dep/files/mercury/hgexsum.htm
    for a window into 1995 levels. Now that my son's administration is in
    charge of the EPA, forget trying to get any legitimate national figures
    from them.

    A deposit system would not have been an adequate solution, for several
    reasons. One of them is that mercury recyling itself results in mercury
    emissions into the air. Another is that while "most" people might have
    not thrown them in the trash, enough would have for it to have remained
    a serious problem.

    Since there are many workable replacements, the loss of mercury
    batteries is nothing, especially compared with what we have gained from
    that, and anyone who [censored] about it is a whiner and a [censored]. By
    comparison, banning cadmium from photographic papers was a real loss,
    and though I suffer from it, even I recognize it as a real necessity.

    Radium made for damn good watch dials, asbestos for great brake pads
    and all sorts of other useful products, and beryllium is a wonder metal
    too. And don't forget lead plumbing and lead cutlery! Nothing can
    compare. Don't you miss them all. Now let us whine, amen.

  13. 41 said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmmm. From what I read it would make more sense to outlaw coal burning
    power plants than to outlaw mercury button batteries!

    What percentage of the mercury in our environment comes from discarded
    button batteries? What percentage comes from coal-based power plants?

    Batteries are NO LONGER one of the major sources of mercury
    pollution- because of that infernal "government regulation". You
    would be surprised at how much they used to be responsible for: see
    e.g.
    http://www.mass.gov/dep/files/mercury/hgexsum.htm
    for a window into 1995 levels.

    Hmm. I am surprised. I had no idea so many button batteries were
    being thrown away per year, let alone burned in incinerators.

    - Frank Krygowski

  14. 41 said:

    A deposit system would not have been an adequate solution, for several
    reasons. One of them is that mercury recyling itself results in mercury
    emissions into the air. Another is that while "most" people might have
    not thrown them in the trash, enough would have for it to have remained
    a serious problem.

    You got numbers on how bad emissions from recycling would be vs what
    is currently being turned loose?

    Quoted message said:


    Since there are many workable replacements, the loss of mercury
    batteries is nothing, especially compared with what we have gained from
    that, and anyone who [censored] about it is a whiner and a [censored]. By
    comparison, banning cadmium from photographic papers was a real loss,
    and though I suffer from it, even I recognize it as a real necessity.

    Yes, I really love buying air/zinc batteries that are guaranteed to be
    dead when I want to use them in my F1. For the majority of devices an
    alkaline replacement was just fine. I wish there had been an option
    left open for getting mercuric batteries, with a deposit of course,
    for the devices that didn't convert gracefully. Or the government can
    send me a newer F1 that doesn't have the problem 🙂

    The total ban mentality, no matter how it inconviences people, is a
    sign of arrogance and leads to a lack of support for changes that
    might actually have merrit.

    And in retrospect, camera use would have falled off anyway since most
    people are going digital.

    Quoted message said:


    Radium made for damn good watch dials, asbestos for great brake pads
    and all sorts of other useful products, and beryllium is a wonder metal
    too.

    Beryllium is great stuff. Once had some berylium-copper tools. You
    just can't work on a klystron or magnetron w/o some tools made out of
    the stuff. Just don't breath the dust if machining it.

    You'll just have to pardon me if I get a bit irritated at times with
    the no matter what the cost save the planet attitude. We have gone
    from worries of global cooling to global warning in my life time.

    We have groups that want the USA to conserve its way out of energy
    dependance while supporting illegal immigration which is only going to
    add to the number of people that live in a country with very high
    energy usage per capita. Energy use = polution for the most part.

    I once worked for a corporation that was trying to get a npdes permit
    to discharge non-contact cooling water into a river. They couldn't
    get a permit because the water they were discharging was too dirty for
    the EPA. Then some bright guy tested the incoming water that the plant
    recieved from the city that got the water from the same river. The
    incomming water didn't meet EPA specs. The plant was trying to
    discharge water that was actually cleaner than what was in the river
    and was denied.

    BTW, the casters on my toolbox are known to cause cancer in the State
    of California. Lucky me, I live in Michigan.

    Make a great day,

    Wes S

    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

  15. Quoted message said:
    41 said:

    A deposit system would not have been an adequate solution, for several
    reasons. One of them is that mercury recyling itself results in mercury
    emissions into the air. Another is that while "most" people might have
    not thrown them in the trash, enough would have for it to have remained
    a serious problem.

    You got numbers on how bad emissions from recycling would be vs what
    is currently being turned loose?

    Quoted message said:


    Since there are many workable replacements, the loss of mercury
    batteries is nothing, especially compared with what we have gained from
    that, and anyone who [censored] about it is a whiner and a [censored]. By
    comparison, banning cadmium from photographic papers was a real loss,
    and though I suffer from it, even I recognize it as a real necessity.

    Yes, I really love buying air/zinc batteries that are guaranteed to be
    dead when I want to use them in my F1. For the majority of devices an
    alkaline replacement was just fine. I wish there had been an option
    left open for getting mercuric batteries, with a deposit of course,
    for the devices that didn't convert gracefully. Or the government can
    send me a newer F1 that doesn't have the problem 🙂

    The total ban mentality, no matter how it inconviences people, is a
    sign of arrogance and leads to a lack of support for changes that
    might actually have merrit.

    And in retrospect, camera use would have falled off anyway since most
    people are going digital.

    Quoted message said:


    Radium made for damn good watch dials, asbestos for great brake pads
    and all sorts of other useful products, and beryllium is a wonder metal
    too.

    Beryllium is great stuff. Once had some berylium-copper tools. You
    just can't work on a klystron or magnetron w/o some tools made out of
    the stuff. Just don't breath the dust if machining it.

    You'll just have to pardon me if I get a bit irritated at times with
    the no matter what the cost save the planet attitude. We have gone
    from worries of global cooling to global warning in my life time.

    We have groups that want the USA to conserve its way out of energy
    dependance while supporting illegal immigration which is only going to
    add to the number of people that live in a country with very high
    energy usage per capita. Energy use = polution for the most part.

    I once worked for a corporation that was trying to get a npdes permit
    to discharge non-contact cooling water into a river. They couldn't
    get a permit because the water they were discharging was too dirty for
    the EPA. Then some bright guy tested the incoming water that the plant
    recieved from the city that got the water from the same river. The
    incomming water didn't meet EPA specs. The plant was trying to
    discharge water that was actually cleaner than what was in the river
    and was denied.

    BTW, the casters on my toolbox are known to cause cancer in the State
    of California. Lucky me, I live in Michigan.

    Well, one of the deals with mercury is that it doesn't degrade once
    released, so even if you cut way back on emmisions, the amount in the
    environment is going to steadily increase as long as some is being
    produced. It isn't like you can just reduce emissions to reach a
    nice, agreeded upon steady state. The ban on mercury makes sense, and
    if it inconveniences a few photographers, well, too bad.

    Now, I do think some of the objections to nuclear power, for example,
    are overstated, and don't get me started on those folks who were
    protesting the Cassini space probe launch...

    Oh, by the way, your permit story sounds like an urban legend. I
    don't believe it.

  16. Jim Smith said:

    Oh, by the way, your permit story sounds like an urban legend. I
    don't believe it.

    Good. Being a bit skeptical is a good trait.

    I heard the story from the corporate enviromental people where I used
    to work. They were mostly lawyers, I'm not going to vouch for them.

    Wes

  17. Jim Smith said:

    Oh, by the way, your permit story sounds like an urban legend. I
    don't believe it.

    I believe it. There's a former medical manufacturing plant here in town
    (CR Bard), and they used Ethelene Oxide (EtO) (1) to sterilize their
    products. It's a hazardous substance (well, it has to kill microbes!)
    and they were endlessly harrassed by the Department of Environmental
    Management because of *mathematical* emissions - the emissions at the
    end of the 6" diameter vent stack were not measurable. It had to be
    _calculated_.

    All the while it's a not-so-well-kept secret that the Hospitals 'round
    these parts emit hundreds if not thousands of pounds of the stuff. (2)

    So what happened? CR Bard moved everything to NJ.

    *Wave to "Turbo" wherever you are*

    --
    BMO

    1. CR Bard recycled the "waste" gas by turning it into antifreeze
    (Ethelene Glycol) and selling it. Gas up the stack was money up the stack.

    2. Rhode Island is a quirky state, where politics is incestuous and is
    the biggest spectator sport.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.