Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Does Giant make a composite with an ultegra triple?

Started by ed · · Last activity · 12 posts · 435 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 August 2007
Last activity
30 August 2007
Original author
ed
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
435
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    Keith

  2. ed said:

    Hello,

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    Keith

    They're using compact doubles these days, for two reasons I can think
    of:

    1) the double looks sportier, even if it's a compact; and
    2) they figure if you're gonna spend over $3000 on such a bike and
    want a triple, you can afford another $300 on swapping the cranks and
    RD.

  3. Hank Wirtz said:
    ed said:

    Hello,

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    Quoted message said:

    Keith

    They're using compact doubles these days, for two reasons I can think
    of:

    1) the double looks sportier, even if it's a compact; and
    2) they figure if you're gonna spend over $3000 on such a bike and
    want a triple, you can afford another $300 on swapping the cranks and
    RD.

    3) Do mortals really need a 53x11?

    Chris

  4. Chris Nelson said:
    Hank Wirtz said:

    On Aug 22, 4:13 am, ed <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Keith

    Quoted message said:

    They're using compact doubles these days, for two reasons I can think
    of:

    Quoted message said:

    1) the double looks sportier, even if it's a compact; and
    2) they figure if you're gonna spend over $3000 on such a bike and
    want a triple, you can afford another $300 on swapping the cranks and
    RD.

    3) Do mortals really need a 53x11?

    Walter Mitty is immortal!

  5. In article
    <[email hidden]>
    ,

    Chris Nelson said:
    Hank Wirtz said:
    ed said:

    Hello,

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    Quoted message said:

    Keith

    They're using compact doubles these days, for two reasons I can think
    of:

    1) the double looks sportier, even if it's a compact; and
    2) they figure if you're gonna spend over $3000 on such a bike and
    want a triple, you can afford another $300 on swapping the cranks and
    RD.

    3) Do mortals really need a 53x11?

    On miles long gradual descents it can be restful.
    40 km/hr at a cadence 60->65.
    Amateur racers might find them useful on descents.

    --
    Michael Press

  6. "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    3) Do mortals really need a 53x11?

    On miles long gradual descents it can be restful.
    40 km/hr at a cadence 60->65.
    Amateur racers might find them useful on descents.

    50x11 with 26" wheels is useful for us sometimes - can't pedal it much above
    50mph though. Oh yes - this is on a tandem.

    cheers,
    clive

  7. ed said:

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    That's easy.
    If you desire a carbon Giant with a triple Ultegra crank, walk in to a
    Giant dealer who stocks carbon models and say, "I'd like to buy this
    bike with an Ultegra triple crank". If you hear anything unlike, "Yes,
    sir, thank you," go to a different Giant dealer. Repeat until success.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  8. Hank Wirtz said:
    ed said:

    Hello,

    Quoted message said:

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    Quoted message said:

    Keith

    They're using compact doubles these days, for two reasons I can think
    of:

    1) the double looks sportier, even if it's a compact; and
    2) they figure if you're gonna spend over $3000 on such a bike and
    want a triple, you can afford another $300 on swapping the cranks and
    RD.

    We have some pretty steep hills where I am at. I enjoy using my triple
    on my ocr1. Saves my knees. Does the compact even approach the ease of
    a triple?

    Keith

  9. ed said:


    We have some pretty steep hills where I am at. I enjoy using my triple
    on my ocr1. Saves my knees. Does the compact even approach the ease of
    a triple?

    It depends on what sprockets you have in the back. A road triple
    typically comes with a 30t small ring; a compact double usually has a
    34t small ring. 30/23 low gearing is the same as 34/26.

    Chalo

  10. Quoted message said:

    Does the compact even approach the ease of a triple?

    Quoted message said:

    Keith

    In my opinion, no. On my triple I dumped the 30t granny for a 26t one.
    Big difference.

  11. Chris Nelson said:

    ...
    3) Do mortals really need a 53x11?

    That would be a rather small top gear on a bicycle with an ISO 406-mm
    drive wheel.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  12. Andrew Muzi mused:

    Quoted message said:
    ed said:

    Does anyone know if Giant makes an composite frame bike with an
    ultegra triple? I see some older giant bikes that have this
    configuration, but I can seem to find anything on their website....

    That's easy.
    If you desire a carbon Giant with a triple Ultegra crank, walk in to a
    Giant dealer who stocks carbon models and say, "I'd like to buy this
    bike with an Ultegra triple crank". If you hear anything unlike, "Yes,
    sir, thank you," go to a different Giant dealer. Repeat until success.

    You got to stop being so obliging to your customers! 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.