rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Does Muni provide exercise at all?

Started by RB2 · · Last activity · 37 posts · 479 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
21 September 2006
Last activity
23 September 2006
Original author
RB2
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
479
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–37 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. john_childs said:

    The workout you get from unicycling is entirely dependent on the
    terrain. If the terrain is easy (flat and/or smooth) you are not going
    to get the same kind of workout you can on a bike. On a bike you can
    change gears to make even the easy terrain a workout. Can't do that on
    a unicycle.

    Muni can give you a good workout if the terrain is good for it. You
    can get the heart rate up and keep it there. On some trails even much
    more so than the same trail on a MTB. On the types of trails I like to
    ride I can keep my heart rate up higher on the muni than on the MTB
    (but my MTB skills also suck so I can't ride the MTB aggressively on
    singletrack). On the muni I often have to stop and grab a tree to rest
    and catch my breath because I'm working so hard. I have never had that
    problem on a MTB.

    Smooth buff XC trails without a lot of elevation changes are going to
    be bad for the workout goal. Rooty, rocky, and rolling trails are
    going to give you a very good workout. It also has to do with how
    aggressively you ride the trail.

    There are some differences in the workouts though. On a bike you can
    push yourself farther into energy debt than you can on a unicycle. You
    can be totally beat on a bike and still keep pedaling and still keep
    your balance. When you're totally beat on a unicycle you'll be falling
    over little simple bumps in the trail because you'll be unable to
    recover your balance.

    Unicycling requires the sprinting fast twitch muscle fibers to keep
    your balance when riding bumpy terrain. Those fast twitch muscles are
    the first to go when you get beat. They're also the first to go when
    you go anaerobic to make it up a climb. On a bike the fast twitch
    muscles can go and you'll still be able to pedal and keep your balance.

    I basically disagree with everything you said. I get a better workout
    on a uni than on a bike no matter what. If it's flat, push harder. I'm
    also able to pedal and keep my balance on a uni when I can't even stand
    on my own two feet. And I've only been unicycling for 4 months total.
    So, the answer to the OP is, HELL YES! The answer to you, try harder.

    --
    AscenXion

    *\ /*
    */ \*

    *SingleTrak'n*
    *Order Of One [O³]*

    Quoted message said:

    *You've shown your true face, AscenXion, and revealed that only an
    exclusive order of people can exist in your world where you are an
    intolerant god.*


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  2. habbywall said:

    Don't know if anyone has said this yet because I am too lazy to read it
    all, but in unicycling, especially muni you need to be peddling at all
    times unlike mountain biking so it is alot more energy required.

    Just because you're pedaling all the time on a unicycle doesn't mean
    there is a lot more energy required. A lot of that time can be spent
    pedaling with very little resistance. You're basically in granny gear
    on a bike. That's not necessarily using a lot of energy even though
    your legs are moving.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Team Dirty Muni
    Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
    'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
    'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  3. john_childs said:

    Just because you're pedaling all the time on a unicycle doesn't mean
    there is a lot more energy required. A lot of that time can be spent
    pedaling with very little resistance. You're basically in granny gear
    on a bike. That's not necessarily using a lot of energy even though
    your legs are moving.

    It may not be using a lot of *force*, but it's certainly using a lot of
    *energy*. There is no question in my mind that bicycling and
    unicycling the same *distance* requires more work on the unicycle,
    regardless of the terrain or type of unicycle. I also believe that in
    general, unicycling for a specified *period of time* over a specified
    type of terrain is more fatiguing than bicycling for the same period of
    time over the same terrain. When I'm in shape, I can come back from a
    seven-hour, 100-mile bike ride and not be particularly fatigued; if I
    spend seven hours on a unicycle, I am wiped out, and I can't even
    contemplate riding 100 miles on a unicycle.

    There is one way that bicycling can be a better workout than
    unicycling; if your goal is to get your heart rate to a certain level
    and keep it there, bicycling will work better than unicycling, because
    you can adjust your gearing to control the amount of work you're doing
    at any given time, while on a unicycle you'll have peaks and valleys
    based on the terrain.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  4. AscenXion said:

    I basically disagree with everything you said. I get a better workout
    on a uni than on a bike no matter what. If it's flat, push harder. I'm
    also able to pedal and keep my balance on a uni when I can't even stand
    on my own two feet. And I've only been unicycling for 4 months total.
    So, the answer to the OP is, HELL YES! The answer to you, try harder.

    You sure like to argue, but you ain't got the knack to pick up ideas
    any too quick. One newbie just wrote in asking why he is so tired
    (after 9 days fo practice). It looks to me like 4 months just might
    not be enough for you...

    Oh, yeah. It is more than a little amusing to see a newbie advising
    JC to try harder. Thanks for the amusement.

    Ken

  5. tholub said:

    There is one way that bicycling can be a better workout than unicycling;
    if your goal is to get your heart rate to a certain level and keep it
    there, bicycling will work better than unicycling, because you can
    adjust your gearing to control the amount of work you're doing at any
    given time, while on a unicycle you'll have peaks and valleys based on
    the terrain.

    If you have a Guni you can expand the terrain possibilities and still
    keep your heart rate up. You may only have two gears, but that is
    better than the one granny gear of most unicycles (the exception being
    a Corker w/ 125 mm cranks).

    --
    skilewis74
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  6. I agree with everything John said, and was going to post something
    similar but then had to go away and he posted what I was going to say
    in the meantime.

    I've been a MTBker, Roadbiker and Unicyclist, and I feel far more tired
    after riding the equivalent amount of time on a bike than I do on a
    unicycle. Of course, it's terrain dependent, so I won't repeat what
    John said.

    There's a local 50km bike race I've done about 8 or 9 times. The last
    three which I did on a MUNI were by far the easiest (although slightly
    slower), and I was far less knackered at the end. I didn't cramp up
    either, which I always seem to do when I ride my bike on this
    particular race.

    Also I've done a couple of 12hr MTB races (on both MUni and MTB)- I
    feel much more hammered after doing it on a bike. And the 320km
    roadbike race I did last year (taking about 11hrs), was much more
    tiring than any of the 12hr+/24hr rides I've done on a Unicycle.

    When you first learn to ride, then that would probably be the only time
    that it's more tiring to ride a unicycle, because you're expending a
    lot of energy trying to keep your balance.

    Ken

    --
    GizmoDuck

    'SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
    'Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)

    The Monguni tour 2008....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  7. tholub said:

    When I'm in shape, I can come back from a seven-hour, 100-mile bike ride
    and not be particularly fatigued; if I spend seven hours on a unicycle,
    I am wiped out, and I can't even contemplate riding 100 miles on a
    unicycle.

    From experience of riding 100miles a couple of times on a unicycle, I
    didn't feel too bad at the finish, could probably have ridden further.
    After an equivalent 8hr's or so spent on a bike over same terrain
    (second lap of the above 320km bike race), I felt really terrible and
    almost had to pull out, except I was miles from anywhere. And when I
    finally got to the finish I coughed up blood.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    'SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
    'Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)

    The Monguni tour 2008....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  8. GizmoDuck said:

    From experience of riding 100miles a couple of times on a unicycle, I
    didn't feel too bad at the finish, could probably have ridden further.
    After an equivalent 8hr's or so spent on a bike over same terrain
    (second lap of the above 320km bike race), I felt really terrible and
    almost had to pull out, except I was miles from anywhere. And when I
    finally got to the finish I coughed up blood.

    I think for the first couple of years of uni riding it's more effort
    everywhere. Nowadays I feel it's a bit more effort off road, but less
    on road.

    I've done 50 miles on a road bike as fast as I can god that hurt
    compared to riding 50 miles on the coker. I can average about twice as
    fast on the bike over that distance. Obviously if I chilled out and
    rode at coker speed it'd be different, but if I was gonna do that I'd
    have taken the coker anyway.

    Muni riding though, rides involving a lot of downhilling in particular
    are still way way more tiring for me than on a bike. I've gone on easy
    25 mile rides with groups of bike riders, and hardly been able to walk
    afterwards cos it was so much effort trying to keep up and racing them
    up the hills.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  9. joemarshall said:

    I've done 50 miles on a road bike as fast as I can go that hurt
    compared to riding 50 miles on the coker. I can average about twice as
    fast on the bike over that distance. Obviously if I chilled out and
    rode at coker speed it'd be different, but if I was gonna do that I'd
    have taken the coker anyway.

    I think this phenomenon (and the one Ken mentions) is that it's not
    possible to go "as fast as you can go" on a unicycle; your speed is
    limited by mechanics, not by VO2max. So if you're putting out 100%
    effort on a bike, it will be more strenuous than a unicycle.

    But, you can put out 80-90% effort on a bike and still be both way
    faster than a unicycle and use less energy.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  10. I think the effort spent depends alot on the terrain. I'm an avid road
    biker and Muni rider. I can blaze away on the road bike and keep my
    heart rate way up there, and burn my legs to ashes on climbs. But so
    car as total body workout goes, trying to clean those long steep rocky
    sections on the trails up in Santa Barbara, and places like it--that
    thrashes me more than anything I've ever exprienced on a bike. Even my
    shoes are soaked through after an hour, and all that back presuring
    makes it supercardio as well. And having to keep all that core body
    tension really works the whole corpus something fierce.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  11. Muni can be very tiring and good excersise. but if you want a
    thighburner, coker up steep hills over and over again.

    --
    smcmorrow

    \"It's knot gonna make it!\" -snuffiluffigus
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    smcmorrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10881
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  12. cline said:
    AscenXion said:

    I basically disagree with everything you said. I get a better


    workout

    Quoted message said:

    on a uni than on a bike no matter what. If it's flat, push harder.


    I'm

    Quoted message said:

    also able to pedal and keep my balance on a uni when I can't even


    stand

    Quoted message said:

    on my own two feet. And I've only been unicycling for 4 months


    total.

    Quoted message said:

    So, the answer to the OP is, HELL YES! The answer to you, try


    harder.

    You sure like to argue, but you ain't got the knack to pick up ideas
    any too quick. One newbie just wrote in asking why he is so tired
    (after 9 days fo practice). It looks to me like 4 months just might
    not be enough for you...

    Oh, yeah. It is more than a little amusing to see a newbie advising
    JC to try harder. Thanks for the amusement.

    Ken

    I appreciate that English doesn't appear to be your first language.
    But, if you're going to attempt to argue a point, perhaps you should
    use the translation button a little better.

    --
    AscenXion

    *\ /*
    */ \*

    *SingleTrak'n*
    *Order Of One [O³]*

    Quoted message said:

    *You've shown your true face, AscenXion, and revealed that only an
    exclusive order of people can exist in your world where you are an
    intolerant god.*


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  13. GizmoDuck said:

    I agree with everything John said, and was going to post something
    similar but then had to go away and he posted what I was going to say
    in the meantime.

    I've been a MTBker, Roadbiker and Unicyclist, and I feel far more tired
    after riding the equivalent amount of time on a bike than I do on a
    unicycle. Of course, it's terrain dependent, so I won't repeat what
    John said.

    There's a local 50km bike race I've done about 8 or 9 times. The last
    three which I did on a MUNI were by far the easiest (although slightly
    slower), and I was far less knackered at the end. I didn't cramp up
    either, which I always seem to do when I ride my bike on this
    particular race.

    Also I've done a couple of 12hr MTB races (on both MUni and MTB)- I
    feel much more hammered after doing it on a bike. And the 320km
    roadbike race I did last year (taking about 11hrs), was much more
    tiring than any of the 12hr+/24hr rides I've done on a Unicycle.

    When you first learn to ride, then that would probably be the only time
    that it's more tiring to ride a unicycle, because you're expending a
    lot of energy trying to keep your balance.

    Ken

    Then perhaps you really are Gizmo Duck. 😉

    --
    AscenXion

    *\ /*
    */ \*

    *SingleTrak'n*
    *Order Of One [O³]*

    Quoted message said:

    *You've shown your true face, AscenXion, and revealed that only an
    exclusive order of people can exist in your world where you are an
    intolerant god.*


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  14. joemarshall said:

    I can average about twice as fast on the bike over that distance.
    Obviously if I chilled out and rode at coker speed it'd be different,
    but if I was gonna do that I'd have taken the coker anyway.

    Joe

    I believe that is the point that you few are missing. If you get more
    tired on a bike than on a uni, it's only because you are pushing
    yourselves WAY harder on the bike than on the uni. You THINK that
    uniing is less tiresome, but you don't realize that it's only cuz
    you're not pushing yourselves. Which is why I said that John needs to
    push himself more.

    --
    AscenXion

    *\ /*
    */ \*

    *SingleTrak'n*
    *Order Of One [O³]*

    Quoted message said:

    *You've shown your true face, AscenXion, and revealed that only an
    exclusive order of people can exist in your world where you are an
    intolerant god.*


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AscenXion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12303
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  15. AscenXion said:

    I believe that is the point that you few are missing. If you get more
    tired on a bike than on a uni, it's only because you are pushing
    yourselves WAY harder on the bike than on the uni. You THINK that
    uniing is less tiresome, but you don't realize that it's only cuz
    you're not pushing yourselves. Which is why I said that John needs to
    push himself more.

    The point we're making is that It's not possible to push yourself that
    hard on a road unicycle once you're actually good at riding it, whereas
    on a bike it's pretty straightforward.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joemarshall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  16. And I have been known to push myself pretty hard on a unicycle 😠

    --
    GizmoDuck

    'SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
    'Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)

    The Monguni tour 2008....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/53425

  17. AscenXion said:
    cline said:

    you ain't got the knack to pick up ideas any too quick.

    I appreciate that English doesn't appear to be your first language.
    But, if you're going to attempt to argue a point, perhaps you should
    use the translation button a little better.

    Someone who actually talks that way would certainly be a native
    (American) English speaker. But of course, you couldn't come up with
    a better response.

    Since you are too dense to pick up on sarcasm, I was insulting you by
    using crude language to mockingly suggest that you might unable to
    understand proper language. In case you can't tell, I also insulted
    you again by stating my mock belief that you are too stupid to infer
    the nationality of the natural speaker of that phrase.

    Despite the insults, Ascenxion, I harbor no resentment for you. How
    about joining in the discussion in a way that shows a little respect
    for participants that actually know a lot more about the subject than
    you do? That's not an unreasonable request, is it?

    Ken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.