Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Dog fang necessary?

Started by Luke Forward · · Last activity · 12 posts · 956 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 June 2008
Last activity
20 June 2008
Original author
Luke Forward
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
956
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dear Rodies:
    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?
    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?

    I've just found a way to made a protector for nearly no additional
    cost and even lighter. I still need some time trying it out. I'll post
    to share with you if it survives.

  2. Quoted message said:
    Luke Forward said:

    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?
    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?
    I've just found a way to made a protector for nearly no additional
    cost and even lighter. I still need some time trying it out. I'll post
    to share with you if it survives.

    Brian Huntley said:

    You know, that first sentence made me think you were making a real
    back-wood style root beer (RB) with some strange herb called "dog
    fang."
    Now I know what to call that little overshift bumper. Thanks.

    Yeah, me too - 'dog fang'. What?
    As with Kleenex, we know them by their tradenames 'Chain Watcher' and
    'Jump Stop'. Good stuff for triples or cross setups; uncommon on a
    double road crank.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    <www.yellowjersey.org/>
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  3. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Brian Huntley said:
    Luke Forward said:

    Dear Rodies:
    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?
    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?

    I have one--wait, no, I forgot to put it back on, on my cyclocross
    bike--and I can say something even more compelling than "I think it's
    necessary:" I missed it when I didn't have it.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've just found a way to made a protector for nearly no additional
    cost and even lighter. I still need some time trying it out. I'll post
    to share with you if it survives.

    Please do.

    Quoted message said:

    You know, that first sentence made me think you were making a real
    back-wood style root beer (RB) with some strange herb called "dog
    fang."

    Now I know what to call that little overshift bumper. Thanks.

    the Deda Dog Fang is one of several anti-drop things. The N Gear Jump
    Stop does the same job and looks more elegant. I have a 3rd Eye Chain
    Watcher is the one I happen to have. It's a little bit of molded plastic
    wrapped around a hose clamp, but seems no less functional for that bit
    of elegantly improvised engineering.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CH409Z13-3Rd+Eye+Chain+Watcher+Cha
    in+Deflector.aspx

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
    "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

  4. Luke Forward said:

    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?

    For racing, it's a good thing. Necessity is a strong word, but it's a
    good thing.

    Quoted message said:

    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?

    I did, since a stock product wouldn't fit on the bike:

    http://www.jt10000.com/images/chainwatcher1.jpg
    http://www.jt10000.com/images/chainwatcher2.jpg

  5. Luke Forward said:

    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?

    The latest one I bought cost 3 euro and weighed 9 grams, not something
    I worry about.
    I sure missed having one when my triple started to throw its chain;
    The chain would get really jammed and gouge out some aluminium on the
    chainstay.
    To me a Deda Dog Fang is a cheap insurance against such accidents.

    Quoted message said:

    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?

    No.

    --
    Regards

  6. I have never used one and haven't dropped a chain on a derailleur bike
    in years. Come to think of it, that's only happened to me once or twice
    ever and when it did it was on a badly adjusted bike.

    To my observation, these were not at all necessary in the days of
    downtube shifting. The "need" has arisen with the advent of STI and
    Ergo shifting which basically are spring release triggers, allowing the
    derailleur cage to "slam" into the chain and to overshoot the inmost
    chainwheel. Shimano seems to be a bigger offender in this case than
    Campy- on club rides and in races, almost every time I saw someone drop
    a chain, they were using STI. The Ergo users rarely had this problem.

  7. Tim McNamara said:

    To my observation, these were not at all necessary in the days of
    downtube shifting. The "need" has arisen with the advent of STI and
    Ergo shifting which basically are spring release triggers, allowing the
    derailleur cage to "slam" into the chain and to overshoot the inmost
    chainwheel.

    You might be right about the cause of dropped chains, but I think
    these devices are more important with downtube levers. I used one for
    years with a down-tube front shifter. I'd drop my chain perhaps once
    every few years before that in a race, and that was enough. I didn't
    have an ideal front drivetrain though - a bit of frankenstein of
    different cranks/chainrings etc.

    With STI it's not such a problem as it's easier to shift it back up
    fast.

  8. Tim McNamara said:

    I have never used one and haven't dropped a chain on a derailleur bike
    in years.  Come to think of it, that's only happened to me once or twice
    ever and when it did it was on a badly adjusted bike.

    To my observation, these were not at all necessary in the days of
    downtube shifting.  The "need" has arisen with the advent of STI and
    Ergo shifting which basically are spring release triggers, allowing the
    derailleur cage to "slam" into the chain and to overshoot the inmost
    chainwheel.  Shimano seems to be a bigger offender in this case than
    Campy- on club rides and in races, almost every time I saw someone drop
    a chain, they were using STI.  The Ergo users rarely had this problem.

    If you have a stock double chainring set and no other
    weirdnesses in your setup, you generally don't need
    a chain watcher. Unless you race cyclocross and then you
    may want one anyway, because the chain sometimes
    gets bounced off from all the picking up and putting down.
    Also, you might want one on a road bike if you sometimes
    make shifts in a real hurry, which can happen in races or
    very irregular terrain.

    If you have a triple chainring, or if you've used non-standard
    chainrings without all the Shimano cut-down teeth, and have
    to tweak the front shifters to encourage the chain to
    disengage, they can be very helpful. I've used one on bikes
    with triples even though they had friction barend shifting.
    I also used it to help block out the granny ring during cross
    races.

    Ben

  9. On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:55:37 -0700 (PDT), Luke Forward

    may have said:

    Dear Rodies:
    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?

    Necessary? A chain is necessary. A chain watcher is a luxury. It
    can be a nice luxury, but the bike will work without it.

    Quoted message said:

    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?

    I've seen a few makeshifts both on road and other types of bike. If
    it does the job and the rider's satisfied with it, why should I care
    if it was made from two hose clamps and a piece of brazing rod?

    Quoted message said:

    I've just found a way to made a protector for nearly no additional
    cost and even lighter. I still need some time trying it out. I'll post
    to share with you if it survives.

    Y'know, if you take a little less extra time adjusting the ders than
    it takes to build the chain watcher, you just might find that you
    don't really need it. (Observation invalid in situations where the
    bike is subject to frequent treatment likely to dislodge a chain.)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  10. On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:55:37 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Luke

    Forward said:

    Dear Rodies:
    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?
    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?

    I've just found a way to made a protector for nearly no additional
    cost and even lighter. I still need some time trying it out. I'll post
    to share with you if it survives.

    Can anyone translate this into English?

    Jones

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    !Jones said:

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:55:37 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Luke

    Forward said:

    Dear Rodies:
    1. Do you think dog fang(or other similar products) is a necessity on
    your RB, even if it slightly adds weight and costs you more?
    2. Do you ever know other rodie use homemade protector?

    I've just found a way to made a protector for nearly no additional
    cost and even lighter. I still need some time trying it out. I'll post
    to share with you if it survives.

    Can anyone translate this into English?

    Read the thread back, all is explained: a Dog Fang is the brand name of
    one of several available anti-chain-drop devices. They typically strap
    to your seat tube below your front derailer, and are shaped and
    positioned so they prevent the chain from dropping off of the inside
    chainring.

    Triples, compact doubles, and bikes used in cyclocross races are
    especially prone to dropping their chain in this way.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
    "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

  12. in rec.bicycles.tech Ryan Cousineau said:

    Read the thread back, all is explained:

    I'm relieved!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.