I'm considering a large, secure domestic bike locker, I know cycle-works.comcycle-works.comOpen ↗ has them
but what do they cost? Any other suppliers?
Ta
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
UK and Europe · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
I'm considering a large, secure domestic bike locker, I know cycle-works.comcycle-works.comOpen ↗ has them
but what do they cost? Any other suppliers?
Ta
Simon said:I'm considering a large, secure domestic bike locker, I know cycle-works.comcycle-works.comOpen ↗ has them
but what do they cost? Any other suppliers?Ta
Timely question - I'm going to have to store that new bike outside. Now I know it's not ideal but I
think it's going to be inevitable.
What do you lot think of a custom built "locker" attached to my garden wall - the bike would have to
be stored vertically. Security fixings aside, would it be OK to hang the bike from a hook through
the rear wheel? On the point of security fixings what would you recommend?
Painted "park bench green" I can't convince myself it would be an asset to the frontage but I can
see no other way of storing it. At least I'd have the satisfaction of padlocking the box and then
securing it again inside (kryptonite style lock perhaps?).
"Tenex" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Simon said:I'm considering a large, secure domestic bike locker, I know cycle-works.comcycle-works.comOpen ↗ has
them but what do they cost? Any other suppliers?Ta
Timely question - I'm going to have to store that new bike outside. Now I know it's not ideal but
I think it's going to be inevitable.What do you lot think of a custom built "locker" attached to my garden wall - the bike would have
to be stored vertically. Security fixings
aside,
Quoted message said:would it be OK to hang the bike from a hook through the rear wheel? On
the
Quoted message said:point of security fixings what would you recommend?
Painted "park bench green" I can't convince myself it would be an asset to the frontage but I can
see no other way of storing it. At least I'd have the satisfaction of padlocking the box and then
securing it again inside (kryptonite style lock perhaps?).
=============
I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front of my
house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I added a
steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I notified my
house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at little or no
extra cost.
You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on two
of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and easy and
does no harm to bike or wall.
Cic.
Cicero said:=============
I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front of
my house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I added
a steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I notified
my house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at little or no
extra cost.You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on two
of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and easy
and does no harm to bike or wall.Cic.
What I have in mind is a -vertical- "cupboard" as narrow as possible as it will attach to a side
wall abutting the house (front garden falls away steeply and this would be at the bottom). So I'd
like to make it as slim as possible say 15-18" (?). I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain
it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways - if that makes sense?) and hang the bike from
the rear wheel. Putting anchors for security in the wall shouldn't be a problem together with a
padlock outside.
Still think it's viable/OK?
Tenex said:Cicero said:=============
I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front of
my house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I added
a steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I notified
my house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at little or
no extra cost.You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on
two of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and
easy and does no harm to bike or wall.Cic.
What I have in mind is a -vertical- "cupboard" as narrow as possible as it will attach to a side
wall abutting the house (front garden falls away steeply and this would be at the bottom). So I'd
like to make it as slim as possible say 15-18" (?). I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and
chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways - if that makes sense?) and hang the bike
from the rear wheel. Putting anchors for security in the wall shouldn't be a problem together with
a padlock outside.Still think it's viable/OK?
Yup .. I hang three bikes up, two by their rear wheels, one by it's front wheel, and none have
suffered any problems at all.
--
Completed 1705 Seti work units in 12954 hours setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edusetiathome.ssl.berkeley.eduOpen ↗
PS, Extra Smileys in my posts are to bug K Man .. 😉
"Tenex" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Cicero said:=============
I had a small shed made to measure by a local shed maker. It sits on a paved area at the front
of my house and it's painted to blend in with the house colour. It cost me about £100-00 and I
added a steel security bar on the floor to which I can secure the trike using a cable lock. I
notified my house insurance company and they added a clause to my policy to cover the trike at
little or no extra cost.You can buy 'utility' hooks at Focus which attach to a wall or door. My mountain bike hangs on
two of these by the handle bars with the saddle and handle bars facing the wall. It's quick and
easy and does no harm to bike or wall.Cic.
What I have in mind is a -vertical- "cupboard" as narrow as possible as it will attach to a side
wall abutting the house (front garden falls away steeply and this would be at the bottom). So I'd
like to make it as slim
as
Quoted message said:possible say 15-18" (?). I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain
it
Quoted message said:with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways - if that makes sense?) and hang the bike from the
rear wheel. Putting anchors for security in the
wall
Quoted message said:shouldn't be a problem together with a padlock outside.
Still think it's viable/OK?
==============
Yes, it's certainly viable. What we're discussing is after all only an unusually shaped shed. I
believe B&Q sell an upright garden store made from plastic which you might be able to use. The only
minor drawback with your requirements is having to remove / refit the front wheel every time. Are
there such things as folding handlebars which (if they exist) would allow you to hang the bike
without dismantling anything?
Cic.
Cicero said:==============
Yes, it's certainly viable. What we're discussing is after all only an unusually shaped shed. I
believe B&Q sell an upright garden store made from plastic which you might be able to use. The
only minor drawback with your requirements is having to remove / refit the front wheel every time.
Are there such things as folding handlebars which (if they exist) would allow you to hang the bike
without dismantling anything?Cic.
Don't know, maybe worth a look. Thanks to you and Paul for the feedback.
You're right, B&Q do have some but the wall store is only a metre tall and shiplap. The nice
plastic ones are floor mounted and therefore no good. If anyone knows of a cheap wall mounted one
let me know!
"Tenex" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways
- if that makes sense?)
Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem a bit and turn the bars
sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel involves a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it
involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few turns, releasing the cable from the brake
calipers and lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with an
allen key could be quicker.
Rich
Richard Goodman said:"Tenex" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars sideways
- if that makes sense?)Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem a bit and turn the bars
sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel involves a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it
involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few turns, releasing the cable from the brake
calipers and lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with
an allen key could be quicker.Rich
Good point. I tried floating the idea last night of hanging the bike on the kitchen wall - there is
an 11' ceiling height after all and as you can imagine it's not being used. Lead and ballon are two
words that may be used to describe the response..... Some people.
Tenex said:Richard Goodman said:"Tenex" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars
sideways - if that makes sense?)Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem a bit and turn the bars
sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel involves a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it
involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few turns, releasing the cable from the brake
calipers and lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with
an allen key could be quicker.Rich
Good point. I tried floating the idea last night of hanging the bike on the kitchen wall - there
is an 11' ceiling height after all and as you can imagine it's not being used. Lead and ballon are
two words that may be used to describe the response..... Some people.
Perhaps a winch, such as used in days of yore for washing lines indoors, may help get the bike above
eye-line .. 😉
Of course, there are various other uses for such a device, but that's maybe best left to the
imagination .. 😉
--
Completed 1708 Seti work units in 12974 hours setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edusetiathome.ssl.berkeley.eduOpen ↗
Quoted message said:Perhaps a winch, such as used in days of yore for washing lines indoors, may help get the bike
above eye-line .. 😉
No need I can reach ;-)
... and I'd be hanging it upside down so no doubt the bars would get used for hanging
something else.....
"Richard Goodman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:"Tenex" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I expect I'll pop off the front wheel and chain it with the rear (so I can turn the bars
sideways - if that makes sense?)Alternatively to poping off the front wheel you could loosen off the stem
a
Quoted message said:bit and turn the bars sideways that way. I find poping off a wheel
involves
Quoted message said:a bit more than releasing a QR (on mine it involves unscrewing the other side of the QR a few
turns, releasing the cable from the brake calipers
and
Quoted message said:lifting/juggling the bike to get the axle out). Loosening off a couple of bolts with an allen key
could be quicker.Rich
I've fitted a couple of these for peeps who need to store bikes in a corridor: x-fix.nlx-fix.nlOpen ↗
There is some English on the site if you look carefully and I got them to mail to me after an email
and sending Euro notes. (My bank wanted more for the transfer than the cost of the part) Ian
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.