UK and Europe · Public discussion

Don't Do Bike Maintinance While Drinking...

Started by Bob · · Last activity · 18 posts · 385 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
5 November 2007
Last activity
8 November 2007
Original author
Bob
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
385
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ....or you'll end up wiring up the front gear leaver to the rear
    derailleur and the rear gear lever to the front derailleur. It would
    have been fine if I hadn't then cut the cables to length before
    realising what I'd done.

    Anyone know how easy it will be to switch the cables over between
    the trigger shifters...?

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  2. Bob said:

    ...or you'll end up wiring up the front gear leaver to the rear
    derailleur and the rear gear lever to the front derailleur. It would
    have been fine if I hadn't then cut the cables to length before
    realising what I'd done.

    Anyone know how easy it will be to switch the cables over between
    the trigger shifters...?

    Cheers,


    If the ends are not frayed it shouldn't be too bad. But you might need a
    drink first to steady your hand 😉
    If the ends are frayed you'll only need a new long cable for the rear.

    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  3. Bob said:

    ...or you'll end up wiring up the front gear leaver to the rear
    derailleur and the rear gear lever to the front derailleur. It would
    have been fine if I hadn't then cut the cables to length before
    realising what I'd done.

    Anyone know how easy it will be to switch the cables over between
    the trigger shifters...?

    Cheers,

    I take it that this is a MTB / hybrid, where the gear cable outers are
    not wrapped in by bar tape. Evidently, your cable outers will also be
    going to the wrong place, but they should be simple to swap over
    without further shortening. It would be a pity if your brake cable
    routing got in the way of just flipping them over.

    David Lloyd

  4. David Lloyd wrote:

    [snipped...]

    Quoted message said:

    I take it that this is a MTB / hybrid, where the gear cable outers are
    not wrapped in by bar tape. Evidently, your cable outers will also be
    going to the wrong place, but they should be simple to swap over
    without further shortening. It would be a pity if your brake cable
    routing got in the way of just flipping them over.

    Yes it's a MTB I've adjusted for commuting on. The problem is that the
    cables disappear into the trigger housing and I haven't a clue how to
    get at that end of things...

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun


  5. Quoted message said:


    Yes it's a MTB I've adjusted for commuting on. The problem is that the
    cables disappear into the trigger housing and I haven't a clue how to
    get at that end of things...

    Is there a big plastic screw somewhere on the housing in line with the
    outer cable? If so, undo it, and it will expose the inner cable
    nipple (attached to the inner cable) that is holding it in place.
    Just push the cable through from the other end to pop it out, then
    grab the nipple and pull the inner cable all the way out.

    Duncan

  6. Bob said:

    David Lloyd wrote:

    [snipped...]

    Quoted message said:

    I take it that this is a MTB / hybrid, where the gear cable outers are
    not wrapped in by bar tape. Evidently, your cable outers will also be
    going to the wrong place, but they should be simple to swap over
    without further shortening. It would be a pity if your brake cable
    routing got in the way of just flipping them over.

    Yes it's a MTB I've adjusted for commuting on. The problem is that the
    cables disappear into the trigger housing and I haven't a clue how to
    get at that end of things...

    Cheers,


    as with nearly any shifter (Some gripshifts excluded): release the
    shifter until all cable is reeled out . Opposite the cable entrance in a
    straight line is a hole where the head of the cable will pop out if you
    push the inner wire through. On fancy models the exit port is sometimes
    covered with a plug

    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, ikmotgeenspam@m-
    gineering.nl says...

    Quoted message said:


    as with nearly any shifter (Some gripshifts excluded): release the
    shifter until all cable is reeled out . Opposite the cable entrance in a
    straight line is a hole where the head of the cable will pop out if you
    push the inner wire through. On fancy models the exit port is sometimes
    covered with a plug

    And dip the ends of the cables in a spot of superglue before pulling
    them out so they don't fray and create those frustrating bits of sticky
    out wire that catch in the housing when you try to feed them back.

    --
    Tony

    " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    Bertrand Russell

  8. Tony Raven said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, ikmotgeenspam@m-
    gineering.nl says...

    Quoted message said:

    as with nearly any shifter (Some gripshifts excluded): release the
    shifter until all cable is reeled out . Opposite the cable entrance in a
    straight line is a hole where the head of the cable will pop out if you
    push the inner wire through. On fancy models the exit port is sometimes
    covered with a plug

    And dip the ends of the cables in a spot of superglue before pulling
    them out so they don't fray and create those frustrating bits of sticky
    out wire that catch in the housing when you try to feed them back.

    Ooo, good tip, I'll have to try not to super glue my fingers together
    though. That kind of thing has a habit of happening... ;-)

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  9. M-gineering wrote:

    [snipped...]

    Quoted message said:

    as with nearly any shifter (Some gripshifts excluded): release the
    shifter until all cable is reeled out . Opposite the cable entrance in a
    straight line is a hole where the head of the cable will pop out if you
    push the inner wire through. On fancy models the exit port is sometimes
    covered with a plug

    Well what do you know, there indeed was a hole. So I started drinking
    and changed the cables without a problem. The Rear derailleur shifts
    perfectly, the front wont shift at all.

    The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!

    My road bike is a a breeze to adjust, this thing is a total nightmare,
    anyone got any tips for getting front derailleurs working...?

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  10. Bob said:


    The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!

    daft mechanic more likely😉 With a ball-end allenwrench you won't have
    much problems getting at the bolt. Adjust the cable tension with the
    barreladjuster at the lever

    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

  11. M-gineering said:
    Bob said:


    The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!

    daft mechanic more likely😉

    Most likely... ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    With a ball-end allenwrench you won't have much problems getting at
    the bolt. Adjust the cable tension with the barrel adjuster at the
    lever

    My other bike's front derailleur is easily accessible and adjustable
    without having to wedge the allen key through the front chain rings.
    Off to the LBS for a new bottom bracket, will ask their advice.

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!


    That seems unlikely - pictures?

  13. Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!

    That seems unlikely - pictures?

    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00086.JPG
    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00088.JPG

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!

    That seems unlikely - pictures?

    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00086.JPG
    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00088.JPG


    Surely you can get in there with a short angled Allen key?

  15. Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...
    > The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    > cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    > crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!

    That seems unlikely - pictures?

    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00086.JPG
    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00088.JPG


    Surely you can get in there with a short angled Allen key?

    When the derailleur is out on the big ring I would probably be able to.
    When it's on the inside ring, I doubt it. Totally daft design.

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Rob Morley wrote:
    > In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    > [email hidden] says...
    >> The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    >> cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    >> crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!
    >
    > That seems unlikely - pictures?

    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00086.JPG
    http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00088.JPG


    Surely you can get in there with a short angled Allen key?

    When the derailleur is out on the big ring I would probably be able to.
    When it's on the inside ring, I doubt it. Totally daft design.


    How about if you fit a hex head bolt?

  17. Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Rob Morley said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    [email hidden] says...
    > Rob Morley wrote:
    >> In article <[email hidden]>, Bob
    >> [email hidden] says...
    >>> The bleeding bolt thing that holds the wire is behind the derailleur
    >>> cadge and front chain rings. So I have to take the front right side
    >>> crank off to adjust it. What sort of daft design is that!?!
    >>
    >> That seems unlikely - pictures?
    >
    > http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00086.JPG
    > http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/DSC00088.JPG
    >
    Surely you can get in there with a short angled Allen key?


    When the derailleur is out on the big ring I would probably be able to.
    When it's on the inside ring, I doubt it. Totally daft design.


    How about if you fit a hex head bolt?

    Then it all depends on the position of the cage, as the bolt moves with
    rest of the cage. I was in the LBS at lunch and totally forgot to ask
    about it, damn.

    Cheers,

    --
    bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
    with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
    -- Wernher von Braun

  18. "Bob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...or you'll end up wiring up the front gear leaver to the rear
    derailleur and the rear gear lever to the front derailleur. It would
    have been fine if I hadn't then cut the cables to length before
    realising what I'd done.

    Anyone know how easy it will be to switch the cables over between
    the trigger shifters...?

    I originally read this as "rear mech to front brake lever, and front mech to
    rear brake lever" I reckon that'd be far more impressive. Imagine how
    quickly you could shoot up and down the gears!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.