Doug Freese said:
<[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:Quoted message said:The other guys seemed to do fine without water.
at that one stop. they may have grabbed water at other stops...we
just
don't have the photographic record of the other stops & the leaders.
absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. perhaps the top 10 or
50 finishers hydrated on course at some point...who knows...Quoted message said:Out of the four
guys in the lead pack, which one has the least experience ?Are you suggesting those that drink are inexpereinced? That's a
stretch.
No, I'm just suggesting that canonizing this guy as some sort of
"gold standard" because he's fast, is misguided. He's fast, but he's
also very young. I have met very talented young runners who didn't
know all that much -- and why should they know much more than a slower
runner with comparable experience ?
Of course in the case of a truly elite guy like Alan Webb, a typical
road racer simply doesn't have comparable experience (racing a tactical
mile where everyone's PR is +- 1 seconds is not something most of us
experience).
I would say that if you're going to hydrate in a race shorter than
30 minutes, you had better do it quickly. Note that this guy is near
the end of the cup and hasn't lost ground to the pack. So he's giving
roughly zero distance to take in the fluid.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:The guy that finished second in the race.
I hope it is not being suggested that if he had not drank some water he
would have finished first?
I don't think he's suggesting that.
Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/