Donnie to do NY Marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Donovan Rebbechi, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. I've sent email to Bob Glover and told him I'm doing the NY marathon, so
    having given him my word, I'm irreversably in. I don't really care for setting
    time goals since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need to
    have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten Half
    to gauge where I am.

    At the end of the day, I decided that the real reason I haven't yet run a fast
    10k time this year is because of poor planning -- I didn't have a good
    understanding of how the New Jersey racing schedule works, so I didn't enter
    the right races (there were 3 premium 10k NJ races in Spring, I entered none
    of them). This resulted in both missing some good races and entering a
    poorly organised race (long course, wrong times. My official time is 39:30). I
    don't think botching my 10k racing schedule is a good reason to skip the
    marathon. I'm still hoping for a good run, sub 37 at least, at the Joe K in
    December.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    Tags:

  2. Lanceandrew

    Lanceandrew Guest

    can i take a wee bit of credit for tipping the scales on this donnie? little
    bit of peer pressure never hurts :)

    glad you're "down". having said that, i expect nothing less than a top 200
    finish out of you (hee hee)....i'm talking 180th-200th place, male runners,
    2:47-2:49.

    then on to Boston!

  3. On 2004-10-12, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
    > can i take a wee bit of credit for tipping the scales on this donnie? little
    > bit of peer pressure never hurts :)
    >
    > glad you're "down". having said that, i expect nothing less than a top 200
    > finish out of you (hee hee)....i'm talking 180th-200th place, male runners,
    > 2:47-2:49.

    As you're no doubt aware, setting lofty goals for the marathon is a risky
    proposition. Most of my teammates don't match the same WAVA scores in the
    marathon as in shorter races. I'm more concerned about running an even (or
    negative splits) race *cough* and not *cough* *cough* blowing up than I am
    about going sub 2:50. Still haven't given myself a time goal, and probably
    won't until after Staten.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Umm how'd you get in so late, or were you lotteried and registered all along
    :) or was it *special* connections? I know of a guy who waited 3 years to
    get in. In any case have fun and good luck among those throngs, who knows
    they might be helpful to draft out the wind on the VN bridge.

    - Tony

  5. On 2004-10-12, Tony <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Umm how'd you get in so late, or were you lotteried and registered all along

    I was registered all along. Anyone who runs 9 of the local races is eligible.

    >:) or was it *special* connections? I know of a guy who waited 3 years to
    > get in.

    The "9 races" route makes it pretty easy for local runners to get in.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi wrote in message ...
    >On 2004-10-12, Tony <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Umm how'd you get in so late, or were you lotteried and registered all

    along

    >I was registered all along. Anyone who runs 9 of the local races is

    eligible.

    >>:) or was it *special* connections? I know of a guy who waited 3 years to
    >> get in.

    >The "9 races" route makes it pretty easy for local runners to get in.

    9 races huh, good to know. I'll remember that for the future. Now you can
    put those 60-70+ weeks to work, would be a shame to waste all that on a 10k
    :)

    - Tony

  7. steve common

    steve common Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've sent email to Bob Glover and told him I'm doing the NY marathon, so
    >having given him my word, I'm irreversably in.

    Good :)

    >I don't really care for setting
    >time goals

    Also good.

    > since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need to
    >have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten Half
    >to gauge where I am.

    Good again.

    Enjoy!

  8. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've sent email to Bob Glover and told him I'm doing the NY marathon, so
    > having given him my word, I'm irreversably in. I don't really care for
    > setting
    > time goals since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need
    > have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten
    > Half
    > to gauge where I am.
    >
    > At the end of the day, I decided that the real reason I haven't yet run a
    > fast
    > 10k time this year is because of poor planning -- I didn't have a good
    > understanding of how the New Jersey racing schedule works, so I didn't
    > enter
    > the right races (there were 3 premium 10k NJ races in Spring, I entered
    > none
    > of them). This resulted in both missing some good races and entering a
    > poorly organised race (long course, wrong times. My official time is
    > 39:30). I
    > don't think botching my 10k racing schedule is a good reason to skip the
    > marathon. I'm still hoping for a good run, sub 37 at least, at the Joe K
    > in
    > December.

    Good luck, Donovan. You've been doing some serious
    mileage so I know you will do well. I don't even match
    your numbers if I pretend my kilometres are miles, and
    that's been the case for a couple months.

    Regardless of your time, the first one is always very
    special. The length of the race simply makes it that way.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton ON)
    www.absolutelyaccurate.com

  9. Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've sent email to Bob Glover and told him I'm doing the NY marathon, so
    > having given him my word, I'm irreversably in. I don't really care for setting
    > time goals since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need to
    > have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten Half
    > to gauge where I am.
    >
    > At the end of the day, I decided that the real reason I haven't yet run a fast
    > 10k time this year is because of poor planning -- I didn't have a good
    > understanding of how the New Jersey racing schedule works, so I didn't enter
    > the right races (there were 3 premium 10k NJ races in Spring, I entered none
    > of them). This resulted in both missing some good races and entering a
    > poorly organised race (long course, wrong times. My official time is 39:30). I
    > don't think botching my 10k racing schedule is a good reason to skip the
    > marathon. I'm still hoping for a good run, sub 37 at least, at the Joe K in
    > December.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Lets face it old friend, you're just a dumbass.

    DF

  10. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    Glad you're on board. (Hey, did I call it from your training log, or
    what???)

    My advice, which is consistent with your goal of just getting something up
    there that's respectable, is to take your favorite prediction, add a few
    minutes, and go out at that pace.

    If you blow up, be a mensch and finish anyway.

    You'll always remember your first one. (feel free to chime in, VirginiaZ)

    -- Dan

  11. Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I've sent email to Bob Glover and told him I'm doing the NY marathon, so
    > having given him my word, I'm irreversably in. I don't really care for setting
    > time goals since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need to
    > have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten Half
    > to gauge where I am.

    I won´t take any credit for this sea change; I know
    this is what you really wanted to do all along!

    FWIW Í´ve just read about a slightly different kind
    of prediction formula (or, actually, a set of formulae)
    which you might find of some interest and, possibly,
    of some use:

    http://users.erols.com/jimsue/running/marathoning/lessons_from_the_past.htm

    (The guy who gave the pointer ran a 2:53:17 or 61s slower
    than the average of the eight predictions. Which is to
    say it worked for him or that it was a lucky coincidence...)

    Anders

  12. << prediction formula (or, actually, a set of formulae)
    which you might find of some interest and, possibly,
    of some use:

    http://users.erols.com/jimsue/running/marathoning/lessons_from_the_past.htm >>

    This makes no sense to me.
    What am I missing?
    Thanks for your insight.

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  13. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Good luck for the marathon. Your training should see you run a strong race.

    Holding back in the 1st half of the race can be tough - you feel it's
    too easy, but it
    pays off at the end of the race.

    Anthony.

  14. Mike Tennent

    Mike Tennent Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't really care for setting
    >time goals
    > since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need to
    >have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten Half
    >to gauge where I am.

    A fellow club member, Matt, who was a good 10K runner in college
    (scholarship to Western Kentucky), decided he'd run his first marathon
    after he turned 40 two years ago.

    Unfortunately he set a rather unrealistic time goal (BQ time) and
    spent the last two years dropping out of every marathon he entered
    because he wasn't happy with his pace. Once he dropped out in the
    first mile!

    Nothing we said could convince him that he just needed to back off,
    finish one, and then worry about PR's and BQ. He was going to run
    3:20, period.

    Finally, last week he completed one, running with a friend who only
    wanted to run about a 4 hour race. Matt ran with him most of the way,
    then picked up the pace, finishing in 3:42.

    Hopefully the monkey is off his back and he can focus on what he needs
    to do to actually reach his goal.

    I hope you stick with your approach.

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  15. On 2004-10-13, Mike Tennent <[email protected]ientel.net> wrote:

    > Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't really care for setting
    >>time goals
    >> since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need to
    >>have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten Half
    >>to gauge where I am.

    > A fellow club member, Matt, who was a good 10K runner in college
    > (scholarship to Western Kentucky), decided he'd run his first marathon
    > after he turned 40 two years ago.
    >
    > Unfortunately he set a rather unrealistic time goal (BQ time) and
    > spent the last two years dropping out of every marathon he entered
    > because he wasn't happy with his pace. Once he dropped out in the
    > first mile!
    >
    > Nothing we said could convince him that he just needed to back off,
    > finish one, and then worry about PR's and BQ. He was going to run
    > 3:20, period.
    >
    > Finally, last week he completed one, running with a friend who only
    > wanted to run about a 4 hour race. Matt ran with him most of the way,
    > then picked up the pace, finishing in 3:42.
    >
    > Hopefully the monkey is off his back and he can focus on what he needs
    > to do to actually reach his goal.
    >
    > I hope you stick with your approach.

    I've had teammates who started on pace for 3hrs or so and slugged out the
    last 6 at a 9:00 pace. That really takes guts. The resulting time wasn't that
    great, but not terrible either, and it's a target for next time. Yes, I'm
    going to finish it as long as I'm not injured or (literally) dying.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  16. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've sent email to Bob Glover and told him I'm doing the NY marathon, so
    > having given him my word, I'm irreversably in. I don't really care for setting
    > time goals since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll need to
    > have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming Staten Half
    > to gauge where I am.

    I think all of us (who were paying attention) believed this would
    happen sooner rather than later. Congratulations. I look forward to
    your time prediction (goal?) which I assume you will post after your
    half.

    I think you are going to be very happy with your results. You are not
    afraid to pay the price, and that is, more than anything else I know
    of, a great predictor of success. Donovan, though I have run 2
    marathons, you are in a different league than I, so take my advice
    with all kinds of salt. Set your goal where you really believe you
    will/can run. Don't worry about anybody else's expectations. You are
    running this race for your own reasons, and, knowing what I know of
    you, they have nothing to do with the rest of us. So set your goal
    and meet it (or not). In any event, except for a couple of hours
    (maybe less) on race day, I don't think you will ever regret your
    decision.

    On an almost unrelated note, I have to say how much I appreciate your
    advice to get Glover's book and use it for training. I don't know
    that a person would need any other book for training for those
    distances at whatever pace.

    Good luck.

    Brian Jones

  17. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've sent email to Bob Glover and told him I'm doing the NY marathon,
    > so
    > having given him my word, I'm irreversably in.

    My heart be still. I think you have been quietly planning this all
    along. :)

    I don't really care for setting
    > time goals since I just want to get a result on the board -- but I'll
    > need to
    > have some idea in order to pace myself. I'll be using the upcoming
    > Staten Half
    > to gauge where I am.

    A friend shooting for his first marathon ran a 1:22 half marathon about
    6 week before race day and hit a resounding 3:11 at Steamtown. Take thre
    first half extra easy(that's not 5 sec/mile slower) and work the second
    half and finish strong. The next one you can shoot your apendage off.

    -Doug