Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Drilling holes in stem - how worried?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 17 posts · 941 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 January 2006
Last activity
28 January 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
941
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
    planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
    with a used fork I bought years ago.

    - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
    hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
    two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
    brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
    pass through.
    - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
    could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    Thanks,
    Harrison

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
    planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
    with a used fork I bought years ago.
    - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
    hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
    two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
    brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
    pass through.
    - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
    could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???
    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.
    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    If this was me I would put my weight on the stem to see if it was going to bend
    right from the start. If it didn't bend, I would continue to use the stem. I
    would check the holes to make sure any bare metal is painted. After I inserted
    the cable, I would use some silicone caulk to seal up the top hole area so that
    water does not collect in the stem. I would also inspect the area by the holes
    on a regular basis. Steel will bend before it breaks, so you should not get a
    sudden complete failure. Keep in mind this advice is worth what you paid for
    it.
    -------------
    Alex

  3. [email hidden] wrote:
    <<SNIP>>

    Quoted message said:


    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    Thanks,
    Harrison

    I have seen a setup where a guy drilled holes into a quill stem so that
    he could bolt homemade aerobars onto it.

    I would not flirt with it, but I am a project manager, by trade; I
    cannot afford optimism.

    On the other hand, if you are in the U.S., it would not seem too hard
    to find a jury that would place blame on everyone but yourself. : )

    rsquared

  4. Quoted message said:

    In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
    planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
    with a used fork I bought years ago.

    - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
    hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
    two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
    brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
    pass through.
    - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
    could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    I have seen manufacturers use drilled holes in tubular steel stems for
    cable routing without problems. If this stem was in use for a
    significant period of time before you got it, and if the usage was at
    least as strenuous as what you are likely to inflict on it, and if
    it's not showing signs of failure now, then the chances are good that
    it will be just fine. If it were my stem, I'd give it a good
    inspection, watch it carefully for a while during continued use for
    any signs of a crack starting from the holes, and not be overly
    worried. Steel generally does not fail with the alarming suddenness
    of aluminum...but *any* part may fail, even when properly made,
    pristine, unmodified and undamaged. The bottom line is that you are
    the only person who is both able to make the determination as to the
    part's acceptability and responsible if that decision is wrong, so
    it's really up to you to decide if you want to use it. I suspect that
    I'd use it if it were mine, but as I haven't seen it, I can't say more
    than that.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. Quoted message said:

    In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
    planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
    with a used fork I bought years ago.

    - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
    hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
    two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
    brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
    pass through.
    - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
    could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    'Cross riders have been drilling stems forever and mostly they don't crash and
    die. At least not from breaking stems. So use the stem.

    If you want to upgrade, the hot tip is to use a stem with a removable face and
    clamp a cable hanger of the type that dangles from a seat bolt for the rear
    canti onto a lower bolt. This gives you an adjuster and you can even use a
    v-brake noodle to get a real clean cable run with aero levers.

    Ron

  6. Quoted message said:

    In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
    planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
    with a used fork I bought years ago.

    - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
    hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
    two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
    brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
    pass through.
    - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
    could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    I wouldn't use it. If I was forced to ride with it, I'd certainly
    want to check the stem VERY regularly. New stems are cheap enough
    that it'd be one of the best investments you could possibly make - if
    only for your peace of mind.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  7. Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
    stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
    headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
    other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
    make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?
    Harrison

  8. Quoted message said:

    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
    stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
    headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
    other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
    make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

    I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
    you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...

    I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
    but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
    seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
    majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
    thus removing the need for the cable stop).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  9. Quoted message said:

    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
    stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
    headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
    other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
    make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

    I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
    you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...

    I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
    but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
    seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
    majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
    thus removing the need for the cable stop).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  10. Mark Hickey said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
    stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
    headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
    other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
    make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

    I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
    you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...

    I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
    but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
    seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
    majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
    thus removing the need for the cable stop).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

    Some riders at Paris-Roubaix last year drilled their threadless stem.
    Not sure if it's a safe practice, I guess that if the hole is very small
    it should not give problems.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000229
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000228

    Francesco

  11. Mark Hickey said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
    stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
    headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
    other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
    make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

    I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
    you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...

    I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
    but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
    seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
    majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
    thus removing the need for the cable stop).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

    Some riders at Paris-Roubaix last year drilled their threadless stem.
    Not sure if it's a safe practice, I guess that if the hole is very small
    it should not give problems.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000229
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/apr05/roubaix05/tech/?id=discovery-t-mobile/L1000228

    Francesco

  12. On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 05:47:06 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
    stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
    headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
    other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
    make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

    I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
    you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...

    I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
    but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
    seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
    majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
    thus removing the need for the cable stop).

    The 1 1/8" threadless stem that was originally fitted to my Miyata had
    a brake cable stop for the cantis it came with. The bike has a
    different fork, brakes, levers and stem now, but the old stem's around
    here somewhere.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  13. On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 05:47:06 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Further question: it seems like a
    stem would be a much better cable stop than anything that fits in the
    headset stack or clamps onto a stem bolt, as it's more rigid, and has
    other reasons to be there anyway. Are there stem manufacturers that
    make 1" threadless stems with predrilled cable stops?

    I haven't seen any of those recently (for a long time, actually)...
    you might find some on a closeout table somewhere - or perhaps Ebay...

    I did a quick check and found several models with cable thru-holes,
    but all of 'em were threaded, not threadless. I don't recall ever
    seeing a threadless stem drilled for a brake cable (since the vast
    majority of bikes had switched to V-brakes prior to going threadless,
    thus removing the need for the cable stop).

    The 1 1/8" threadless stem that was originally fitted to my Miyata had
    a brake cable stop for the cantis it came with. The bike has a
    different fork, brakes, levers and stem now, but the old stem's around
    here somewhere.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  14. Mark Hickey said:
    Quoted message said:

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    I wouldn't use it. If I was forced to ride with it, I'd certainly
    want to check the stem VERY regularly. New stems are cheap enough
    that it'd be one of the best investments you could possibly make - if
    only for your peace of mind.

    I don't see this as being as dangerous as all that. Since the stem is
    steel, failure would not be the sudden snapping in half that happens with
    aluminum. More likely you'd see any cracks developing before you were in
    danger of a face plant. Inattention do a developing problem would
    probably mean that the stem would buckle under you -- bending, but not
    breaking off.

    But, you know the value of free advice, so do what you think is right.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
    _`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
    (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  15. Mark Hickey said:
    Quoted message said:

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    I wouldn't use it. If I was forced to ride with it, I'd certainly
    want to check the stem VERY regularly. New stems are cheap enough
    that it'd be one of the best investments you could possibly make - if
    only for your peace of mind.

    I don't see this as being as dangerous as all that. Since the stem is
    steel, failure would not be the sudden snapping in half that happens with
    aluminum. More likely you'd see any cracks developing before you were in
    danger of a face plant. Inattention do a developing problem would
    probably mean that the stem would buckle under you -- bending, but not
    breaking off.

    But, you know the value of free advice, so do what you think is right.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
    _`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
    (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  16. Quoted message said:

    In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
    planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
    with a used fork I bought years ago.

    - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
    hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
    two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
    brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
    pass through.
    - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
    could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    Thanks,
    Harrison

    If your fork will accommodate it, Tektro makes an alloy bolt-on cable
    stop that bolts on to the fender hole in the crown. My LBS ordered one
    for me a few weeks ago for $10. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on
    Tektro's website, but the LBS knew what I was talking about.

    Ken

  17. Quoted message said:

    In replacing my threaded fork with a threadless on my fixed gear, I was
    planning on using a steel 1" Salsa stem I had in my parts box. It came
    with a used fork I bought years ago.

    - The good news is that I may not have to worry about using a cable
    hanger with the canti's I am putting on, as the previous owner drilled
    two holes in the stem. The hole on the topside is big enough for the
    brake housing, the hole on the underside is big enough for the cable to
    pass through.
    - The bad news is that due to these holes my stem could crack off and I
    could die because I was too cheap to buy another stem???

    My gut tells me that the steel stem is still burly enough, and since
    the most abuse the stem will take is going off of curbs now and then,
    that I am probably in the clear. But my gut has also had me overtighten
    derailler bolts, cut cable housing too short, etc etc.

    Has anyone tried this, or put any thought into the safety of this?

    Thanks,
    Harrison

    If your fork will accommodate it, Tektro makes an alloy bolt-on cable
    stop that bolts on to the fender hole in the crown. My LBS ordered one
    for me a few weeks ago for $10. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it on
    Tektro's website, but the LBS knew what I was talking about.

    Ken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.