Driver who killed cyclist told to expect jail.

boulder wrote:
> She may not have hit the
> cyclist had she not been texting,

I thought that it was established that she did hit the cyclist?

Oh, you mean MIGHT not. Sorry, may for might is my current red rag.

> but surely you cant ignore, completely,
> the law breaking cyclist....had he stopped, as he
> should, he's still alive.

Not completely, no. But he'd also, probably, still be alive if he'd
not stopped and hit or been hit by a pedestrian or another cyclist.

It's the difference between a small fine and a jail sentence - or
should be.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:14:58 +0000 someone who may be Colin McKenzie
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> but surely you cant ignore, completely,
>> the law breaking cyclist....had he stopped, as he
>> should, he's still alive.

>Not completely, no. But he'd also, probably, still be alive if he'd
>not stopped and hit or been hit by a pedestrian or another cyclist.

As I understand it the cyclist stopped at the traffic lights and
then decided to set off while they were still red. I'm sure one of
the trolls could argue from this that he should not have stopped, in
much the same way that they argue motorists not obeying the law
reduces danger.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On 3 Feb, 12:30, Paul Weaver <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 3, 9:43 am, David Hansen <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 10:11:32 +0000 someone who may be Paul Boyd
> > <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote this:-

> > >She was doing 45mph in a 30mph limit, through a junction, whilst texting
> > >on her phone.

> > Apparently she also had a long criminal career before this crash,
> > involving several cases of exceeding the speed limit.

> The fact she had been caught 3 times on that stretch of road before
> indicates she wasn't aware of her surroundings, I doubt she even knew
> what the speed limit was, or what speed she was traveling at.
>
> Had it been a pedestrian just walking, across the road, the same thing
> would have happened, but there would be no blame for crossing without
> a green man, and no complaints about a pedestrian not wearing a helmet
> (which pedestrians should do when crossing, or walking near, the road
> IMO)

and she wouldn't have got a discount on her sentence in those
circumstances. I'd have thought the cyclist's helmet would be
irrelevant because it wouldn't have made any difference to the tragic
outcome, which he contributed to by passing through the red light