Driving a cycling point home

On 2005-08-10, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> And if you want to pass on or gain local knowledge, perhaps you can
> come to the BBUG meeting tonight?

I have no idea where it is, what time it starts, and how to get there.
(The latter comes from the first. :)

On a more serious note, I do have to meet a friend tonight for a quick
install of a headlight on my metal cage. I don't know what time that
will happen; that may make it hard (if not impossible) to get there.

On 2005-08-10, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
> On 2005-08-10, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> And if you want to pass on or gain local knowledge, perhaps you can
>> come to the BBUG meeting tonight?

> I have no idea where it is, what time it starts, and how to get there.
> (The latter comes from the first. :)

Seems dutchy is not doing a very good selling job:

Second wednesday of month, at 7:30 at Swinburne Hawthorn (geez, make
me travel so far away, don't you guys!?), in room TD244.

Pizza at Saras at 6:00.

And you get there by bike, silly! :)

--
TimC
A transistor protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Theo Bekkers wrote:

>>>Wouldn't work in Perth though. It is illegal to park a motorcycle in
>>>a car bay here. But then it is also illegal to park a car in a
>>>motorcycle bay.

>>Huh? How can it be illegaL? Its a registered vehicle. It fits. It
>>would be legal to park a semi in a car bay if it fitted.

> It's quite simple really. The council makes a rule and, if you ignore it,
> they fine you. The rule is that you're not allowed to park a motorcycle in a
> car bay.
>
> Theo

Stupid bastards

You guys should protest or something. Register the motorbike as a car
maybe.
It would be a council bylaw.. annoy the council Cant just be a WA
thing, I have met people from WA they were not all tossers

dave wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> It's quite simple really. The council makes a rule and, if you
>> ignore it, they fine you. The rule is that you're not allowed to
>> park a motorcycle in a car bay.

> Stupid bastards
>
> You guys should protest or something. Register the motorbike as a car
> maybe.
> It would be a council bylaw.. annoy the council Cant just be a WA
> thing, I have met people from WA they were not all tossers

I don't understand your cconcern. The Council supplies bays for cars and
bays for motorcyles, they also supply loading bays, bus stops, etc. Why
should motorcycles not be restricted to motorcycle bays if cars are
restricted to car bays?

Theo

TimC wrote:
> On 2005-08-10, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
>
>>On 2005-08-10, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>And if you want to pass on or gain local knowledge, perhaps you can
>>>come to the BBUG meeting tonight?

>>I have no idea where it is, what time it starts, and how to get there.
>>(The latter comes from the first. :)

> Seems dutchy is not doing a very good selling job:
>
> Second wednesday of month, at 7:30 at Swinburne Hawthorn (geez, make
> me travel so far away, don't you guys!?), in room TD244.
>
> Pizza at Saras at 6:00.
>
> And you get there by bike, silly! :)

Is that like tonight?

Jeez I just left there

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Theo Bekkers wrote:

>>>It's quite simple really. The council makes a rule and, if you
>>>ignore it, they fine you. The rule is that you're not allowed to
>>>park a motorcycle in a car bay.

>>Stupid bastards
>>
>>You guys should protest or something. Register the motorbike as a car
>>maybe.
>>It would be a council bylaw.. annoy the council Cant just be a WA
>>thing, I have met people from WA they were not all tossers

> I don't understand your cconcern. The Council supplies bays for cars and
> bays for motorcyles, they also supply loading bays, bus stops, etc. Why
> should motorcycles not be restricted to motorcycle bays if cars are
> restricted to car bays?
>
> Theo

Becouse In my experience their aint shitloads of motorcycle bays.

Mind you the whole parking on footpath thing works so well in
melbourne.. that thats what you should try for I guess.

No motorcyclist is going to park in a car bay if he has a choice..
but **** its not as if one occupent cars were banned. In fact these
days I average a higher occupacy on my motorbike than the average for
cars. Why therefore should I be banned from so many parking places?

On 2005-08-10, dave (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> Second wednesday of month, at 7:30 at Swinburne Hawthorn (geez, make
>> me travel so far away, don't you guys!?), in room TD244.

> Is that like tonight?
>
> Jeez I just left there

We don't do a good job of advertising this, do we?

(I didn't hear about MBTC, the great *** bike rides, any of the BUGs,
until about 2.5 years into my PhD.)

--
TimC
test for Internet users. -- Author unknown, seen on the PCR-1000 list

dave wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> I don't understand your concern. The Council supplies bays for cars
>> and bays for motorcyles, they also supply loading bays, bus stops,
>> etc. Why should motorcycles not be restricted to motorcycle bays if
>> cars are restricted to car bays?

> Becouse In my experience their aint shitloads of motorcycle bays.

I didn't realise you lived in Perth. There's not shitloads of car bays in
the city either. But my experience is that there are many more available
bays for bikes than there are for cars. And there are more motorcycle bays
than car bays in proportion to their numbers on the road.

> Mind you the whole parking on footpath thing works so well in
> melbourne.. that thats what you should try for I guess.

I take it you have compared the width of the footpath in Elizabeth St
Melbourne with that of Hay St Perth. You could park a truck on the footpath
in Elizabeth St. OTOH, in Hay St, a stopped pram is a pedestrian hazard.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>>Theo Bekkers wrote:

>>>I don't understand your concern. The Council supplies bays for cars
>>>and bays for motorcyles, they also supply loading bays, bus stops,
>>>etc. Why should motorcycles not be restricted to motorcycle bays if
>>>cars are restricted to car bays?

>>Becouse In my experience their aint shitloads of motorcycle bays.

> I didn't realise you lived in Perth. There's not shitloads of car bays in
> the city either. But my experience is that there are many more available
> bays for bikes than there are for cars. And there are more motorcycle bays
> than car bays in proportion to their numbers on the road.
>

>>Mind you the whole parking on footpath thing works so well in
>>melbourne.. that thats what you should try for I guess.

> I take it you have compared the width of the footpath in Elizabeth St
> Melbourne with that of Hay St Perth. You could park a truck on the footpath
> in Elizabeth St. OTOH, in Hay St, a stopped pram is a pedestrian hazard.
>
> Theo

It does of course depend on where. As I said its a privilege not open
to abuse