drying cycling shoes from soaking rain?

chris c

Guest
Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried slowly(air)? I have
the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

"chris c" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried slowly(air)? I
> have
> the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

My long-standing practice is to crumple up newspaper and stuff it in the
shoes really tight. Then, using your hands, form the shoes into the shape
you want them to be when they are dry. To speed things up, after a few hours
remove the newspaper and put new, dry newspaper in there. I wouldn't use the
dryer, though on anything involving leather.

Pat in TX

Cleats in a dryer? Probably not a good idea.

How 'bout a few minutes (repeated a few times through the day) under
the handdryer\in front of an ac vent at work?

Ian

"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "chris c" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried slowly(air)? I
>> have the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

> My long-standing practice is to crumple up newspaper and stuff it in the
> shoes really tight. Then, using your hands, form the shoes into the shape
> you want them to be when they are dry. To speed things up, after a few
> hours remove the newspaper and put new, dry newspaper in there. I wouldn't
> use the dryer, though on anything involving leather.

You could, though, set them upside-down (with the newspaper inside) on top
of your computer monitor.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

I think slowly drying is best. Stand them up behind the refrigerator.

On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:23:58 GMT, "chris c"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried slowly(air)? I have
>the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

Heat may make wet leather shrink, and will probably make it stiff. If
they don't stink (a nontrivial consideration), I'd place them in front
of an air vent from the ventilation system (if there is one).
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:44:50 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You could, though, set them upside-down (with the newspaper inside) on top
>of your computer monitor.

Yes, that's not hot enough to do any harm in most cases. Of course, I
wouldn't dare do that. I'd have the EPA knocking on my door in short
order.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

In article <[email protected]>, Claire
Petersky ([email protected]) wrote:

> You could, though, set them upside-down (with the newspaper inside) on top
> of your computer monitor.

For which reason alone the trend towards LCD monitors is to be
deplored...

A complimentary biro(tm) is /not/ to be sniffed at.

I remove the insoles, put newspaper in the shoes, then set them on top
of the basement dehumidifier, which I will likely be running in such
conditions to keep my house's foundation from crumbling. Oh, and change
the newspaper after a while, as it will absorb a lot of the moisture
and, if not changed, the paper will just keep the insides wet. Regards,
Roy Zipris

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried slowly(air)? I have
> the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

If your dryer has a shoe rack or some sort of insert, put them in on air
dry for a few hours (or maybe a shorter time on extra-low heat). Air dry
will take a while, but shouldn't shrink the shoes. Using a rack will
prevent that horrific tumbling sound while they dry.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

> You could, though, set them upside-down (with the newspaper inside) on top
> of your computer monitor.

But one drop of water could kill your monitor.

"chris c" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried

slowly(air)? I have
> the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

We used to have a pair of what we called "electric feet" - two
vaguely shoe tree shaped things with a common electric cable that
plugged into the wall. They were the right shape, but small enough
to have an air space round them, rather than stretching the leather.
They were a gift, so I don't know where they came from. I think
they were made in Norway, where they know about cold and damp, but
they were for 110 volts and had a US plug. I think my wife must have
got them in the divorce. Damn

Jeremy Parker

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "chris c" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried slowly(air)? I
>>> have the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

>> My long-standing practice is to crumple up newspaper and stuff it in the
>> shoes really tight. Then, using your hands, form the shoes into the shape
>> you want them to be when they are dry. To speed things up, after a few
>> hours remove the newspaper and put new, dry newspaper in there. I wouldn't
>> use the dryer, though on anything involving leather.

> You could, though, set them upside-down (with the newspaper inside) on top
> of your computer monitor.

That is the most ridiculous advice I have ever seen given.

It would be akin to drying your hair with an electric dryer while lying
in the bath.

Pat in TX wrote:
> "chris c" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Is it ok to put them in the dryer? Should they be dried slowly(air)? I
> > have
> > the sidi genius carbon 5.5 (leather). Thanks

I set a hair dryer to "cool" and stick the business end into one shoe.
Switch it on and let it run for about 30 minutes . . . done! Next shoe.

drspell wrote:
> I think slowly drying is best. Stand them up behind the refrigerator.

Or in front of the fridge. If they're really soaked, though, you might
want to stuff with newspapers for a half hour, remove the paper, and
then put them in front of the fridge. The gentle air circulation will
dry them overnight.

Pat

"Hadron Quark" wrote: (clip) It would be akin to drying your hair with an
electric dryer while lying in the bath.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nah, it ain;'t that bad, really. The monitor has a plastic case, with no
path to ground, and you're not going to be wearing the shoes. And I am sure
you would pat them dry with rags first, so they are not dripping. However,
there are plenty of warm places that would be better--eg, on top of the
water heater.

If you can stand the discomfort, a good way to dry shoes and maintain their
flexibility is to wear them.

"Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "chris c" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> My long-standing practice is to crumple up newspaper and stuff it in the
>>> shoes really tight. Then, using your hands, form the shoes into the
>>> shape
>>> you want them to be when they are dry. To speed things up, after a few
>>> hours remove the newspaper and put new, dry newspaper in there. I
>>> wouldn't
>>> use the dryer, though on anything involving leather.

>> You could, though, set them upside-down (with the newspaper inside) on
>> top
>> of your computer monitor.

> That is the most ridiculous advice I have ever seen given.
>
> It would be akin to drying your hair with an electric dryer while lying
> in the bath.

?

I've left my damp gloves drying on top of the monitor many a time, and
neither the monitor, gloves, or I have suffered any ill consequences. How
exactly would one get electrocuted?

How do you dry your gloves when you ride in to work in the rain?

--

Claire Petersky wrote:
> I've left my damp gloves drying on top of the monitor many a time, and
> neither the monitor, gloves, or I have suffered any ill consequences. How
> exactly would one get electrocuted?
>
> How do you dry your gloves when you ride in to work in the rain?

Hang them from the bike rack or the bars, and turn on the fan if it's
too humid?

Pat

On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:56:20 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Hadron Quark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> "Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> You could, though, set them upside-down (with the newspaper inside) on
>>> top
>>> of your computer monitor.

>> That is the most ridiculous advice I have ever seen given.
>>
>> It would be akin to drying your hair with an electric dryer while lying
>> in the bath.

>?
>
>I've left my damp gloves drying on top of the monitor many a time, and
>neither the monitor, gloves, or I have suffered any ill consequences. How
>exactly would one get electrocuted?
>
>How do you dry your gloves when you ride in to work in the rain?

I put my wet gloves in the toaster. Put the setting on medium light
not dark.

P.S. DONT DO IT! IM JOKING!