BikingBrian said:I'm building up a set of race wheels and would like some advice about the rims. I'll be using Record hubs and CX Rays with brass nipples.
Rims - is there any real difference for the DTs vs the Mavics? I guess what I'm asking is, is the tiny aero difference of the CXPs something to consider?
Yes, I know I'm picking nits! But I lost my last race last year by 0.12 seconds, and I can't afford deep-rim carbon wheels. Also, I'm not interested in prebuilt wheels; I want something that is rebuildable and hubs that will last a long time.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Brian,
I have had both rims - the DTs built up on DT hubs and the CXPs on Ultegra hubs, and both 32 spoke, and both sets built by the good wheel builders.
The DT hubs cracked the rim for most drive side spokes within a few months - classic pull through. They were the double eyelet version and the braking surfaces were quite worn after a few months.
I then had the CXPs built. Over 8 months and no spokes pulling through - trouble free save for a bent rear rim following a hard hit with a pot hole as 65 kph - nothing will come unscathed through that.
Subjectively I preferred the "feel" of the DTs, which were also or seemed to be slightly lighter. The CXPs are nice wheels, though. I do not notice any difference in the aero qualities.
By way of reference, I weigh 99 - 104 kg (depends on how many work business lunches I go to) and train, commute and race on the same wheels regardless of the weather. I also put out a high amount o torque and reasonably high amount of power, but that probbably means I am inefficient and rough.
I was going to get the R1.2s when I saw the CXPs. Weighed the two rims and the CXPs were lighter, and I was (correctly) assurred the CXPs and R1.2s would be equally reliable.
You really can't go wrong. My suggestion is that if you are lighter or smoother, go for the DTs but otherwise go for the CXPs.