Dual Pedals

Michael Tissington

Guest
What is a GOOD dual pedal (clipless and regular) for use on LONG tours ?

Thanks.

> What is a GOOD dual pedal (clipless and regular) for use on LONG tours ?
>
> Thanks.

What are your requirements? What is it about a "LONG" tour that would
require something different than otherwise? If you're concerned about
durability, a standard Shimano SPD-324 should last for a very long time.
They're so common that I supsect you've already seen them... is there
something about them that you don't like? The only thing I would recommend
is to ditch the '55 cleats that come with them and install the '51 style.
The '55 cleats are the infamous multi-release which some like, but others
find that a bit of body english on the pedals and their feel come out
unexpectedly.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

I'm new to SPD pedals but have done long tours (several months) using
standard mtb pedals with toe clips. Looking into SPD pedals but I'm still
not sure that I can find a dual purpose shoe for spd and hiking.

>> What is a GOOD dual pedal (clipless and regular) for use on LONG tours ?
>>
>> Thanks.

> What are your requirements? What is it about a "LONG" tour that would
> require something different than otherwise? If you're concerned about
> durability, a standard Shimano SPD-324 should last for a very long time.
> They're so common that I supsect you've already seen them... is there
> something about them that you don't like? The only thing I would recommend
> is to ditch the '55 cleats that come with them and install the '51 style.
> The '55 cleats are the infamous multi-release which some like, but others
> find that a bit of body english on the pedals and their feel come out
> unexpectedly.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael Tissington" <[email protected]> writes:
> I'm new to SPD pedals but have done long tours (several months) using
> standard mtb pedals with toe clips. Looking into SPD pedals but I'm still
> not sure that I can find a dual purpose shoe for spd and hiking.

Shimano 636s are at least do-able as platform/clipless pedals.
They're also good for cracking walnuts and hammering nails.

And there are SPD shoes that are do-able for pedaling and some
flat-footed walking. But like any compromise solution, you get
the worst of both worlds.

Now, I'm currently using MTB plastic toe clips and cordura straps
with slidy, toothed buckles, and I'm quite happy with them.
They don't limit me to any sort of specialized footwear, they
provide enough of a foot/pedal connection to do one-legged
pedalling, and they're not frighteningly inextricable. I think
maybe you're using something similar. If it works for you ...
<shrug> why change it?

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

"Michael Tissington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is a GOOD dual pedal (clipless and regular) for use on LONG tours ?
>
>Thanks.

I got a pair of Shimano M424s last year. It sounds like you might be
on a road bike, so they might not be appropriate. I liked them
because
a) The cage is replacable (not sure how though)
b) Cage isnt an after thought - nice and big
c) Clip portion is double sided so if something goes wrong you got
built in spares.

BUT
After a year with cleats I wouldnt ride father than the grocery store
without them. Once you get used to them it feels like your feet will
slip off the pedals without them and so you tense parts of your leg to
keep them on making for an uncomfortable ride.

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:27:40 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "Michael Tissington" <[email protected]> writes:
>> I'm new to SPD pedals but have done long tours (several months) using
>> standard mtb pedals with toe clips. Looking into SPD pedals but I'm still
>> not sure that I can find a dual purpose shoe for spd and hiking.

>Shimano 636s are at least do-able as platform/clipless pedals.
>They're also good for cracking walnuts and hammering nails.
>
>And there are SPD shoes that are do-able for pedaling and some
>flat-footed walking. But like any compromise solution, you get
>the worst of both worlds.
>
>Now, I'm currently using MTB plastic toe clips and cordura straps
>with slidy, toothed buckles, and I'm quite happy with them.
>They don't limit me to any sort of specialized footwear, they
>provide enough of a foot/pedal connection to do one-legged
>pedalling, and they're not frighteningly inextricable. I think
>maybe you're using something similar. If it works for you ...
><shrug> why change it?

How are the powergrips?

dgk wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:27:40 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Michael Tissington" <[email protected]> writes:
> >> I'm new to SPD pedals but have done long tours (several months) using
> >> standard mtb pedals with toe clips. Looking into SPD pedals but I'm still
> >> not sure that I can find a dual purpose shoe for spd and hiking.

> >Shimano 636s are at least do-able as platform/clipless pedals.
> >They're also good for cracking walnuts and hammering nails.
> >
> >And there are SPD shoes that are do-able for pedaling and some
> >flat-footed walking. But like any compromise solution, you get
> >the worst of both worlds.
> >
> >Now, I'm currently using MTB plastic toe clips and cordura straps
> >with slidy, toothed buckles, and I'm quite happy with them.
> >They don't limit me to any sort of specialized footwear, they
> >provide enough of a foot/pedal connection to do one-legged
> >pedalling, and they're not frighteningly inextricable. I think
> >maybe you're using something similar. If it works for you ...
> ><shrug> why change it?
> >

> How are the powergrips?

I've got a pair of Powergrips here mounted on MKS touring pedals from
Rivendell. Most of my road riding is done with Time A.T.A.C. XSs, but
when I'm going to be doing a lot of off the bike walking, I still use
the flats and PGs. They work fine, better than the clips and cages I've
tried in the past. The key is getting the correct adjustment on the
length so they hold your foot when you turn your ankle in. It wasn't
difficult to do this, only took me a couple of tries. You will probably
have to re-adjust it if you change shoes.

Smokey

Michael Tissington wrote:
> I'm new to SPD pedals but have done long tours (several months) using
> standard mtb pedals with toe clips. Looking into SPD pedals but I'm still
> not sure that I can find a dual purpose shoe for spd and hiking.

I bought some hiking/biking shoes from Nashbar a few years ago.
This is the closest to them I could find:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...reid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Mountain Shoes

Mine have laces, no toe spikes and are brown but otherwise
look very similar. I bought them to commute in and walk
around in all day. Oh, and they work great with 324s.

If they don't work out, return them.

In article <[email protected]>,
dgk <[email protected]> writes:

>>Now, I'm currently using MTB plastic toe clips and cordura straps
>>with slidy, toothed buckles, and I'm quite happy with them.
>>They don't limit me to any sort of specialized footwear, they
>>provide enough of a foot/pedal connection to do one-legged
>>pedalling, and they're not frighteningly inextricable. I think
>>maybe you're using something similar. If it works for you ...
>><shrug> why change it?
>>

> How are the powergrips?

I dunno. I don't need 'em.

What I've got (described above) /works/ for me.
My plastic MTB toe clips even accomodate
steel-toed work boots. And they're definitely
not dangerous death-traps, yet they provide
adequate foot/pedal connection. Frankly I'm
mystified by why people deprecate them. Maybe
people still relate to the old-style road bike
metal toe clip/leather strap/external cleat
paradigm.

These things are way different from that.
Slidy/toothed-buckled cordura straps are
eminently escapable. If a rider pedalled
backwards, his feet might slide out of the
pedals. But I rarely pedal backwards.

cheers,
Tom