UK and Europe · Public discussion

Dublin to Carlow

Started by Gearoid · · Last activity · 10 posts · 2,196 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 March 2006
Last activity
21 July 2006
Original author
Gearoid
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,196
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All thinking of a spin to carlow this weekend. Just wondering what is or would be the best route to go. I would be coming from Clonee. It is the N9 I don't fancy using. Drove it many times and dont think its a safe road for a car let alone a bike LOL. So any ideas lads and ladies.? Just want to get there about lunch time Saturday, oh and not road kill. thanks

  2. Dublin-Carlow from Clonee :

    You could head in toward the M50 and go to Newlands Cross : take a left a Newlands Cross and cycle down the Belgard Road to the Square Shopping Centre.

    Then take a right at the Square and cycle straight - toward Blessington (N81) and keep going literally straight through Hollywood to Baltingglass to Tullow and then Carlow.
    That road used to be the main road between Dublin/Carlow.
    It's about a 50 mile spin from Dublin to Carlow.
    Nice spin - the roads would be a lot quieter now that the dual carriageway is open.

  3. Thanks sounds like a plan, lol Lets hope the weather is some what good.

  4. Excuse my ignorance folks, but would you cycle back to Dublin after that, or hop on a train or something? Sorry if thats a stupid question. The thing that gets me about long trips turning around and going home!

  5. trucker39 said:

    Excuse my ignorance folks, but would you cycle back to Dublin after that, or hop on a train or something? Sorry if thats a stupid question. The thing that gets me about long trips turning around and going home!


    You can do. It took me 7 hours from Dublin to Paulstown and it was 137km in total, I stayed the night and had a few to many that night so got the trin home the nexted afternoon. lol

  6. trucker39 said:

    Excuse my ignorance folks, but would you cycle back to Dublin after that, or hop on a train or something?

    I'd cycle back home.
    But that's just me.

  7. Ah yes, i know Paulstown. Thats a nice spin alright, going back the same day would probably have given me a heart attack! I used to live in Waterford, and often thought about cycling from my home here in Kildare to waterford. To my eternal shame i never did. Kildare to Waterford would have been about 100km

  8. trucker39 said:

    Ah yes, i know Paulstown. Thats a nice spin alright, going back the same day would probably have given me a heart attack! I used to live in Waterford, and often thought about cycling from my home here in Kildare to waterford. To my eternal shame i never did. Kildare to Waterford would have been about 100km

    Give ur self some time, and you will be doing a 100km no bother. We all got to start some where, what part of kildare u in. Im using a mtb at the moment will be upgrading but not sure iwant a racer, kinda have my heart set on a Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra . When i started to cycle I could not do 10 minutes let alone 10km. now i can do 200km in a day. I still have a long way to go to get to where i think i want to be lol but just take your time.

  9. I'm close to Kildare town. I can do a 25km cycle without much problem, but it's at that point my elbows and shoulders ache! I'll keep at it however! I just need to get miles in my legs.

    I'd never cycle a mountain bike, i just find they take twice the effort, for half the distance! But maybe that has its advantages!

  10. trucker39 said:

    I'm close to Kildare town. I can do a 25km cycle without much problem, but it's at that point my elbows and shoulders ache! I'll keep at it however! I just need to get miles in my legs.

    I'd never cycle a mountain bike, i just find they take twice the effort, for half the distance! But maybe that has its advantages!


    Well i was 22 stone when I started to cycle. Now Im down to just above 17 stone. So mtb was the only way to go for me.I like to cycle just for the hell of it. got the bug as they say.I get about 25km an hour out of my mtb,Im sure I would do alot better with a racer.But More in2 touring then speed. Clocked up 3500km since march.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.