Dum dee dum dee dum dee dum Doh!

Tony Raven

Guest
Cycling featured on the Archers last night. Nigel was cycling back from
a meeting. Lots of conversation about how people wouldn't cycle, about
how worried his wife was about his safety cycling enhanced by his not
answering his phone and ending up with the news he had been picked up
and given a lift home after being found on the roadside trying to mend a
puncture in the rain.

I do wish the BBC would sort itself out. On the one hand they run lots
of pieces warning us of impending climate disaster from global warming
and then spend all their time dissing cycling and opposing motoring
controls.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Tony Raven said the following on 21/02/2007 06:54:
> Cycling featured on the Archers last night.

Blimey, is that still running? Years ago when I was a kid we used to
have the nightly silence from 7:05 to 7:20 so Mum could listen to the
Archers, whilst complaining that she couldn't hear it properly because
of the noise she always made washing up at the same time!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

> Cycling featured on the Archers last night. Nigel was cycling back from a
> meeting. Lots of conversation about how people wouldn't cycle, about how
> worried his wife was about his safety cycling enhanced by his not
> answering his phone and ending up with the news he had been picked up and
> given a lift home after being found on the roadside trying to mend a
> puncture in the rain.
>
> I do wish the BBC would sort itself out. On the one hand they run lots of
> pieces warning us of impending climate disaster from global warming and
> then spend all their time dissing cycling and opposing motoring controls.
>
> --
> Tony

Nigel is one to watch out for, now he's a militant cyclist he'll be sending
mail bombs next...

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 06:54:41 +0000
Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Cycling featured on the Archers last night. Nigel was cycling back
> from a meeting. Lots of conversation about how people wouldn't
> cycle, about how worried his wife was about his safety cycling
> enhanced by his not answering his phone and ending up with the news
> he had been picked up and given a lift home after being found on the
> roadside trying to mend a puncture in the rain.

Isn't Nigel the tewwibly nice upper class twit with the thoroughly
stuck-up wife?

--
not me guv

Nick Kew wrote:

> Isn't Nigel the tewwibly nice upper class twit with the thoroughly
> stuck-up wife?

Up to a point. He's actually quite a bit sharper than he generally
comes across IMHO, and describing Elizabeth (his missus) as "stuck up"
isn't really the right word. Frequently a PITA, yes, but not really
"stuck up".

I think Mike Burrrows should send an 8 Freight brochure to Lower
Locksley PDQ!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tony Raven wrote:
> Cycling featured on the Archers last night. Nigel was cycling back from
> a meeting. Lots of conversation about how people wouldn't cycle, about
> how worried his wife was about his safety cycling enhanced by his not
> answering his phone and ending up with the news he had been picked up
> and given a lift home after being found on the roadside trying to mend a
> puncture in the rain.
>
> I do wish the BBC would sort itself out. On the one hand they run lots
> of pieces warning us of impending climate disaster from global warming
> and then spend all their time dissing cycling and opposing motoring
> controls.

Were they really dissing it though? If you've never ever had a puncture
and/or a soaking and don't know anyone else who has either then it might
be a dissing, but this sort of thing /does/ happen. Fact is that Nigel
is the sort of bloke who'll make it work (after all, he's done it
before), and demonstrate to a lot of listeners that it can work in the
process. Maybe Lizzie will get a Clue about it in time, but the sort of
worry she went through was entirely in character and as we know from
posts here it is a worry many find applicable to this universe too.

I rather hope Nigel gets a freight bike. It would be useful round the
grounds at the very least.

Pete.
--

On Feb 21, 8:00 pm, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
> > Cycling featured on the Archers last night. Nigel was cycling back from
> > a meeting. Lots of conversation about how people wouldn't cycle, about
> > how worried his wife was about his safety cycling enhanced by his not
> > answering his phone and ending up with the news he had been picked up
> > and given a lift home after being found on the roadside trying to mend a
> > puncture in the rain.

> > I do wish the BBC would sort itself out. On the one hand they run lots
> > of pieces warning us of impending climate disaster from global warming
> > and then spend all their time dissing cycling and opposing motoring
> > controls.

> Were they really dissing it though? If you've never ever had a puncture
> and/or a soaking and don't know anyone else who has either then it might
> be a dissing, but this sort of thing /does/ happen.

My last puncture was over a year ago (in fact probably 2, I can't
remember).

Nigel suddenly got on his high horse about global warming and gave up
his car all of about 3 days ago.

James

[email protected] wrote:
> My last puncture was over a year ago (in fact probably 2, I can't
> remember).
>
> Nigel suddenly got on his high horse about global warming and gave up
> his car all of about 3 days ago.

Maybe he's riding in the gutter

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/

[email protected] wrote:

> My last puncture was over a year ago (in fact probably 2, I can't
> remember).
>
> Nigel suddenly got on his high horse about global warming and gave up
> his car all of about 3 days ago.

He did cycle regularly while his driving license was revoked, but had
let it drop off. Probably just got back on the bike without checking it
first, tyres would have been well under pressure...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Cycling featured on the Archers last night. Nigel was cycling back from
> a meeting. Lots of conversation about how people wouldn't cycle, about
> how worried his wife was about his safety cycling enhanced by his not
> answering his phone and ending up with the news he had been picked up
> and given a lift home after being found on the roadside trying to mend a
> puncture in the rain.

> I do wish the BBC would sort itself out. On the one hand they run lots
> of pieces warning us of impending climate disaster from global warming
> and then spend all their time dissing cycling and opposing motoring
> controls.

It wasn't about cycling. It was about silly country people as featured
in the Archers. Having laughable problems with technology you don't
understand is a big part of the lives of silly people. Their mobile
phone batteries probably keep running out too.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Nick Kew wrote:

> Isn't Nigel the tewwibly nice upper class twit with the thoroughly
> stuck-up wife?

Yes, a well intentioned toff with relatives called Elizabeth and
Camilla. Who are they trying to make us think of?
--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

On 2007-02-21, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Cycling featured on the Archers last night. Nigel was cycling back from
> a meeting. Lots of conversation about how people wouldn't cycle, about
> how worried his wife was about his safety cycling enhanced by his not
> answering his phone and ending up with the news he had been picked up
> and given a lift home after being found on the roadside trying to mend a
> puncture in the rain.

To be fair, Kenton did suffer a similar fate to Nigel some months ago when
his shiny new motor conked out. As I recall he had to walk all the way back
from Lakey Hill to Jaxx in the pouring rain.

Clearly being a cyclist garners extra sympathy from passers by...

Regards,

-david