So I went to my LBS yesterday and I asked about ordering a pair of full length SKS fenders to fit a Cannondale 800. I was shown a pair of SKS half-fenders that didn't go under the brakes, and I was told that they've had trouble fitting them under the brakes and that's why they recommend the half-fenders. Anyone have any problems with this scenario? I gave the bike the hairy eyeball and it doesn't seem to be a tight fit under there (Cannondale branded Tektro brakes). Don't SKS fenders come in different sizes? What would y'all recommend?
So I went to my LBS yesterday and I asked about ordering a pair of full length SKS fenders to fit a Cannondale 800. I was shown a pair of SKS half-fenders that didn't go under the brakes, and I was told that they've had trouble fitting them under the brakes and that's why they recommend the half-fenders. Anyone have any problems with this scenario? I gave the bike the hairy eyeball and it doesn't seem to be a tight fit under there (Cannondale branded Tektro brakes). Don't SKS fenders come in different sizes?
The different sizes are different widths but even with the narrowest it's going to be tight. I'd expect your going to need to do some filing of the mounting bracket and/or use cable ties to pull the fender upwards uunders the brakes/frame for clearance.
If you can afford it, get the narrowest SKS fenders you can and install them yourself. It'll be tight and there may well be rubbing.
I can understand a shop not wanting to do this. If the shop insists on not doing it with full fenders, get SKS Race Blades.
JT
**************************** Remove "remove" to reply Visit http://www.jt10000.com ****************************
So I went to my LBS yesterday and I asked about ordering a pair of full length SKS fenders to fit a Cannondale 800. I was shown a pair of SKS half-fenders that didn't go under the brakes, and I was told that they've had trouble fitting them under the brakes and that's why they recommend the half-fenders. Anyone have any problems with this scenario? I gave the bike the hairy eyeball and it doesn't seem to be a tight fit under there (Cannondale branded Tektro brakes). Don't SKS fenders come in different sizes? What would y'all recommend?
WWSD?
If road calipers, very thin fenders 'may' fit inder the brakes. BUT probably won't. The RaceBlades are nice, easy on and off altho they won't keep water outta yer eyes, as it comes over the front wheel. BUT with your calipers, it may be the only suggestion.
"Boyle M. Owl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:sYsVe.23103$8q.13477@lakeread01...
Quoted message said:
So I went to my LBS yesterday and I asked about ordering a pair
of full
Quoted message said:
length SKS fenders to fit a Cannondale 800. I was shown a pair
of SKS
Quoted message said:
half-fenders that didn't go under the brakes, and I was told
that
Quoted message said:
they've had trouble fitting them under the brakes and that's
why they
Quoted message said:
recommend the half-fenders. Anyone have any problems with this scenario? I gave the bike the hairy eyeball and it doesn't seem
to be a
Quoted message said:
tight fit under there (Cannondale branded Tektro brakes).
Don't SKS
Quoted message said:
fenders come in different sizes? What would y'all recommend?
WWSD?
Sure, they have had trouble fitting them through the itty-bitty space under the crown of CF fork or a low-hung brake bridge/road caliper. But, you have a touring frame with compact cantis with ample clearances, assuming you are not riding a 35mm tire. I have a 20 year old T1000 with fenders, and they fit fine with 25/28mm tires. Also, SKS is a premium brand, and I do fine with less expensive models such as the Planet Bike. -- Jay Beattie.
Sure, they have had trouble fitting them through the itty-bitty space under the crown of CF fork or a low-hung brake bridge/road caliper. But, you have a touring frame with compact cantis with ample clearances, assuming you are not riding a 35mm tire.
A Cannondale 800 is a CAAD5 Al frame and carbon fork for either the Road Warrior (Flat Bar) or regular version. It's a road bike - no canti's on either version.
That said though, the caliper brakes are a Cannondale branded version of the Tektro calipers sold at Harris Cyclery - they're hung relatively high compared to some I've seen. I've got 700*28 Conti UGS tires under them and there's still a mile of space left.
Quoted message said:
I have a 20 year old T1000 with fenders, and they fit fine with 25/28mm tires. Also, SKS is a premium brand, and I do fine with less expensive models such as the Planet Bike.
Blue frame. Silver fenders. If you gotta have fenders, it's better to look sharp while doing so. Woo, I just channeled StyleMan.
"Boyle M. Owl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:PxEVe.23118$8q.1779@lakeread01...
Quoted message said:
Jay Beattie said:
Sure, they have had trouble fitting them through the
itty-bitty
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
space under the crown of CF fork or a low-hung brake
bridge/road
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
caliper. But, you have a touring frame with compact cantis
with
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
ample clearances, assuming you are not riding a 35mm tire.
A Cannondale 800 is a CAAD5 Al frame and carbon fork for either
the Road
Quoted message said:
Warrior (Flat Bar) or regular version. It's a road bike - no
canti's on
Quoted message said:
either version.
That said though, the caliper brakes are a Cannondale branded
version of
Quoted message said:
the Tektro calipers sold at Harris Cyclery - they're hung
relatively
Quoted message said:
high compared to some I've seen. I've got 700*28 Conti UGS
tires under
Quoted message said:
them and there's still a mile of space left.
Quoted message said:
I have a 20 year old T1000 with fenders, and they fit fine with 25/28mm tires. Also, SKS is a premium brand, and I do fine
with
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
less expensive models such as the Planet Bike.
Blue frame. Silver fenders. If you gotta have fenders, it's
better to
Quoted message said:
look sharp while doing so. Woo, I just channeled StyleMan.
Oh, I thought you had a T800, which is spec'd with Tektro brakes, too, albeit cantilevers. Nonetheless, see http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RR8Y.html . Cannondale claims that this frame/brake combination is appropriate for use with fenders. You should be able to use any reasonable width fenders with reasonable sized tires. In fact, that frame looks like a worthy replacement for my now broken steel commuter bike -- except for the goofy compact design. -- Jay Beattie.
Fendering a bike is a bit of a science (people here in Seattle marvel over each other's installations). Shops charge upwards of $100 for those who'd rather pay than do it themselves.
For tight clearances, there are a number of options - most involving a set of diag cutters, fender support brackets, a drill, and a pop-rivet gun. Getting past (under or over) the brake boss or fork on a road bike can be a pain which is why the race blades have become so popular. I prefer to go with more coverage since so many of our rides are wet, but race blades are good options. If you do go with race blades, you may want to find a 8-12" portion of an old fender and zip-tie it in place from lower on your seattube (by the Ft Derr) up to the rear brake mount. This'll help to keep your feet a little drier.
Oh - and if you are riding with others, don't forget a good, long flap!
Fendering a bike is a bit of a science (people here in Seattle marvel over each other's installations). Shops charge upwards of $100 for those who'd rather pay than do it themselves.
For tight clearances, there are a number of options - most involving a set of diag cutters, fender support brackets, a drill, and a pop-rivet gun. Getting past (under or over) the brake boss or fork on a road bike can be a pain which is why the race blades have become so popular. I prefer to go with more coverage since so many of our rides are wet, but race blades are good options. If you do go with race blades, you may want to find a 8-12" portion of an old fender and zip-tie it in place from lower on your seattube (by the Ft Derr) up to the rear brake mount. This'll help to keep your feet a little drier.
Oh - and if you are riding with others, don't forget a good, long flap!
-a (self-proclaimed fendering expert)
OK. Been wondering about this for a while. Why are front fenders made so short fore and aft? For good coverage of his feet and bottom bracket a rider needs to add a mud flap. The short forward section means that the rider is continuously riding into the spray the front tire throws forward. I cannot see a problem in a forward extension of the front fender.
What are the solutions? Should one mount a back fender in the front?
I'll have to send you a picture of mine. I have added a flap to the front as well. It's 2" sewer evacuation hosing that I picked up at Lowes - it essentially "wraps" my front fender keeping all the spray contained. It's overkill - but anybody will tell you - riding in the rain isn't so bad with fenders since most of the time you're not getting wet from above, but from the road below (+ all the grit).
If you fasten the fenders to the fork crown and seatstay bridge and chainstays with zip ties you will get better clearance than if you use the fittings provided with the fenders. On one bike I can only fit Gatorskin 23mm tyres under the SKS fenders if I use the manufacturers fittings but if I use zip ties I can get a Gatorskin 28mm in there. Do a google search for fender ziptie.
Nick
"Boyle M. Owl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:sYsVe.23103$8q.13477@lakeread01...
Quoted message said:
So I went to my LBS yesterday and I asked about ordering a pair of full length SKS fenders to fit a Cannondale 800. I was shown a pair of SKS half-fenders that didn't go under the brakes, and I was told that they've had trouble fitting them under the brakes and that's why they recommend the half-fenders. Anyone have any problems with this scenario? I gave the bike the hairy eyeball and it doesn't seem to be a tight fit under there (Cannondale branded Tektro brakes). Don't SKS fenders come in different sizes? What would y'all recommend?
Oh, I thought you had a T800, which is spec'd with Tektro brakes, too, albeit cantilevers. Nonetheless, see http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/cusa/model-4RR8Y.html . Cannondale claims that this frame/brake combination is appropriate for use with fenders.
Cool. Problem Solved then.
Thanks to all who answered my questions and thanks for the tips on getting fenders to fit.
Why fenders? It's been a wicked dry summer, and I suspect that we're going to get a lot of rain this fall and the bike is new this year and I've gotten over the "fenders are dorky" attitude. Rhode Island *almost* set an all-time record for lack of rain for this past summer, so for all those sunny days, we pay for it in October through December and then the Snow sets in.
OK. Been wondering about this for a while. Why are front fenders made so short fore and aft? For good coverage of his feet an d bottom bracket a rider needs to add a mud flap. The short forward section means that the rider is continuously riding into the spray the front tire throws forward. I cannot see a problem in a forward extension of the front fender.
What are the solutions? Should one mount a back fender in the front?
The reason fenders are generally not long enough down the back is to avoid hang-up when going over curbs and the like. In any case you need the width or coverage of a mudflap when turning.a
"Boyle M. Owl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:sYsVe.23103$8q.13477@lakeread01...
Quoted message said:
So I went to my LBS yesterday and I asked about ordering a pair of full length SKS fenders to fit a Cannondale 800. I was shown a pair of SKS half-fenders that didn't go under the brakes, and I was told that they've had trouble fitting them under the brakes and that's why they recommend the half-fenders.
Sure, they have had trouble fitting them through the itty-bitty space under the crown of CF fork or a low-hung brake bridge/road caliper. But, you have a touring frame with compact cantis with ample clearances, assuming you are not riding a 35mm tire. I have a 20 year old T1000 with fenders, and they fit fine with 25/28mm tires.
I don't think the T800 is what he's talking about, or he'd not have any issue whatsoever with mounting fenders. My '04 model T800 has room for 700x40 tires with full fenders. It has a lot more space back there than my c. 1990 C'dale tourer or my c. 1986 C'dale tourer.
I think he means an R800, which is sort of like a T800 with high heels, fitted skirt, and false fingernails. It's not really equipped to cope with real-world conditions, but some people find it sexier.
Along with the mounting issues others have mentioned, there is the width issue where the fender travels between the brake calipers, especially when the brake is closed. I have some SKS fenders that fit under the brake but when I use the brake, the fender gets warped and pushed to one side a bit.
I took a drum sander on a Dremel and carved relief areas into the fender sides where it travels between the brake arms, making notches that allow the brake arms to move without pushing the fender itself.