General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Dumbell Kings?

Started by The Crow · · Last activity · 22 posts · 592 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 February 2006
Last activity
9 February 2006
Original author
The Crow
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
592
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Ranieri" <nah> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Ranieri" <nah> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    > We'll let the people reading decide. Yes. No. I'm frankly
    > surprised you're citing the Arnold Press as somehow being
    > dangerous. Care to point us to someone's opinion other than yours
    > that it's a bad exercise?
    >

    Steve, I recall getting into it with you a while back about
    shoulders, I think you were recommending subluxing the shoulder on
    bar hangs.

    No, Jim, this is absolutely not true. A subluxation is defined as as
    "temporary, partial dislocation of the shoulder joint" and it's not
    something I ever do or ever advocate anyone doing. I keep my
    shoulders tight - firmly together, never relaxed on bar hangs and the
    bottom position of pullups.

    "I am not an expert in anatomy but I am also not aware of any tension
    in my
    shoulders when I hang. I hung from the bar for 1:40 the other day and
    I
    think I would have felt some fatigue in my shoulder muscles had I
    been,
    somehow, holding them in other than a relaxed position. "

    -Steve Freides, Dec 13 2003, 11:27 am

    What is it the kids today say? Oh yeah...OWNED

    You have changed the subject, you sly devil, you.🙂 We are talking
    about the Arnold press on this thread and the amount of motion in the
    shoulder joint it entails. You raised the issue of subluxation as it
    relates to bar hangs for time - that's a separate issue. In answer to
    that issue, I do keep some minimal tension in my shoulder joints in
    order to keep them together. If I couldn't do that for time, and they
    started getting lax as a result, I would not practice this movement at
    all. When I hang from the bar for time I do try to minimize the amount
    of effort I'm expending - when you do anything for time, that's a given.
    But I do not recommend bar hangs for time for most people. Let me
    repeat - I do not recommend bar hangs for time for most people. I don't
    do them very often myself- when I work on them, it's for a few weeks and
    then I put it away. (I do, however, find short bar hangs done regularly
    throughout the day wonderful for my back.)

    The basic question remains - is the Arnold press in any way a dangerous
    movement, more dangerous than the venerable deadlit? I have yet to see
    anything even remotely suggesting this is the case.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  2. Steve Freides said:

    "Ranieri" <nah> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Ranieri" <nah> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "Steve Freides" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    >
    >> We'll let the people reading decide. Yes. No. I'm frankly
    >> surprised you're citing the Arnold Press as somehow being
    >> dangerous. Care to point us to someone's opinion other than yours
    >> that it's a bad exercise?
    >>
    >
    > Steve, I recall getting into it with you a while back about
    > shoulders, I think you were recommending subluxing the shoulder on
    > bar hangs.

    No, Jim, this is absolutely not true. A subluxation is defined as as
    "temporary, partial dislocation of the shoulder joint" and it's not
    something I ever do or ever advocate anyone doing. I keep my
    shoulders tight - firmly together, never relaxed on bar hangs and the
    bottom position of pullups.

    "I am not an expert in anatomy but I am also not aware of any tension
    in my
    shoulders when I hang. I hung from the bar for 1:40 the other day and
    I
    think I would have felt some fatigue in my shoulder muscles had I
    been,
    somehow, holding them in other than a relaxed position. "

    -Steve Freides, Dec 13 2003, 11:27 am

    What is it the kids today say? Oh yeah...OWNED

    You have changed the subject, you sly devil, you.🙂 We are talking
    about the Arnold press on this thread and the amount of motion in the
    shoulder joint it entails. You raised the issue of subluxation as it
    relates to bar hangs for time - that's a separate issue. In answer to
    that issue, I do keep some minimal tension in my shoulder joints in
    order to keep them together. If I couldn't do that for time, and they
    started getting lax as a result, I would not practice this movement at
    all. When I hang from the bar for time I do try to minimize the amount
    of effort I'm expending - when you do anything for time, that's a given.
    But I do not recommend bar hangs for time for most people. Let me
    repeat - I do not recommend bar hangs for time for most people. I don't
    do them very often myself- when I work on them, it's for a few weeks and
    then I put it away. (I do, however, find short bar hangs done regularly
    throughout the day wonderful for my back.)

    The basic question remains - is the Arnold press in any way a dangerous
    movement, more dangerous than the venerable deadlit? I have yet to see
    anything even remotely suggesting this is the case.

    Unless you have difficulty of any sort during the full ROM, then the
    exercise is completely harmless. Pain is the indicator of whether you
    should do the lift or not.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.