Dumonde Tech: Thoughts on & how to use

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Blarrain, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Blarrain

    Blarrain Guest

    Hearing good things about this for road chain. Only web site I was was for motorcycle products. Any
    web info on the bicycle lubricant? Supposedly its more tedious to use but don't know how or where to
    find out about it.

    Can I use it with an existing chain or wait till I get a new chain? If I use it with a new (Sram)
    chain do I need to remove the stuff that is on the chain when it comes?

    I generally lube every couple of rides, after cleaning, after rainy rides & before racing? Similar
    with Dumonde?

    Where does one get it? Don't see to many places with it around. Not much locally.

    Thanks,

    Barb L Portland, OR

    Tags:

  2. On 2 Jun 2003, BLarrain wrote:

    > Hearing good things about this for road chain. Only web site I was was for motorcycle products.
    > Any web info on the bicycle lubricant? Supposedly its more tedious to use but don't know how or
    > where to find out about it.
    >
    > Can I use it with an existing chain or wait till I get a new chain? If I use it with a new (Sram)
    > chain do I need to remove the stuff that is on the chain when it comes?
    >
    > I generally lube every couple of rides, after cleaning, after rainy rides & before racing? Similar
    > with Dumonde?
    >
    > Where does one get it? Don't see to many places with it around. Not much locally.

    Barb,

    I've used DuMonde Tech lube, and it works fine, as do most boutique lubes. The bike version, to the
    best of my knowledge (and the knowledge of some of my wrench friends here), is the same as the
    motorcycle version, albeit in a more expensive and smaller package. It's no more tedious to use than
    any other lube this side of Prolink: clean the chain, let dry, apply lube, wipe off excess. I'll
    leave to one side the question of removing the new-chain coating before lubing: that's a question of
    quasi-religious character here, with arguments on both sides. And as far as when and how often to
    apply: When I used it, I normally applied it only when I noticed the chain making noise or every two
    weeks, whichever came first, and only after cleaning the chain.

    Having said that, I don't think there are any benefits, performance or otherwise, to using DuMonde
    instead of plain ol' motor oil for a chain lube. They're both effective at lubing the chain, both
    good for wet-weather riding, and (if you keep the chain wiped regularly) not too bad about
    collecting dust and dirt. Motor oil, however, is much cheaper and more widely available.

    Trent

  3. BLarrain wrote:
    > Hearing good things about this for road chain. Only web site I was was for motorcycle products.
    > Any web info on the bicycle lubricant? Supposedly its more tedious to use but don't know how or
    > where to find out about it.
    >
    > Can I use it with an existing chain or wait till I get a new chain? If I use it with a new (Sram)
    > chain do I need to remove the stuff that is on the chain when it comes?
    >
    > I generally lube every couple of rides, after cleaning, after rainy rides & before racing? Similar
    > with Dumonde?
    >
    > Where does one get it? Don't see to many places with it around. Not much locally.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Barb L Portland, OR

    i never like the stuff for chain lube but it does a good job as a cable lube. you may be able to
    find it at beckwith's bikes ~ 35 th and se woodstock.

    don't take your bike in with you though the owner will sniff the seat.