Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Dura Ace poor service

Started by Frank Gmeindl · · Last activity · 9 posts · 761 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 May 2004
Last activity
6 May 2004
Original author
Frank Gmeindl
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
761
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been waiting for Shimano to replace a 9-spped Dura Ace brifter for 3
    weeks and have no indication that I'll ever get it. I bought a brand new
    Dura Ace 9-speed group, rode it about 200 miles, and the right hand lever
    failed. The throw on the long lever became radically longer when shifting
    from the 3rd biggest to 2nd biggest cogs than when shifting all the other
    cogs. My LBS agreed that it was a defect. First, Shimano told them it was
    their fault. Then, they agreed to replace it. My LBS asked them to send
    the replacement. Shimano wouldn't send one without first receiving the
    defect. The LBS sent it in 3 weeks ago. One phone call to Shimano two
    weeks ago and another last week got the same response, "It's in our system".

    Fortunately, my LBS loaned me a used brifter or I'd be off the bike for 3
    weeks of the best riding of the year right now. Think about that the next
    time you need to make a purchase decision. I've had many Shimano and many
    Campy groups over the years. Functionally, they each have their quirks but
    at least you can repair Campy. I regret having purchased Dura Ace.

    Frank

  2. Thank goodness for the local bike shop. What if you mail ordered the
    shifters! I wonder if my LBS would have given me a new sti & kept the
    warranted one? It pays to be friend with the LBS.

  3. Evan Evans said:

    Thank goodness for the local bike shop. What if you mail ordered the
    shifters! I wonder if my LBS would have given me a new sti & kept the
    warranted one? It pays to be friend with the LBS.

    My Ultegra rear hub flange failed a couple of years ago within the warranty
    period. I had bought it from Nashbar. I sent it to Shimano in Irvine(?) CA
    with the warranty claim form. They sent me a replacement fairly quick, but
    they sent a 32H hub, and mine was a 36H. They claimed they didn't have a 36H
    Ultegra.

    It took several phone calls, but I finally talked them into giving me 36H
    Dura Ace hub. They paid the shipping both ways for the 32H Ultegra.

    Bottom line: Ya gotta bug them. Call often, and be nice but firm. Keep
    reminding them: 'Hey, my bike is out of commission until you guys ship the
    part!"

    Art Harris

  4. "Frank Gmeindl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been waiting for Shimano to replace a 9-spped Dura Ace brifter for 3
    weeks and have no indication that I'll ever get it. I bought a brand new
    Dura Ace 9-speed group, rode it about 200 miles, and the right hand lever
    failed. The throw on the long lever became radically longer when shifting
    from the 3rd biggest to 2nd biggest cogs than when shifting all the other
    cogs. My LBS agreed that it was a defect. First, Shimano told them it was
    their fault. Then, they agreed to replace it. My LBS asked them to send
    the replacement. Shimano wouldn't send one without first receiving the
    defect. The LBS sent it in 3 weeks ago. One phone call to Shimano two
    weeks ago and another last week got the same response, "It's in our system".

    Fortunately, my LBS loaned me a used brifter or I'd be off the bike for 3
    weeks of the best riding of the year right now. Think about that the next
    time you need to make a purchase decision. I've had many Shimano and many
    Campy groups over the years. Functionally, they each have their quirks but
    at least you can repair Campy. I regret having purchased Dura Ace.

    Frank


    Y'know, if you're THAT upset about buying D/A, I need another gruppo. Send it
    my way. In the 5 years one of my D/A gruppos has been on my bikes the only
    problem I had was the BB. I switched that out with an Ultegra, no more
    problems.

    I bought a "used" set of STI from a guy in AZ. One of the clicks was missing in
    the shifter. Sent it back to Shimano, and got it back a few weeks later.
    Hasn't malfunctioned since. (that's been ~2-3 years now) I figure that's what
    you get sometimes when you get a set of D/A shifters for $125...

    Now to the Campy question: how many LBS-es are going to keep a Campy shifter
    disc (+ wear parts: springs, etc.) in stock "just in case" someone needs one?
    They're probably going to call QBP and order the stuff with their regular weekly
    order. Now you're still out at a week or two till they get it in, installed,
    and back to you. Not too much different...

    The question of having a serious malfunction in a major piece of gear on my
    bikes is the reason I have at least two road bikes. If something DOES go wrong,
    I have a backup. Were I in your situation, it would mean that I just couldn't
    switch bikes for a few weeks. Oh well.

    I've been seeing lots of "anti-LBS" comments in some of the boards I've been
    reading. This is an instance where having an LBS around is a GOOD THING. D'ya
    think that the MO place would've lent you the D/A shifter till yours came in?
    Don't think so!

    Right now, patience is a good thing. You'll get your shifter back soon.

    M

  5. Mike-<< Now to the Campy question: how many LBS-es are going to keep a Campy
    shifter
    disc (+ wear parts: springs, etc.) in stock "just in case" someone needs one?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Can only speak for Boulder, where 4 LBS all have all Campagnolo ERGO small
    parts all the time. As for keeping this stuff in 'just in case', the parts are
    cheap, just like a lot of small parts that a decent LBS keeps 'just in case'.

    Rememeber that you had your lever repaired at shimano but no more. They
    warranty replace or if out of warranty-sorry, gotta buy a new one.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Rememeber that you had your lever repaired at shimano but no more. They
    warranty replace or if out of warranty-sorry, gotta buy a new one.


    Here they still do that and are required to offer that service by law I
    think.

    Warranty is 2 years by consumers law nowadays.

    Greets, Derk

  7. On Tue, 4 May 2004 12:39:25 -0700, "SDMike" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Now to the Campy question: how many LBS-es are going to keep a Campy shifter
    disc (+ wear parts: springs, etc.) in stock "just in case" someone needs one?
    They're probably going to call QBP and order the stuff with their regular weekly
    order. Now you're still out at a week or two till they get it in, installed,
    and back to you. Not too much different...

    The wear parts that you mention don't wear overnight and can be
    considered a maintenance item. The owner of the shifters should keep
    a set of springs. The shift disks don't wear out. To change the
    springs takes a 5 mm and 3 mm hex key, and a wide blade screw driver
    of crochet hook. There are detailed instructions posted at websites.
    While you're doing it, putting in new cables and housing is
    nothing...another maintenance item.

    I admit that servicing the DA is easier. You squirt it with WD2 and,
    if it doesn't work, you throw it away.

  8. Derk-<< Here they still do that and are required to offer that service by law I
    think.

    Warranty is 2 years by consumers law nowadays. >><BR><BR>

    Most things 'bicycle' are better in Europe....

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  9. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Most things 'bicycle' are better in Europe....


    Well, Campa is made in Europe, so you shouldn't be surprised ;-)

    Greets, Derk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.