I would like to try a full carbon monocoque frame to be used for fast training rides of 20-100 miles over rolling to hilly terrain. My biggest concerns are durability (safety. exploding carbon scares the [censored] out of me) and stiffness.
I don't care if it rides harshly or weighs a pound or two over the 900 gram featherweights as long as it's safe and stiff.
I'm a 175 pound ex-racer and would prefer a horizontal top tube. A good warranty is also a plus. Last year's models/closeouts/discontinued are fine.
I would like to try a full carbon monocoque frame to be used for fast training rides of 20-100 miles over rolling to hilly terrain. My biggest concerns are durability (safety. exploding carbon scares the [censored] out of me) and stiffness.
I don't care if it rides harshly or weighs a pound or two over the 900 gram featherweights as long as it's safe and stiff.
I'm a 175 pound ex-racer and would prefer a horizontal top tube. A good warranty is also a plus. Last year's models/closeouts/discontinued are fine.
Any suggestions?
I have a 14 year old Kestrel 200 SCI that has held up very well. R&A cycles in New York sells old model Kestrels for pretty good prices. I suggest the pre-2004 because they are the made in USA monocoques. I don't know that the newer made in China modular ones are necessarily bad, but I like the originals better. All have a lifetime warranty.
There are lots of Trek OCLV frames out there. As you probably know they are not "monocoque", but again most carbon frames are not and I don't know if it makes a difference or not. Personally, I was getting a new carbon bike, I would get one of those old Kestrels or perhaps one of these Cannondale carbon/Al mixes.
I would like to try a full carbon monocoque frame to be used for fast training rides of 20-100 miles over rolling to hilly terrain. My biggest concerns are durability (safety. exploding carbon scares the [censored] out of me) and stiffness.
I don't care if it rides harshly or weighs a pound or two over the 900 gram featherweights as long as it's safe and stiff.
I'm a 175 pound ex-racer and would prefer a horizontal top tube. A good warranty is also a plus. Last year's models/closeouts/discontinued are fine.
Any suggestions?
A guy I ride with recently got a PedalForce frame (www.pedalforce.com) It looks great to me, low-key with no decals and an all-over clearcoat finish. Believe I read these are made by Advanced Composites, one of the big-time Taiwan CF production houses. Don't know anything about their quality, but he's very pleased so far.
He has the base model, priced at $600, and says the ride is very smooth, with stable handling. The stiffer RS may better suit your needs of course. May be worth a look.
A guy I ride with recently got a PedalForce frame (www.pedalforce.com) It looks great to me, low-key with no decals and an all-over clearcoat finish. Believe I read these are made by Advanced Composites, one of the big-time Taiwan CF production houses. Don't know anything about their quality, but he's very pleased so far.
He has the base model, priced at $600, and says the ride is very smooth, with stable handling. The stiffer RS may better suit your needs of course. May be worth a look.
Thanks for that information. The 'RS' model does look like it might be what i'm looking for. The $800 retail price is impressive.
Has anyone ridden this model?
$2500 for a built-up Chorus sounds about right for a no-name frame.
Any word on the rep of this Pedal Force company? I'm not familiar with them.
Their customer service is incredibly friendly, a few forums id a group buy of the RS frame and all have been very happy with it, one of their frames was used by Litespeed for their Pavia, at a $1000 markup. Go for it, I'm probably going to end up with one of their forks if I can't find anything else.
That RS and Fusion models looked very interesting.
Anyone ridden one personally? Love the fact that it's a quality no-name brand CF/CF-Ti frame. The weight seemed to be very good too. A barely UCI weight legal complete bike seemed to be well within reach. 😄
I emailed PedalForce to see if they had a phone number. I wanted to discuss some components not listed on their site and I also wanted more detailed information on a few options.
They couldn't be bothered with a phone call. Said it would drive their prices up.
No problem.
1-800-to Colorado cyclist had me talking to a human voice in 15 seconds and a knowledgable one at that.
I ordered a Douglas Matrix/full Chorus (from headset to pedals, got a Record hub upgrade at no cost) and not only were all my options covered, but the sales tech even took some extra frame measurements off a showroom display model for me.
The money difference between the two bikes spec'd as close as i could get them was less than $100. And the C-C bike is pre-built. (PedalForce does offer a $100 rebate for assembly)
It will be interesting to see how the Douglas rides. They claimed it was plenty stiff...time will tell.