Dutch police bait thieves - hidden GPS in bike

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dh, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. Dh

    Dh Guest

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/03/10/bikes.gps1.reut/index.html

    GPS bicycles used to bait thieves Wednesday, March 10, 2004

    AMSTERDAM, Holland (Reuters) -- Amsterdam police will use
    bicycles equipped with hidden GPS transmitters to bait
    thieves and track them down in the latest effort to stamp
    out rampant bike theft, a police spokesman said Tuesday.

    Cycling is a way of life in the pancake-flat Netherlands,
    which boasts more bicycles than its 16 million inhabitants,
    and in Amsterdam alone an estimated 80,000-150,000 bicycles
    -- over one tenth of the total -- are stolen every year.

    "It would be great to get hold of the organized bicycle
    thieves, to track the whereabouts of stolen bikes and see if
    any end up in an official bicycle shops," Amsterdam police
    spokesman Rob van der Veen said. "We just want to do
    everything we can to combat bicycle theft and are going to
    use new GPS technology."

    In a campaign starting in spring, police will leave locked
    bikes with secret GPS emitters in Amsterdam's bike theft
    hotspots such as the historic city center. GPS, the
    worldwide radio-navigation system used for shipping and
    military purposes, enables users to pinpoint the position,
    speed and time to locate themselves or an object.

    Bike theft is so widespread in the capital that rental
    shops won't let customers leave without giving them a crash
    course on bike locking -- attaching both wheels to the
    frame, and chaining the bicycle to a fixed object, such as
    a bike stand.

    Van ver Veen said the initiative targeted professional
    bicycle thieves, those who scour the city at night and steal
    several bikes at a time putting them in vans or trailers.

    According to a Web Site campaigning against bike theft in
    Amsterdam (www.fietsendiefstal.nl), 40 percent of bike
    thieves are professionals while 30 percent are drug addicts
    who sell stolen bikes as quickly as possible to pay for
    their next fix.

    The remainder are usually impulsive thieves, sometimes
    students or youths -- and very often drunk -- who steal a
    bike to get home after their own was pinched.

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Why did they publish it before they did it. Anyone who knows
    anything about GPS knows it doesn't work inside. They can
    just steal the bikes and shove them in a van. Then they can
    look for the unit and disable it. It was really STUPID of
    them they should have just done it and not told the world.

    news:[email protected]...