UK and Europe · Public discussion

DX 7-speed MTB thumbshifters

Started by Zog The Undeniable · · Last activity · 3 posts · 433 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 June 2004
Last activity
27 June 2004
Original author
Zog The Undeniable
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
433
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone ever taken the indexed one apart? Mine was getting sticky and
    gear changing was atrocious, so I've disassembled it (if you do this
    there's a sneaky left hand thread on the main nut holding everything
    together), cleaned all the parts, which aren't worn, and reassembled in
    the exact reverse order. Needless to say something is not right and the
    shift lever hardly moves, although the friction/SIS lever works OK. I'm
    thinking there must be a knack to getting the shift lever in the right
    position relative to the baseplate against the force of the spring,
    before putting the two little steel balls in - a bit like turning a rear
    mech pivot bolt before putting the circlip on.

    The old 6-speed one I took apart years ago had about 4 parts - this has
    more like 12! I blame the Light Action gubbins, which is why there's a
    fairly powerful spring in there.

  2. in message <40dee20e.0@entanet>, Zog The Undeniable

    (') said:

    Anyone ever taken the indexed one apart? Mine was getting sticky and
    gear changing was atrocious, so I've disassembled it (if you do this
    there's a sneaky left hand thread on the main nut holding everything
    together), cleaned all the parts, which aren't worn, and reassembled
    in the exact reverse order. Needless to say something is not right and
    the
    shift lever hardly moves, although the friction/SIS lever works OK.
    I'm thinking there must be a knack to getting the shift lever in the
    right position relative to the baseplate against the force of the
    spring, before putting the two little steel balls in - a bit like
    turning a rear mech pivot bolt before putting the circlip on.

    SRAM gripshifts (at least the lower models) are quite cheap and _vastly_
    better. Today I did my first reasonably long trip on my Mantra, which
    has Shimano XT mechs but came with no shifters so I experimentally
    fitted fifteen quid SRAM ones because I wanted to try something
    different, and I'm hugely impressed. Shifting is almost gestural, you
    can change as many cogs at the back as you want in one go, and you can
    _trim_ _the_ _front_, which is a thing which has always annoyed me
    about 'rapidfire'.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel
    has been switched off.

  3. Simon Brooke [email hidden] opined the following...

    Quoted message said:

    SRAM gripshifts (at least the lower models) are quite cheap and _vastly_
    better.

    The cheapness comes with a price. The mechanism for holding the rotating
    column into the base is a small plastic tag. After 1 week on the bent,
    this snapped. Please note that there is no force on the handlebars at
    all. I agree that the shifting is good, but I don't expect to have to
    replace shifters on a weekly basis. My bar-end levers are now on order!

    Jon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.