Dymotech S12 revisited

Mikael Seierup

Guest
I believe someone here robbed a bank and bought the 12V Busch und Müller light system.

How is it holding up? Does it produce much drag and how much light do you get. Enough for pitchblack
roads? Had a chance to test in snow and slush?

Anyone got the Dymotech S6 and have any thoughts on its practicality? (see above)

Mikael

news:<[email protected]>...
> I believe someone here robbed a bank and bought the 12V Busch und Müller light system.
>
> How is it holding up? Does it produce much drag and how much light do you get. Enough for
> pitchblack roads? Had a chance to test in snow and slush?
>
> Anyone got the Dymotech S6 and have any thoughts on its practicality? (see above)
>
> Mikael
I'm the one that has the S12 How is it holding up? just fine

Does it produce much drag? More than my SON but less than other bottle gens

and how much light do you get. Enough for pitchblack roads? More light than my SON and enough for
pitch black roads

Had a chance to test in snow and slush? No. No way it would work with the standard roller.The wire
brush roller is supposed to work in wet rainy conditions but will tear up your tires if you use it
much. SON has a 12volt in the works. You might have to rob 2 banks though.

>Mikael Seierup at [email protected] wrote: Anyone got the Dymotech S6 and have any thoughts
>on its practicality?

I have the S6, the Lumotech front headlight and a rear light. They work fairly well, but I also add
blinkies for more visibility. Currently <hee hee> I have a full body fairing that makes the front
headlight inside the enclosure and it causes me to subtly glow like a firefly. I chose to add a 10W
halogen for extra road surface and urban recognition visibility. The drawbacks of the S6 is the
slightly noticable drag ( compared to Lightspin dynamos and in the serious wet and snow the contact
with the wheel is intemittent.

This is a really nerdy question, but does anyone know how the electronics in the S6 / S12 work?
According to the Busch & Muller website their dynamos are more efficient than most, because the
regulation doesn't have to be in the dynamo.

Lots of people on uk.rec.cycling and elsewhere already considered building regulators, but found
that putting diode rectification in the circuit hit efficiency badly. Some people suggested using
low-dropout rectifiers but this was deemed complicated. I wondered if there might be a third way...

Just curious,

Kit